Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what would you do

• 19-02-2011 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭

was walking my dog on lead today another dog not on lead, comes up starts annoying my dog, they get into a fight , what would you do the stop the fight yell ! try and walk away ! boot other dog up the backside ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

swift kick up the hole for the rogue dog..provided its not a pitbull or somethign similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

swift kick up the hole for the rogue dog..provided its not a pitbull or somethign similar!

What's it's breed got to do with it?

I'm not arguing with the "kick up the hole" element, sometimes it's necessary as a last resort and I'll admit to do doing the same myself in similar circumstances (and not being proud of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I think it would depend on the situation and the size of the dog's fighting. Yelling would be pointless regardless as it will only rile the dogs up. I would be a bit reluctant in giving the other dog the boot as it could turn around and attack my foot, but I think if it meant the difference in my dog being mauled or not I would try it. I think someone posted a thread before with a similar topic on how best to separate two dogs fighting.
    I think grabbing hold of the other dog's collar and twisting it to cut off the air supply can work but is obviously dangerous. Throwing a bucket of water over both the dogs would also be a good idea but most people don't carry buckets of water with them on walks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

If you do see a strange dog walking up to yours the worst thing in the world you could do is start pulling your dog back, this will send all the wrong signals and actually cause the aggression you want to avoid, very few dogs will want to start a fight when meeting each other unless they receive the wrong signals. I would always let my dogs have a sniff of other dogs when out walking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I think it would depend on the situation and the size of the dog's fighting. Yelling would be pointless regardless as it will only rile the dogs up. I would be a bit reluctant in giving the other dog the boot as it could turn around and attack my foot, but I think if it meant the difference in my dog being mauled or not I would try it. I think someone posted a thread before with a similar topic on how best to separate two dogs fighting.
    I think grabbing hold of the other dog's collar and twisting it to cut off the air supply can work but is obviously dangerous. Throwing a bucket of water over both the dogs would also be a good idea but most people don't carry buckets of water with them on walks!

it was a sheepdog , sticking my arm inbetween two fighting dogs does not make sense , cheers

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Happened to me a few weeks ago, the moment the dog latched onto my fella, I grabbed him by the scruff (had no collar) and pulled him off. Luckily, the OH was there and could walk on ahead until out of sight. I eventually let go of him and the dog ran off, but it's as annoying as hell when crap like that happens. I wouldn't advise doing it my way though, if you dont get the proper grip, then you'll most likely be an aggro dog's next target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nothing like a bit of water to cool them down but you won't always have a full water bottle with you

Shouting isn't going to do anything, it'll have to be a swift kick as per post 2

Maybe a kick for the owner too who let their dog loose to attack your lad who was on a leash

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

Was the dog just loose on the street? Any sign of owner?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A few years ago i was out walking my GSD on the leash but not muzzled. We walked 2/3 times a day about 2/3 mins from home i seem his ears and head pop up when he sees another dog. As we get nearer i realise its a pit bull and it is un-muzzled and off the leash and his owner is in his 60s. Once his dog sees mine he charges across the road and the 2 of them start going at it. I grab the pit bull by the collar and lift it and throw it a few feet away. It comes back and I smash it in the face with a kick ROG would be proud off. It still comes back and only when i pull the leg back for part 2 does it relent.

The owner says i am cruel to animals etc for kicking a dog. Luckily enough my own dog would have been more than capable holding his own and from growing up with GSD/rotties they hold no fear for me so i had no problem sticking my hand in to pull the pitbull away. But once it came back all bets were off and I was there to protect my dog.

As i said to the owner if that had been a child with a king charles (or other mini rat type dog) serious damage would have been done to the dog and the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I think I would panic! Last resort I'd give the pooch a nice kick.. if I knew/found out who the owner was I'd report him and he'd have a nasty fine on his hands.

• Advertisement

daisling wrote: »
    Was the dog just loose on the street? Any sign of owner?

no owner was there, was in glendalough but a tourist so no point losing the plot with them, pissed me off though .

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

IMO it depends on the circumstances if it was a sheepdog in the country then it is to be expected as they are generally not tied up. How did you manage in the end. I met a woman in local wood when my dog was about 6 months she had two german shepards off the leash she saw us from way off and her two dogs were very agressive when they saw us. My big gental giant protected myself and my son and turned into a monster and sent the two running. Owner said I should have her muzzled in public, I could not believe it I was clinging on to the leash all the time so I lost it with her, if she had of just said sorry I would have been fine but don't complain about my dog.

daisling wrote: »
    IMO it depends on the circumstances if it was a sheepdog in the country then it is to be expected as they are generally not tied up. How did you manage in the end. I met a woman in local wood when my dog was about 6 months she had two german shepards off the leash she saw us from way off and her two dogs were very agressive when they saw us. My big gental giant protected myself and my son and turned into a monster and sent the two running. Owner said I should have her muzzled in public, I could not believe it I was clinging on to the leash all the time so I lost it with her, if she had of just said sorry I would have been fine but don't complain about my dog.

hi it was an old english sheepdog, and it was not on a farm it was a tourists dog , i gave it a kick up the hole which i am not proud of, but my dog got attcked by two other dogs last summer and i had to bring her to the vet for stitches which is not cheap , after that i made up my mind if another dog attacks mine i am not just going to smile at the other owner . If there is two of them in it acting up fair enough.

Advertisement