Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DFR / verusus FETAC 5 first aid

• 19-02-2011 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Can anyone tell me if a Diver sit's a DFR course ( Diver first responder ) and well done to the Diver and a Diver has done a FETAC 5 Course what is better I know the DFR is a one day the FETAC 5 is more intence 3 day course would if ther were problems would the FETAC Diver take a more experienced roll and not to take away from the DFR Course.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Are you sure you're up to speed with current DFR and not the DER which it replaced?

I did the DFR recently and it took 2 days. Very worthwhile course.

The first day is actually PHECC's (Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council) CFR (Cardiac First Responder) course. It deals with more general first aid topics of heart attack victims, choking, strokes etc with a very good practical session on each. You do CPR on adults, infants and children manikins, learn to use a defibrillator, bandage cuts etc. Course fee included CFR course book, bandages for practice and a cpr mask.

The second day is, I think, pretty much an update of the old DER course and deals with diving related topics such as oxygen administration (with practical sessions too). This is all CFT lectures and can probably be found in their download section.

There's a written test at the end of each day and you're continually assessed on the practical sessions. See some more info here: http://www.cft.ie/ndodfr.htm

I've no experience of the "FETAC 5 Course". If you send me a link I can compare content. Does it deal with diving-related first aid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

The FETAC Level 5 course (Occupational First Aid) is aimed at persons in their place of work, or indeed in their community. Contents include:

First Aid in the Workplace;
    Patient Assessment;
    Respiratory Emergencies;
    Cardiac First Response;
    Wounds and Bleeding;
    Altered Levels of Consciousness;
    Musculoskeletal Injuries;
    Burns, Scalds, Chemicals, Poisons, Electric Shock;
    A.E.D. Awareness

Practical sessions are done involving six of the above.

You will notice that there is a distinct lack of content on any water-related emergencies.

As previous poster has said, CFT site has details of DFR and comprises one day CFR plus second devoted to diving emergencies and handling of same.

As to one over the other, if you are looking for employment then the FETAC course is for you. If you are aiming to obtain skills pertaining to our sport then there's only one choice.

As to ability to perform by the First Aider, if there is a dive casualty on a boat the FETAC will not have shown you O2 or given you the knowledge with which to make a diagnosis with any degree of certainty.
    If the casualty falls/hits his head/concussion the OFA will stand to you.

My advice is to do any one of them - you'll be twice as skilled as you are now.

Seadeuce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

By the way if you pass the DFR you get two certs. CFT's DFR cert for the logbook as well as an independent PHECC CFR certificate which will stand to you when applying for non diving-related jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 galloway.jimmy@

Thank you everyone for their input and I am looking forward to doing the CFT Course which will add to my FETAC 5 Course and as was said it will only help having both.

Advertisement