Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone need just one shoe?! Top Brands/Brand New

Options
  • 19-02-2011 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Is there anyone out there who is, or knows an amputee who has to buy a pair of shoes and only ever uses one, yet still pays full price?
    I am thinking of designing a simple website with a database of single shoes to choose from. These would be brand new and top brand names. What I'm looking to find out is if this would be beneficial to anyone out there in this situation.
    Depending on the amount of feedback and level of demand, I am in the position to set up such a website. This is non profit, only postage charges incurred
    Further details can be given, but for now I am just looking to see if there is the demand for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Hi OP, I know this is going to sound really pessimistic, but i doubt very much that there would be any demand for it. Most amputee's go on to have prosthetics fitted so would use both shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Is there anyone out there who is, or knows an amputee who has to buy a pair of shoes and only ever uses one, yet still pays full price?
    I am thinking of designing a simple website with a database of single shoes to choose from. These would be brand new and top brand names. What I'm looking to find out is if this would be beneficial to anyone out there in this situation.
    Depending on the amount of feedback and level of demand, I am in the position to set up such a website. This is non profit, only postage charges incurred
    Further details can be given, but for now I am just looking to see if there is the demand for this.

Hmmmm... First post, Adam. Me thinks he might be pulling my leg. Excuse the pun....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

appleb If you have a problem with a post - please use the Report Post functionality. Do not add noise to the thread.

OP - as the second poster pointed out, a lot of amputees probably have prosthetics and therefore buy two shoes. I can't see a lot of demand for single shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

Doubt there would be much interest in single shoes but how about being able to buy a pair of shoes in two different sizes?
    My right foot is nearly a full size smaller than my left so it's impossible to have perfectly fitting shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Do most amputees not get a prosthetic leg? Fairly sure you can just wear normal shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I think there would be little demand for a business like this, Your best hope would be to discuss it with some target customers and see how they usually source footwear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Adam Philip

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    I have worked for one of the major fashion shoe retailers for just over 7 years and in this time i have served people in all kinds of different situations- amputees with prosthetic legs/feet who like you say need two different sizes or others that have yet to receive a prosthetic due to finance or waiting to come of age before having a prosthetic made to fit etc.
    In all of these cases the customers in question all love fashion and in the past have had to resort to lower quality brands because of extra cost or frustration of paying for great brands and not having use for the other foot.

I guess i was testing the water to see if any of these people would like me to start this service.

In a nut shell its a free of charge shoe, brand new, top brands all people need to do is pay for postage and ill sort it all out on my time.

If anyone has any suggestions about other boards or forums that could possible catch the eye of the people that might use this service please let me know.

Once i have proof that i have a use for these odd shoes, ill be able to show my directors at work that i can put them to good use and they will give the green light to take this further and start helping people.

thanks for your time.

All the best Adam Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Been tried before. A shoe-matching service.

Problem... most amputees wear two shoes.

Your market is tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Adam Philip

A tiny market is not a problem for me, im not looking to make money, if i help just one person it will be all worth while.

On top of that you never know i might be able to get my hands of some odd pairs 6right 7left for example. Im sure id find a taker for them.

i am starting to get the feeling that im waisting my time with this......but sure its my time so ill keep this going till someone comes back with something positive.

thanks for your feedback

Adam Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

That's a lovely idea, have you considered contacting any of the amputee support groups in Ireland, they would probably know whether demand is there or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bubblybox

Hi there,

My great aunt had only one leg (not an amputee, it just never developed as a child) and I think she was an exception in that she didnt have a prosthesis - i.e. as already discussed most amputees will still require two shoes.

Also in my aunts case she was always lucky in that shops, mainly boyers, arnotts and roches (as it used to be!) were always very obliging with A: giving her a discount as they knew she only required one shoe and B: they always were brilliant at keeping shoes that had lost there other halves for her and C: some departments (more high end) get in a display shoe - as she got to know the ladies in the department stores they would keep her these shoes!

Great idea, and having lived with someone with this issue my heart says go for it but my limited business knowledge would worry!

Good luck x
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

My best friends mam had her leg amputated almost 4 years ago, she had the whole leg and part of her backside removed.

She has a prostethic leg, but cant wear it so uses her crutches and wears skirts all the time but I know it drives her mad buying one shoe!

My cousin was also the same, he used to buy docs and always found spending 100 odd pound for one shoe he needed horrible!

OP I think its a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lsalaree

My husband was in a lawmower accident as a 2yr old, and lost part of his right foot. As a result he must buy two pair of shoes everytime he gets new shoes. (one size 7.5, one size 10) Very expensive since he is a runner, and gets new running shoes 4-6 times a year. Many times he cant find the same style in the two sizes he needs, and has to settle for a different style, or wear one shoes too big/small.

We have been looking for somewhere to donate the other shoes from each pair. We have a stack of shoe boxes that contain one pair of shoes, but two different sizes. And having a place to buy just one shoe, of each size would really be great for him. I think you would be surprised how many stories like my husbands are out there, where being able to buy shoes that actually fit each foot would be wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

I think this is a fantastic idea. The OP got some unfortunate feedback at the start, but there obviously is a market for this, even if it is a somewhat small one-it exists. A number of amputees who either physically can not, or choose not to use a prosthetic. My mother is one such who can not, and today shes gotten a couple of pairs of shoes, of which one half of each are spare and destined for the scrapheap-which seems practically sinful. It doesnt feel like a non-issue when you end up putting new shoes in the bin.

As she remembers there used to be a charity in England maybe 20 years ago called something like Soulmate, but it seems it may have gone defunct. (A small market!) If the OP has done anymore on this, (last post of 3 was in Feb 11 so possibly chance long gone) or anyone knows any other charity/organisation it would be great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement