Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Def Leppard In Ireland - 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

This is going to be awesome.I'm specifically going to see Lizzy but does anybody know if Def Leppard play Rocket in their sets nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Rud wrote: »
    This is going to be awesome.I'm specifically going to see Lizzy but does anybody know if Def Leppard play Rocket in their sets nowadays?

Yep, was about 3/4 through the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Yep, was about 3/4 through the set.

Sound.Cheers man

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Spoiler in link.

Is this the full Alice Cooper Setlist? It seems very short for the amount of time he had.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/alice-cooper/2011/odyssey-arena-belfast-northern-ireland-5bd32fd8.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Nah, I'd guess he played around 13 songs, it was exactly 60mins he played. Similar to this setlist Link

Should probably mention that Lizzy had terrible sound, could be why I didn't enjoy them so much. I tried with and without earplugs and didn't make much difference. The sound the rest of the night was very good, in particular DL.

• Advertisement

Nah, I'd guess he played around 13 songs, it was exactly 60mins he played. Similar to this setlist Link

Should probably mention that Lizzy had terrible sound, could be why I didn't enjoy them so much. I tried with and without earplugs and didn't make much difference. The sound the rest of the night was very good, in particular DL.

Thats great, thanks. I was looking forward to seeing Alice and when I seen only 8 songs I was disappointed. around 13 songs is cool. Cheers dude! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

CiaranK wrote: »
    Thats great, thanks. I was looking forward to seeing Alice and when I seen only 8 songs I was disappointed. around 13 songs is cool. Cheers dude! :)

Ciaran if he was only doing 2 songs he'd be class ;-)

think I'll just stay for the first half of the Leppard set, get a bus home - unless Joe's voice is on top form (something I've yet to hear in 3 attempts) like people have said it was last night....

NIBBS wrote: »
    Ciaran if he was only doing 2 songs he'd be class ;-)

think I'll just stay for the first half of the Leppard set, get a bus home - unless Joe's voice is on top form (something I've yet to hear in 3 attempts) like people have said it was last night....

Hiya Nibbs!

Yeah thats very true. I've wanted to see him for the last two tours but he didn't play here. Really looking forward to it. Joes voice was meant to be great last night. We'll just have to see.

What time are people hading in at?

Hiya Nibbs!

Yeah thats very true. I've wanted to see him for the last two tours but he didn't play here. Really looking forward to it. Joes voice was meant to be great last night. We'll just have to see.

What time are people hading in at?

Last time I saw Alice was in Vicar St - just class showman.....

yeah I heard Joe was in fine form - they didn't finish last night till 11:55 - but if they are flying I'll probably stay.......

I'm headin straight from work, handy working in town sometimes........think I'll go to the barrier if I can get there, same stage Leppard have had the last couple of tours with a walkway in the middle so should be easy enough.....

Last time I saw Alice was in Vicar St - just class showman.....

yeah I heard Joe was in fine form - they didn't finish last night till 11:55 - but if they are flying I'll probably stay.......

I'm headin straight from work, handy working in town sometimes........think I'll go to the barrier if I can get there, same stage Leppard have had the last couple of tours with a walkway in the middle so should be easy enough.....

I'll hopefully get there for 5:30, I want a spot at the barrier too. Might end up beside each other! :)

• Advertisement

I'll hopefully get there for 5:30, I want a spot at the barrier too. Might end up beside each other! :)

ah you're always following me ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Any reports on how good/bad it was?

Lots of footage up already

It's s shame, Joe seems so motionless from past performances, I seen him with the Down N' Outz in April and he almost seemed to have more passion performing with them....check it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

All 3 bands were superb. Alice Cooper came very close to stealing the show from Def Leppard but they were brilliant too. Amazing sound last night. You could feel the power coming from the stage.

Really good crowd I thought too. Well up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Alice Cooper stole the show for me, absolutely brilliant. Thin Lizzy were also great...although a little too emo looking for my liking :pac:

Def Leppard reminded me how much I really can't stand them. They're good at what they do...I just really don't like what they do. Left after half of their show as I just couldn't take any more.

Great night though, worth it for Alice Cooper alone.

setanta74 wrote: »
    All 3 bands were superb. Alice Cooper came very close to stealing the show from Def Leppard but they were brilliant too. Amazing sound last night. You could feel the power coming from the stage.

Really good crowd I thought too. Well up for it.

Alice easily stole the show for me......thought he was really outstanding last night, great set.....

enjoyed Lizzy, but they aren't as tight as they should be......

Leppard are Leppard, a well oiled and slick machine, I actually thought Joe looked more up for it last night than some other times I've seen them, that's the 4th time in 3 years, so I ducked out a bit early to get home.......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I thought it was fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of any of the acts, but was well impressed by all of them.

Alice Cooper blew the others away, though. It was bizarre and brilliant. You'll not get many sixty year olds coming on stage with swords, balloons, dead hookers, guillotine, giant monsters and their own paparazzi.

It's funny how so many modern bands lose their sound after a couple of years, but these three still sound spot on (with the obvious exception of Thin Lizzy's mortally challenged members).

DSC_0801.jpg

I had to take a picture of a proper rock bassist humping his instrument.
    DSC_0818.jpg

DSC_0883.jpg

DSC_0908.jpg

DSC_0944.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Doc_46

Nice pics!
    We were standing 10 meters in front of the sound desk and I'm Def as a post this morning. I went to see Lizzy really.
    It was a shame Viv Campbell didn't play with Lizzy (came on with Def Lep ),perhaps then the guys on the desk might have made a better effort...You couldn't hear the stand in's (whoever he was) solo's for the first half of their performance.
    I had no Idea what to expect from Mr Cooper, but he stole the show!
    It was a complete Hoot from start to finish.
    Maybe I'm being a bit picky, but I thought Leppard had SERIOUS tuning
    issues..?
    At least they toned down the whole union jack Bullsh*t a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nyconuntouch

Overall a good show. Alice Cooper defo took the show. Dep Lep great show.

Thin Lizzy was actually the main band i wanted to see, and to be honest i thought they were quite the let down. Sound was off, and set wasnt exactly tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Doc_46 wrote: »
    At least they toned down the whole union jack Bullsh*t a bit.

Didn't stop the arseholes booing though, as usual.

Great night (if a bloody long one!). I'd never seen Lizzy before in any shape or form, so was delighted to finally see them, despite the sound not being the best. I think Ricky Warwick does a good job considering no-one can really replace the irreplaceable. The Coop was brilliant, although I'm a huge fan anyway. A lot of classicks aired and they still sound great. The Ireland shirt suits him, too. Leppard put in a good shift, but I thought it took a while to warm up, even though the sound had improved noticeably by then.

I was close to the end of the runway on the stage so I'll hopefully get a few pics up at some point (sic). I don't know if I'd be able to do it all again on Saturday night though, couldn't move at the end!

A had a long post typed up and then I lost it so I'm just going to make this short and sweet! I was right up at the barrier and what I noticed was the sheer volume of the gig. My camera picks up gigs in amazing sound quality, but this is the first one when it was muffled. You can see in the video below and you can see the difference on the others from the youtube channel. I don't know whether that was because I was at the front. These three guys there for Alice Cooper moved back after Alice and gave me there spot at the barrier! Thanks to them.

Thin Lizzy - Disappointed, Too loud/muffled, three guitars and keyboards lost the Lizzy sound, bad sound.

Alice - Amazing, Start to finish was spectacular, delighted we got the whole stage show with props etc I didn't think we would, Loved when he came out in the Ireland jersey that was a nice touch, He was just perfect!!

Def Leppard - As usual they were brilliant! Joe's voice in paticular was spot on, Def Leppard are great at what they do and I love what they do!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3CQPtCKQxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0QmpIf7I_A

• Advertisement

A had a long post typed up and then I lost it so I'm just going to make this short and sweet! I was right up at the barrier and what I noticed was the sheer volume of the gig. My camera picks up gigs in amazing sound quality, but this is the first one when it was muffled. You can see in the video below and you can see the difference on the others from the youtube channel. I don't know whether that was because I was at the front. These three guys there for Alice Cooper moved back after Alice and gave me there spot at the barrier! Thanks to them.

Thin Lizzy - Disappointed, Too loud/muffled, three guitars and keyboards lost the Lizzy sound, bad sound.

Alice - Amazing, Start to finish was spectacular, delighted we got the whole stage show with props etc I didn't think we would, Loved when he came out in the Ireland jersey that was a nice touch, He was just perfect!!

Def Leppard - As usual they were brilliant! Joe's voice in paticular was spot on, Def Leppard are great at what they do and I love what they do!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3CQPtCKQxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0QmpIf7I_A

Hi Ciaran,

I noticed the volume too, I was on the right side of the walkway and again was on the barrier for Def Leppard (until I headed off anyway)......

to be honest I don't think Lizzy's set was over the top volume wise, but at the same time, the sound was pretty poor and hard to pick out stuff.....

as I've said Alice was immense......but I thought the volume got switched up a couple of levels when they started, and Leppard the same was very loud, Joe was getting the desk to bring up his vocals after the 1st song......it wasn't ear splitting loud like the Machine Head gig in the Olympia last year, but noticable all the same.......didn't spoil my enjoyment of the gig either way so that's all that counts to me......;)

I'll have a look at the clips I took when I get home and throw them up if they are any good.....

Hi Ciaran,

I noticed the volume too, I was on the right side of the walkway and again was on the barrier for Def Leppard (until I headed off anyway)......

to be honest I don't think Lizzy's set was over the top volume wise, but at the same time, the sound was pretty poor and hard to pick out stuff.....

as I've said Alice was immense......but I thought the volume got switched up a couple of levels when they started, and Leppard the same was very loud, Joe was getting the desk to bring up his vocals after the 1st song......it wasn't ear splitting loud like the Machine Head gig in the Olympia last year, but noticable all the same.......didn't spoil my enjoyment of the gig either way so that's all that counts to me......;)

I'll have a look at the clips I took when I get home and throw them up if they are any good.....

Cool, It didn't take away from the gig, if anything the volume added to it. It wasn't that Lizzy was too loud, it was just there was too much going on. Too many guitars. Hard to make out what was what.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Doc_46

Cool, It didn't take away from the gig, if anything the volume added to it. It wasn't that Lizzy was too loud, it was just there was too much going on. Too many guitars. Hard to make out what was what.

I think a major factor for Lizzy’s problems has to be the fact that Vivian Campbell who has been touring with them
    (recent Late Late show appearance, Slane & Castlebar) chose to play solely with Def Lep. on the night. I’ve no idea who the stand in was….
    but you couldn’t expect them to be as tight as they should be…..Bring back Johnny Sykes!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,436 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really Enjoyed the gig last night was in Block F the view was good.

Thin Lizzy- First time seeing Thin Lizzy, really enjoyed them, knew all the songs. Ricky has a totally different voice than Phil had and belive he done the songs well. Really nice gesture to just introduce Brian Downey and Scott Gorham to the crowd. Vivs stand in Richard Fortus (current Guns N Roses Gutarist) was very good and was going out of his mind on some songs on stage wonder why his hands arent broken lol. Would go to see then again.

It was a bit of a bummer the wait between Thin Lizzy and Alice Cooper but understandably alices stage had to be set up.

Alice Cooper- Really entertaining gig, although i was a bit lost in the storyline (if there was one). Never knew he had such good songs and good entertainer. Not as good as kiss last year but for one person he put on a hell of a show. Really like the song out of Waynes World (Feed My Frankinstein) and then the big frankinstein coming out. Some mircle that he came out alive after getting his head chopped off lol but to come back with Scools Out/Brick in the wall was cool to end the show. Hopefully he will come back to Ireland soon.

Def Leppard- Ive been a def leppard fan for the past year and really enjoyed my first time seeing them, loved the classics Animal, Photograph, Pour some sugar on me, Rock of Ages. One thing which was a bit of a downer was the intro Undeafted although it was done well, i suspect not many people knew the song. The crowd didnt really start going till about mid gig. Really enjoyed the Acoustic part of the gig and the classics were performed brillently. Cant believe how many people left early and some of them missed some of the best songs of the night. The encore was good and what happed to the curfew in the o2 it was 12.10 when the gig ended.

Really happy i got to see one of my favorite bands and than have Thin Lizzy and Alice Cooper thrown in there too. 4.5 hours of music for 70 euro is not too bad.

Now looking forward to Saturday night (Journey and Foreigner) why could they not play next week i think 3 days is a bit too soon but Joruney had the gig planned since last xmas and hopefully it will be a kick ass gig

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Cant believe how many people left early and some of them missed some of the best songs of the night. The encore was good and what happed to the curfew in the o2 it was 12.10 when the gig ended.

Now looking forward to Saturday night (Journey and Foreigner) why could they not play next week i think 3 days is a bit too soon but Joruney had the gig planned since last xmas and hopefully it will be a kick ass gig

personally I had to be in work early this morning and I've a load of gigs this week, so instead of having to get a taxi I went early for a bus, add to that that I've seen Leppard a lot in recent times......I very rarely leave a gig early, but knowing that Belfast didn't finish till 12 on Tuesday it just made sense for me, there did seem to be a fair few people with little interest in Leppard - a lot of people certainly disappeared from the front when Alice finished.......

think yourself lucky, I'm at Mr.Big on Monday and The Cult on Tuesday (and still thinking I might hit Cheap Trick on Wed.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

NIBBS, are you me? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Doc_46 wrote: »
    I think a major factor for Lizzy’s problems has to be the fact that Vivian Campbell who has been touring with them
    (recent Late Late show appearance, Slane & Castlebar) chose to play solely with Def Lep. on the night. I’ve no idea who the stand in was….
    but you couldn’t expect them to be as tight as they should be…..Bring back Johnny Sykes!

Richard Fortus is the stand in and the last night he played the 02 was quite different in many ways. He is a member of the current Guns 'N' Roses line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I'm not a fan of any of these three but thought that Thin Lizzy were ok, Alice was very good but didn't take to Def Lep at all.

I think the concert was simply too long.

Def Lep played their best towards the end of their set and I was too tired by then. As a Def Lep neutral this was a bad performance. I probably should have drank more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

rednik wrote: »
    Richard Fortus is the stand in and the last night he played the 02 was quite different in many ways. He is a member of the current Guns 'N' Roses line up.
    I wonder if he noticed a difference from the last time he played here. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bikerjohn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Alice Cooper stole the show for me, absolutely brilliant. Thin Lizzy were also great...although a little too emo looking for my liking :pac:

Def Leppard reminded me how much I really can't stand them. They're good at what they do...I just really don't like what they do. Left after half of their show as I just couldn't take any more.

Great night though, worth it for Alice Cooper alone.

You said it all for me ^^^^^^^^^:D:D

Advertisement