Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your anti-inspiration...!

• 19-02-2011 9:39pm

Just a bit of craic really! We're all musicians here, from guitaists (10 a penny:P), Bassists (2 for a euro), singers (2 for a fiver), Drummers (worth their weight in gold) and the assorted (priceless!)

But do you have that performer in your life, the one that when you tell someone you play a certain instrument (say guitar) and someone turns around and says, "Oh you must love Satriani) or to a drummer, "Oh you must love Bozio"

and you just can't stand them...

Or you're listening to an album (and in my case) I hear the laziest bassline or a bassline that adds nothing to a song, just playing the root notes. It just may as well not be there....

My Anti-inspiration is one of those. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you my anti-inspiration, the one guy I never want to play songs by, the guy that nearly turned me off the band with the most bland, plain basslines of all time...
    BenShepherd.jpg

Ben Shepherd from Soundgarden!

I was listening to Superunknown earlier and while I do love the album, as a bassplayer, it's almost impossible for me to listen to with the bland boring zzzzzzz factor basslines.

Honourable mention goes to Rex in Pantera. Unless I concentrate REALLY hard, I still can't hear the bass on Vulgar Display...

That's mine, anyone want to confess their anti-inspirations?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Sadly, two of the popular bands/musicians I am frequently compared too, I despise. Billy Corgan and Muse. :(

No one ever says it as an insult, but it always kills me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

ringo-starr-01-copy.jpg

He's not up to par really.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    ringo-starr-01-copy.jpg

He's not up to par really.

Not even the best drummer in the beatles! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Where to start... :P

SRV, Slash, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen... Then I might protest that I'm into sorta unorthodox guitar playing, with lots of signal processing and weirder sounds, then I get asked about Matt Bellamy and The Edge... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Haven't been compared to them but there are a few anti inspirations which drive me in what I do. Any hipster band or bands like KOL, Razorlight, The Strokes drive me to write the anti music to what they produce.

I was once told to stop showing off on guitar but an audience member, the set up was a kind of musicians anarchic collaborative jamming session and a bunch of people walked in and started dictating the songs played etc, this drove me show off even more, every song since has a guitar solo or a big riff, but I've relaxed up on this after 7 years of epic solos. More importantly I just write what I write because I like to, but the oppositional music forces add an extra level of momentum. So while I like complex prog/metal music the fact that a lot of people don't like it adds an extra impetus to not compromise or negotiate with my music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Drummersession

Mike Portnoy.

For some reason other musicians seem to think he's the best in the business when in fact he's nauseatingly average.

Neil Peart is another.

I suppose it's the 'look at me, I'm hitting everything and the kitchen sink' approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

Mike Portnoy.

For some reason other musicians seem to think he's the best in the business when in fact he's nauseatingly average.

Neil Peart is another.

I suppose it's the 'look at me, I'm hitting everything and the kitchen sink' approach.

Cant Stand MP and Dream theatre in General! dont get why everyone love him....he does the exact same fill over and over and over and over again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dhmusic

My anti-inspiration are those people you have to meet at some ****ty family occasion type thing and someone tells the natives you're in a band and they all start trying to give you advice. "would you not try going on the x factor" or some similar braindead clueless comment. Why do non musical people think that they can give a musician advice? they wouldn't tell anyone else how they should be doing their job.

That other voices thing for unsigned irish bands on RTE over the weekend was a big anti-inspiration for me, some of the bands on that were just plain ****e, you can call it avant garde or post punk or whatever name people like to give crap genres of music but there are better unsigned irish bands around than the sludge that was on that show. It was the typical RTE types, every band more than likely has some relative who works in RTE who got them onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

As a Soul Singer a big anti-inspiration is "the Commitments". Every time you try to tell someone who isnt a serious music lover you are in a Soul Band, they invariably start asking "so d'ya do Mustang Sally then?" Or they start suggesting Commitments songs that you could do. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Major Lovechild

I stopped telling people that I write songs because some tit that I used to know suggested that I would get some ideas from listening to The Beautiful South! AAAAAAAAAArrrrgggGG!

I now tell people that my quest is to destroy good music and make the worst possible albums in human creation.
    Strange to say though, that no-one has yet to tell me that I would get some ideas from listening to The Beautiful South!

Maybe it's just me.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White. She's the drumming equivalent of Homer Simpson shouting "saxomophone".

And also almost every superdrummer in existence: Portnoy, Bozzio and the like. They're technically brilliant, but I don't look at paintings to observe the accuracy of the brush strokes. And most supermusician work is all technical chops and no songwriting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

matt-sorum.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Drummersession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

James LaBrie. Ughh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

red hot chili peppers from californication on,

Advertisement