Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking sensor trouble

• 19-02-2011 9:43pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The parking sensors are playing up in my wife's car. Long beep on first engage of reverse, then nothing. Manual just says this indicates a fault.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Is there any way to narrow this down to a specific sensor, or a wiring problem, without using VAG-COM (which I only have for my older car)?

Also can the sensors be replaced without removing the bumper? Car is 2006 A4 Avant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Don't know about VAG PDC systems, but on mine when you hold you hear against each sensor in the bumper and the system is activated, you should be able to hear a ticking sound. If the ticking is faint or non existent compared to the others, its means that sensor is dead.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Don't know about VAG PDC systems, but on mine when you hold you hear against each sensor in the bumper and the system is activated, you should be able to hear a ticking sound. If the ticking is faint or non existent compared to the others, its means that sensor is dead.

Tried that today, spot on - one of the 4 isn't clicking like the others. So I guess that sensor is shot.

Is it easy to replace one? Can they be prised out without taking off the bumper and without damaging the wiring I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Great tip about placing your ear to them.

We have just had to replace one on my wife's ford galaxy and one on my Audi. Both are 4 1/2 years old. They seem to have a lifespan. I know with my Audi q7 you have to remove the bumper and do not prise them out from the front.

It will cost around 200 to 300 euro to diagnose, remove, paint a new one and fit it. Horror story. Then again it's easy to forget they're not working and bash into something

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ashleey wrote: »
    Great tip about placing your ear to them.

We have just had to replace one on my wife's ford galaxy and one on my Audi. Both are 4 1/2 years old. They seem to have a lifespan. I know with my Audi q7 you have to remove the bumper and do not prise them out from the front.

It will cost around 200 to 300 euro to diagnose, remove, paint a new one and fit it. Horror story. Then again it's easy to forget they're not working and bash into something

Was hoping that wouldn't be the case. I assume that's dealer pricing? Complete new retrofit kits are €60 to €70. :(

If it was handy enough I'd tackle the job myself. If not I've a local mechanic I'll try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Definitely try that. The official parts are around 80 euro but the problem is diagnosis. It's still difficult for independents to get into the car systems. Taking a bumper off though is easier than you think and don't forget you have to paint the new sensor and if it is front one you have to do it properly or it will flake off really easily. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Installation completely depends on the car. I can get at my front and rear sensors no problem as they are built into removable strips in the bumper.

A lot of bumpers would have to be removed to gain access i'd imagine, but if you can find out how on your own car, you'll save yourself hundreds in labour. Most bumpers can be removed with less than 10-15 bolts, you just need to know where they are.

The sensors just plug into a wiring harness, child's play.

Advertisement