Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional Musician via Skyping

Options
  • 19-02-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Longshot here but so hoping to connect with local County Donegal musician(s) that play(s) traditional music. I live in USA, quite rural area, near Mt. St. Helens about two hours south of Seattle, Washington. I play penny whistle and unable to do sessions unless I go up into cities. No Irish music in the rural areas here. Have been trying for years to get something going to no avail. Bluegrass is the genre most popular here. Anyone willing to just try skyping and see how it goes? I completely understand if drop out, but do give a try please. Donegal is the area where my husband and I consider living on a part time basis. Rent there and keep place here. We are older couple--50ish. Please, someone be interested in giving this a try!! I do have friend in County Monaghan that has visited us in past and plays whistle but the contact is too rare with her to get anything going (quite busy doing other things and not the music). It is the music and playing that I really want to do!! Anne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not into the music myself but hopefully someone will be interested in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

impossible. The delay over the internet between countries would be far too much to stay in time with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Unfortunately Crasp is correct here, unless my broadband speed has something to do with it , when im talking to my brother in Australia it very irritating indeed.

But I'm willing to give it a go if you are , I'll play the guitar and we'll see how it goes, maybe the delay wont matter? I'll pm you my e-mail and we'll take it from there, OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Im in a trad band, we're out tomorrow night so I'll ask the other guys have they done anything like this before. I think that the delay could be a problem with live streaming alright

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You could try posting on www.thesession.org/ a world wide community of musicians that play Irish Music. You nevr know there might be some trad musicians near you.

Here's " Mad Jim and the Barbies" youl like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEJa_VgpIAc&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anne55

@Crasp....Argh, very true. Have tried it with friend in County Monaghan a couple times and not too bad but was not sure if it was our playing too.

@puffdragon.....Yeah, timing will probably be a problem. But, I am willing to try if you are. Please do send email address pm. I am still interested in seeing if this could work. Thanks so much puffdragon!!

@Northwest Art....I hear you, and thank you. Several of you are indicating the problem with live streaming. Please do get back with me. It looks like "puffdragon" may give it a go too. Please do see what you find out after talking to others you know. Having a couple of you to try this with would be outstanding! Much appreciated that you are at least checking it out.

• Advertisement

@trad.....Thanks!! I had not thought of that one. That site is in my favorites. Very good idea to maybe post there. I'll see how it goes here first. Do have two promising replies!

Anne, would you mind clicking on the "Quote" tab (down to bottom right of post) when replying to a specific post. That way we know who you are replying to.

Just send me a PM if you have any queries. :) Thanks

@MK2.........Nice, nice! Thank you for clip and introduction to these players. Makes me think that if I cannot find people to play with in person, could try to just play along with clips. That would be kind of sad though wouldn't it! Part of my frustration is playing along with CDs and learning tunes I like there and not being able to actually play with others. I really do not even know what it is like playing with others. I do have a young gal I play with twice a month that plays whistles, flute and uileann pipes that has instructed me for three years. I am obsessed with it now. Tune just ended here. Beautiful!!

muffler wrote: »
    Anne, would you mind clicking on the "Quote" tab (down to bottom right of post) when replying to a specific post. That way we know who you are replying to.

Just send me a PM if you have any queries. :) Thanks

Oh shoot, sorry. Did it work here for replying to you? Dang it anyway. Sorry to all of you that I tried to reply to and did quick reply instead of quote. Any suggestions to indicate which message is a reply to which one now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

anne55 wrote: »
    Oh shoot, sorry. Did it work here for replying to you? Dang it anyway. Sorry to all of you that I tried to reply to and did quick reply instead of quote. Any suggestions to indicate which message is a reply to which one now?

You should be able to go in and edit you post still (beside the quote button) if you go and and say @Mk2 or @trad at the start of your posts that should do the trick ;)

puffdragon wrote: »
    Here's " Mad Jim and the Barbies" youl like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEJa_VgpIAc&feature=related
    Here is hoping I reply to this right this time. Have been doing it wrong. Trying the "quote" now and see if I did it correctly. Thanks for clip. Mad Jim and the Barbies you say though? It is one of the Corrs playing Toss the Feathers, which is great too, but now you have me curious about Mad Jim. I will of course go back to You Tube and simply find Mad Jim and the Barbies in meantime. Thank you!! Also, yes, let's give the skyping a try. I replied but did quick reply instead of quote so all my replies are alone and hard to see which belongs with which.

Dont worry about it. You have the hang of it now :)

You should be able to go in and edit you post still (beside the quote button) if you go and and say @Mk2 or @trad at the start of your posts that should do the trick ;)

Geez, just keep winking at me okay as I stumble around here. Winks are good!! Still need some assistance on posting, editing in particular right now. I scrolled down to, for example, the reply I was trying to do to Northwest Art which is the reply done at "8:43." I scroll down to my actual reply and choose "Edit." Next screen shows the editing to do. Not able to figure out what I choose to match it up with Northwest Art message to me. I can choose quote or edit at editing screen but looks like I may be replying to my reply then. How do I know I am changing the edits are indeed going to the original message from Northwest Art? Again, please excuse me.

Geez, just keep winking at me okay as I stumble around here. Winks are good!! Still need some assistance on posting, editing in particular right now. I scrolled down to, for example, the reply I was trying to do to Northwest Art which is the reply done at "8:43." I scroll down to my actual reply and choose "Edit." Next screen shows the editing to do. Not able to figure out what I choose to match it up with Northwest Art message to me. I can choose quote or edit at editing screen but looks like I may be replying to my reply then. How do I know I am changing the edits are indeed going to the original message from Northwest Art? Again, please excuse me.
    After you click on edit the simplest thing to do is insert "@ North West Art" at the start of your post. That way everyone knows who you were replying to.

The alternative, and I dont think I can actually show you here - maybe/maybe not - copy NWA's post and then click edit on your own post. You will then have to paste NWA's post inside quote tags. The tag at the start of the quoted text can be either
    or simply
    and the tag at the end of the quoted text will be the same but with a back slash (/) in front of the word quote.

If you click on the Quote tab of any post here you will see the text enclosed by these tags. You can use your browser back button to exit the post again.

Hope all that makes sense :)

Edit/ Im adding a couple of screen shots to show how your post will look as you edit it depending on which way you edit it. Note the quote tags I referred to.

ScreenHunter_01_Feb_20_1839.gif

ScreenHunter_03_Feb_20_1841.gif

ScreenHunter_04_Feb_20_1841.gif

Here is hoping I reply to this right this time. Have been doing it wrong. Trying the "quote" now and see if I did it correctly. Thanks for clip. Mad Jim and the Barbies you say though? It is one of the Corrs playing Toss the Feathers, which is great too, but now you have me curious about Mad Jim. I will of course go back to You Tube and simply find Mad Jim and the Barbies in meantime. Thank you!! Also, yes, let's give the skyping a try. I replied but did quick reply instead of quote so all my replies are alone and hard to see which belongs with which.

Sorry anne I'm just tryin to be funny and not very successfully it seems,! Mad Jim is what I affectionaly call Jim Corr,(the one playing the piano) if you had followed some of his exploits over the years then you would understand im sure, anyway it is the link I had intended!!

• Advertisement

puffdragon wrote: »
    Sorry anne I'm just tryin to be funny and not very successfully it seems,! Mad Jim is what I affectionaly call Jim Corr,(the one playing the piano) if you had followed some of his exploits over the years then you would understand im sure, anyway it is the link I had intended!!
    Ahhhh, I wouldn't say you were not successful at being funny, but I was unsuccessful in getting a clue! I obviously have not followed the exploits of Jim Coor but now that you have explained, I do have more of a clue and can appreciate what your intentions were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Advertisement