Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone able to get Eircom Sports Hub on OSx

• 19-02-2011 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Stupid .wmv files. I have 'flip for mac which' will play .wmv files but the eircom site just doesn't play ball with it. Boo. Anyone have any suggestions?

Firefox 4
    Snow Leopard
    Mac Pro Quad xeon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jimaneejeebus

Got it working...

You'll need flip4mac and quicktime.
    Install the two..open firefox
    Login to your eircom sports hub account.

Choose a video you want to play.
    The video won't play... because Eircom chose an idiotic file-type that microsoft don't support on the mac.

Not to worry....right click on the frame where the video should be.
    Goto 'this frame'>>'view frame info'
    In the box that comes up choose 'media' Click on the link [there should only be one] and copy it.

In quick time goto 'file'>>'open url'
    Video should load.

Works but
    No 850 kbs stream
    No fast forward/random access of the file. Plays from the start whether you like it or not :(

You might also have better luck using windows media player on the mac...Microsoft don't support it anymore but you can still get it up and running using rosetta. [edit tried there but doesn't work any better]

Bootcamp seems to be the only way to get full functionality. Do eircom not realise that people sometimes use different OS's?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Would it not be as much Apple's fault for not supporting WMV, which I'd have assumed to be a relatively common format.

That said, I'm surprised that the Eircom stream isn't Flash based, like RTE Player (not that Apple are particularly keen on Flash either, though it does work on Macs).

Well done on the workaround.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jimaneejeebus

byte wrote: »
    Would it not be as much Apple's fault for not supporting WMV,

I guess that's true as well! I think my point is more that Eircom should make it so that people on macs can use the service.

Advertisement