Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Computer

Options
  • 19-02-2011 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

I have a HP pavilion desktop computer
    3.33 GHz
    256 kb L2 cache, 533 FSB

Its very slow and I think I need more memory cause the computer takes a long time to start up and open any applications

There arent many programs on it and I have checked it for viruses

How do I add some memory to it?
    Is it difficult and how much roughly would it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

You could add more RAM to it but I don't see how that'll help start up time. RAM varies in prices but check out komplett or elara for quotes.

Also check and see if there's many programs that start when you boot it up. These will increase start up time if there's alot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Go to crucial.com for memory - cheapest about plus they check your computer configuration for you to determine the memory required.

You don't say what size hard drive and how much used, what your existing RAM is, what OS: 32 or 64 bit; so its hard to pinpoint a specific issue without those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Memoryc are good too. Free delivery.
    http://www.memoryc.com/configurator.html

Maybe your hard drive is in need of defragmentation. Uninstall any old programs that you don't need first and delete temporary files (e.g. internet files in your browser).
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Also, check the number of processes running on the PC
    by right-clicking on the Taskbar and select "Task Manager".
    Too many processes running on startup can make your machine slow
    as a wet week. I usually aim for having 55 - 60 processes running at startup, for a standard PC like that.

If 60+ processes are running I'd use Ccleaner to turn off/remove unwanted startup programs. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

To be able to help you we need your system specs. If you don't know how to get them, download Speccy, and post what it says. It might very well be that you don't need more memory, or that you need a processor/GPU/better computer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm guessing from the specs already listed that it's a Celeron D processor, so there's one possible bottleneck!

Might be better off just doing a fresh install of Windows imo, chances are that adding more memory will only improve things a little...
    Then again, you might only have 256MB ram for all we know, so adding more might make the world of difference!

Download something like speccy as mentioned above to give us something more substantial to go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aaroncelt

try download tune-up utilities. It gives you a free-trial version for a month. I found it brilliant.
    It optimizes your computer and makes recommendations that I found very easy to follow. im now gonna buy the full version when my trial runs out because its the best tune-up program I have ever used. it cleans your registry, disables services you don't need, disables start-up programs you don't need that slow your system down.

give it a go, it'll cost you nothing and would be better to do this first before you buy more RAM in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i used to use tune up utilities when i was on my old PC. works very well on XP, but id also be inclined to get maybe 1gb of cheap ram and a full wipe and reinstall of OS. nothing is faster than that. then set about tinkering with start up programs and disabling stuff you dont use with tuneup utilities etc.

i had a heavily modified version of XP on my old p4 based PC that would give my current quad core 4gb ram a run for its money as far as OS speed goes. not so good in the gaming department though, and only onboard GFX with no VGA/PCI slots for a gpu. dell doesnt like you upgrading their stuff wan****.

Advertisement