Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest PC ever, just for playing old games and some internet browsing.

Options
  • 19-02-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

That's all I need :)

No monitor needed, nor Hard Drive, OS or Keyboard (mouse would be nice though)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What kind of old games? 3D?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Solitaire wrote: »
    What kind of old games? 3D?

A few, but all would be pre-2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think you'd be as well off looking for a €100 PC on adverts.

If you want new technology, get a sempron and a board with reasonable integrated graphics.

Good idea.

Anything would do, just looking to make (or buy) something that allows my brothers to play all the classics like Baldurs Gate, Fallout and the likes.

A noble cause :cool::D Don't forget stuff like Homeworld, Morrowind, Half Life, Ground Control, Kohan 2, NWN, Battleground 2, MW4 Mercenaries, Tachyon, Starlancer, Tribes Vengeance... :P

While the cheapest way to handle this would be to buy an old, cheap gaming PC from just after their time, it won't be very energy-efficient or upgradeable. Decent modern integrated graphics are just as powerful as 6600GTs etc. so a very cheap and simple AMD X3 machine would give you enough upgradeability to throw in a cheap HD5570 further down the line if they decided to move on to HL2, Portal, Oblivion, World In Conflict, SupCom, DoW and the other modern classics! ;)

• Advertisement

A noble cause :cool::D Don't forget stuff like Homeworld, Morrowind, Half Life, Ground Control, Kohan 2, NWN, Battleground 2, MW4 Mercenaries, Tachyon, Starlancer, Tribes Vengeance... :P

While the cheapest way to handle this would be to buy an old, cheap gaming PC from just after their time, it won't be very energy-efficient or upgradeable. Decent modern integrated graphics are just as powerful as 6600GTs etc. so a very cheap and simple AMD X3 machine would give you enough upgradeability to throw in a cheap HD5570 further down the line if they decided to move on to HL2, Portal, Oblivion, World In Conflict, SupCom, DoW and the other modern classics! ;)

Yep :)

Who knows, I plan to upgrade my MoBo and CPU (+ cooler) this year, so if I can't finding something nice and cheap, I could just buy a case, PSU and some RAM and they'd be set :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

From HWVS:

LG GH22NS50 bare schwarz €15,30
    AMD Athlon II X2 250 Box, Sockel AM3 €50,38
    MSI 760GM-P33, Sockel AM3, mATX, PCIe €44,77
    2GB Corsair DDR3 PC1333 C9 ValueSelect €19,93
    JCP Midi Tower ATX "Dark Crystal", schwarz, 500W Netzteil €45,89

€176,27 + €30 shipping.

Obviously skimping on a lot, but it should be fine. I had a look through adverts but most of the stuff in the €100 range were P4s.

deconduo wrote: »
    From HWVS:

LG GH22NS50 bare schwarz €15,30
    AMD Athlon II X2 250 Box, Sockel AM3 €50,38
    MSI 760GM-P33, Sockel AM3, mATX, PCIe €44,77
    2GB Corsair DDR3 PC1333 C9 ValueSelect €19,93
    JCP Midi Tower ATX "Dark Crystal", schwarz, 500W Netzteil €45,89

€176,27 + €30 shipping.

Obviously skimping on a lot, but it should be fine. I had a look through adverts but most of the stuff in the €100 range were P4s.

Skimping doesn't really matter, those sh/te PSU's wouldn't even need to reach half their "Maximum Load".

You could always try the OEM X2 220 (€38.16), if you have a spare heatsink around. Rumour is that some of them could be unlocked. Pretty unlikely but saves €10. I'd be even thriftier again and get a sempron. Bought one recently - didn't unlock well to dual core but runs easily up to 3.8GHz. That and 4250 graphics is good enough for 1280x1024 source engine, medium settings.

I cant't believe I forgot to put Deus Ex in that list! :o

I don't think you can unlock anything on the 45nm Athlon X2s, they're based on the same process as the 45nm Sempron, the X3 and X4 Athlons are based on a different piece of silicon (the same one as the 45nm X2/3/4 Phenoms actually, L3 cache and all!).

IMHO a really cheap X3, while pricier, has better lasting power. Not a huge issue though :) The mobo should be okay, HD3000 has no HD acceleration though, so this won't be great for HD content. Its gaming power should be a little less than a 6600GT, so it can just about handle Oblivion, which was damn hard on GPUs back in the day. Not as good as a HD4250 though! Try and keep the gaming around the 720p mark as higher resolutions (especially 1080p!) wil probably force you to get a discrete card! Also pray that the onboard sound works, as those VIA chips are prone to EMI and might not work, forcing you to buy a sound card too! :eek:

• Advertisement

I cant't believe I forgot to put Deus Ex in that list! :o

I don't think you can unlock anything on the 45nm Athlon X2s, they're based on the same process as the 45nm Sempron, the X3 and X4 Athlons are based on a different piece of silicon (the same one as the 45nm X2/3/4 Phenoms actually, L3 cache and all!).

IMHO a really cheap X3, while pricier, has better lasting power. Not a huge issue though :) The mobo should be okay, HD3000 has no HD acceleration though, so this won't be great for HD content. Its gaming power should be a little less than a 6600GT, so it can just about handle Oblivion, which was damn hard on GPUs back in the day. Try and keep the gaming around the 720p mark as higher resolutions (especially 1080p!) wil probably force you to get a discrete card! :eek:

1280x720 is the max resolution I was going to have it at anyway :)

I may just drop in some of my PC's left-over parts after I upgrade it, instead of saving up for the Cheapass PC and then getting the upgrade.

What parts would these be?

Phenom II x2 550 and a GIGABYTE 890GPA-UD3h.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The A2 X2s are dual cores alright, but there were a few special cases (excess of Phenoms? Shortage of Athlons?) where there was unlocking of cores in the CPUs (I think ones with 2x512KB L2 cache).
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231697
    I'd say the chances are very low.

If you want to plan in any way for the future, the X3 is surely the best option.

That reminds me... I still need to take Deus Ex out of the plastic wrap myself.

Probably the best game of the era, an almost-but-not-quite-sandbox shooter with almost-but-not-quite-RPGesque progression with multiple routes through almost everything and tons of ways around each problem :cool: Also the only game I really liked stealth in :D

I acquired an old PC, but it's got an AthlonXP. Anyone know where I can get a Socket A cooler or should I just use my remaining AS5?

Advertisement