Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traffic lights controlled junction when traffic light doesn't work.

• 19-02-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I approached something like this today.
    Whichever country I was driving earlier in my life there are always a road signs on traffic lights controlled junctions. Sign declare which road is the main road and which one is secondary road where drivers has to yield right of way.
    Obviously when traffic lights work, then these signs are to be omitted.
    But if traffic lights are turned off, then that signs begin to work.

Unfortunately, seems that in Ireland there isn't such thing.
    Junction (4 roads in each direction) where traffic lights were broken. To be honest it looked like absolutely mess, as drivers had no clue what to do, and who has to go first.

From what I understand, if there are not traffic lights, and no road signs, then general rules come into play, so everyone should yield to vehicles coming from the right side.

But unfortunately, I can bet that at least 80% of Irish drivers doesn't even know this rule, as junctions of roads of equal importance are extremally rare in Ireland. Anyway - without traffic lights this was just a perfect example of junction of roads of equal importance. And unfortunately amount of mess on this junction was unbelievable.

Is it like this with all traffic lights controlled junctions that there's no road signs there stating which road is the main road, or was it just this particular one I approached today?
    I never actually took a proper look at it, as whenever traffic light work, there's no problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

CiniO wrote: »
    From what I understand, if there are not traffic lights, and no road signs, then general rules come into play, so everyone should yield to vehicles coming from the right side.
    Correct. However, as you said, most drivers do not know this, and so drivers on the major road assume they have right of way.
    Is it like this with all traffic lights controlled junctions that there's no road signs there stating which road is the main road?.
    Yes.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Same happened to me today on the N11. Was hilarious seeing cars everywhere including the wrong side of the road. Its as if people cannot think for themselves once the lights are off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Esel wrote: »
    Correct. However, as you said, most drivers do not know this, and so drivers on the major road assume they have right of way.

Which one is the major road in that case (if there's no lights working neither road signs)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If the lights are not working, each road is of equal importance, so there is no major road.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

TBH I think the rules shouldn't matter. Approach the junction with your brain turned on and use basic common sense and driving etiquette and you will have no issues.

• Advertisement

TBH I think the rules shouldn't matter. Approach the junction with your brain turned on and use basic common sense and driving etiquette and you will have no issues.

What do you mean rules shouldn't matter?

If it's a busy junction, and none of the roads is the main road, then you need rules to make it work. Otherwise it's going to be total mess.
    And actually there was on a junction mentioned by me.
    Mostly due to lack of knowledge of rules of the road by drivers...

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What do you so if the lights are broken i.e always displaying a red? I have seen this once or twice and have just broken the lights.

If the lights are diplaying red at all times, legally you are not allowed to go.
    You pretty much should wait until they are fixed.
    That's the theory. In practice no one is going to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Esel wrote: »
    If the lights are not working, each road is of equal importance, so there is no major road.

Not if its a T-Junction as the T is the Major and the road coming onto the T-Junction is the Minor.

Although on the Continent a T-Junction is the treated the same as a Cross roads, so cars on the main road should stop and leave your coming from their right :)

Not if its a T-Junction as the T is the Major and the road coming onto the T-Junction is the Minor.

Although on the Continent a T-Junction is the treated the same as a Cross roads, so cars on the main road should stop and leave your coming from their right :)

That's correct.
    But junction I was talking about was normal 4 way junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If the lights are diplaying red at all times, legally you are not allowed to go.
    You pretty much should wait until they are fixed.
    That's the theory. In practice no one is going to wait.

I think they've that one covered CiniO, a faulty traffic signal could be considered an obstruction.
    Non-application of certain Prohibitions and Restrictions
    5. (1) These Regulations shall apply save where compliance is not possible as a result of an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians or because of an emergency situation confronting a road user which could not reasonably have been expected or anticipated.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

What do you mean rules shouldn't matter?

If it's a busy junction, and none of the roads is the main road, then you need rules to make it work. Otherwise it's going to be total mess.
    And actually there was on a junction mentioned by me.
    Mostly due to lack of knowledge of rules of the road by drivers...

I mean the rules won't make you feel better if your sitting in the middle of a junction with a car stuck in your door.

Its the same with all driving situations, the rules are great, but if they aren't being followed or the specifics aren't known then common sence is all you need.

Advertisement