Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitors: Help needed distinguishing between specs, brands, and models!

Options
  • 19-02-2011 11:40pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new monitor. My current 19" SyncMaster works fine but it can only go up to a resolution of 1280x1024 and so I'd like to upgrade so I enjoy full HD.
    Primary use will be for games and general use as I've a TV for watching movies/TV shows (even if it's a CRT!). I'm think about 23" to allow me to get the feeling of a significant size difference from my 19". Graphics card outputs both DVI and HDMI so it should be compatible with all brands.

I've been looking through the various brands around and I find the choice overwhelming and also a little confusing. For example, I can buy this 24" SyncMaster for €199 and a same size SyncMaster here for €219. I can only see a difference in contrast ratios - is this something I should care about?

Then (and I know it's a different site) Dabs.ie have a 23" SyncMaster (smaller size!) here for €209. Isn't this model worse because the response time is longer (5ms vs 2ms)? Or do response times make a huge difference?
    And then there's a 23" SyncMaster here for €309 and I can't see fathom a reason for such a price difference.

Can anyone provide a bit of assistance as to the variation in prices or whether I should care too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

Should look up some BenQ monitors brilliant value for money and brilliant HD quality aswell

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Sold! You just earned dabs €205 and me (I hope) a nice new monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Im also in the market for a 24" monitor, but i need it to have a 3.5" headphone output (from hdmi) so i can use my xbox360 + headset with it. id also love a 1920x1200 resolution, but thats not 100% necessary. whats the cheapest/good value monitor that fits my needs?

thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have one of these (27") and I can't fault it.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/180451

On good advantage to the 1900x1200 with the 16:10 aspect ratio is you can go full screen and still have enough room at the bottom to keep the start bar there for easy access. It's minor but very handy.

Gone off Samsung products completely lately there phones are horrid and my syncmaster has a big line down the middle on flesh tones.

• Advertisement

thanks for the suggestion!

id *prefer a monitor without speakers though, as they wont be used at all. i like the 26" size though. any other suggestions, preferably cheaperish>?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

The BenQ 24" monitor from Dabs above has the headphone out port.
    1 x headphones - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm

The headphone out is only for when using the HDMI port, obviously.

great news. god im so tempted. any reason why i shouldnt get it? looks like you can get the same model from amazon for ~€195...

what can i get in the ~€250 price bracket? something with LED?

Yup another BenQ XD

http://www.dabs.ie/products/benq-ew2420-24--wide-dvi-hdmi-7BG9.html?refs=376750000-54430000

Love BenQ cause they don't have there head up there arse when it comes to pricing unlike most manufacturs

looks good, but out of stock. anywhere besides dabs/amazon and ebuyer thats good for monitors?

amazon says 4 left in stock (doubtful)
    and i cant find it on ebuyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm picking up this monitor at the end of the week. Seems to get good reviews and its very aesthetically pleasing :)

would suggest tea-bag to get that but it dosn't have a headphone jack =/

It does indeed just not on the specs on Komplett (No suprises there :rolleyes:).
    It has audio out at the back beside the VGA port. I made sure because I plan on using it for my xbox as well.

149205.jpg

found another led backlit with audio out on elara

http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1832747#spec

bit of a funny looking styling on it tho =/

nvm

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Have a read of the reviews on places like tomshardware, cnet, xbit, bit tech etc. See which one comes out best for your price range. The Syncmasters are good, as are some of the LG and Viewsonics. Anything with 5ms or quicker is fine.
    Do you know what graphics card you have? as with some games it may not cope on high settings at full hd resolution.
    Have a read of the review sites like the ones above, their very good generally.

thanks for all the help. I've a gtx 460 768mb so it should handle it fine I hope.

youcancallme >al let me know how you get on with that monitor, esp with the xbox, and passing sound through hdmi. it looks great anyway.

Got the BX2450 this evening. Not as big as I expected coming from a 20.1" monitor but I'm happy enough with the size. Picture wise is wasn't great at all out of the box, very bright with a blueish tinge. All the reviews said it would be like that though. I've messed around a good bit with the settings and found an okay setup. Probably need to adjust it more. There are a lot of recommended settings out there which is good. Sound is fine, have a headset plugged in directly to the monitor for the xbox and PC sound runs through the speakers.
    All in all I'm pretty happy. Any questions let me know.

Heres a couple of pics, they didnt really come out well but couldnt be bothered taking any more.

149542.JPG

149543.JPG

Advertisement