Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Work Experience in AIT*

• 20-02-2011 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hey guys! I'm in 5th year in a local school near Athlone and me and my friend are looking for somewhere to complete our work experience for LCVP between the 30th, 31st March and the 1st of April.

We were looking to go to AIT for 3 days and sit in on lectures and gernerally get a feel for the college and surroundings. Does anyone know if it is possible to do so?. If so how do I go about it/ who do I contact etc.

Any help is very much appreciated! :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Call the
    Access Office
    Tel: + 353 (0)90 642 4593

or attentively if you know what classes you want to sit in on then call the course co-ordinator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Thanks! Do you know if the college would let you sit in on lectures however?. Would be interested in Business, Business & Law and Society and Communications..

I've no idea about AIT, I know that DIT would but, this far down the country the staff at AIT might be a bit Irish about your request. But dont take no for an answer if the course co-ordinator says no then e-mail the head of the department (Side note, all the heads of departments are Very busy people and should only contacted as a measure of last resort)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

I'm not sure if sitting in on lectures constitutes "Work" experience, but there shouldn't be any problem provided you go through the proper channels.

I would advise sitting in on bigger group classes, like in the Business faculty. Elective classes would be tougher as they are often smaller groups, but the likes of core subjects(e.g. Corporate Law), or popular electives like my own Strategic HR Management class, that take place in the larger lecture theatres would be easy to get into. The lecturers are friendly enough and in the bigger rooms it's easier to go un-noticed and really get a feel for the third-level experience.

I've sat in on lectures down in UCC before and nothing was said as I didn't interrupt everything. If you do get to do this, just remember that what is being taught is relevant and very important to the other people there (even if they don't realise it themselves), so please don't be loud or obnoxious and only make valid points. We have enough problems with bored classmates...... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I did a weeks 'work experience' in AIT when i was in TY. Our TY coordinator organised it with the head of the engineering department and a few of my classmates and I were allowed to sit in some CAD (Computer-Aided Design) lectures for a week. The lecturers even gave us some work to do :D To call it work experience is debatable but we did get a nice feel of college life and we did plenty of dossing about. In fact i loved AIT so much i decided to come here :rolleyes:

You could try and get in contact with the head of department you're interested in (engineering, business, science, humanities) and i'm sure they won't have a problem with you sitting in a few lectures.

Some contacts here might help you out:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056004861

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I remember 3 students sitting in on one of my classes last year, not a problem

So op how did the work experience go ??

Advertisement