Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You-tube streaming very slow on Dialup

• 20-02-2011 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm trying to watch youtube music videos and they take ages to stream using dialup. Is there anyway you can speed it up? Lower resolution etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Unfortunatly there probably isnt a way to speed it up , Youtube is designed with broadband connections in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I think your best bet is either to download them somewhere else and capture the vids (many threads about this here lately) for playback at home, pause the download until complete before playing (annoying),or of course upgrade your connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

If you cant get broadband, then the only thing to do would be to either download them using something like the RealPlayer plugin, or one of the many other plugins that do this sort of thing... When you click to download it will tell you how big the file is and how long it will take to download... (i.e. you might be better searching for a lower quality / lower size copy of the video)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 Losphel

I think a 10 minute video at 360 pixels resolution is approximately 20 megabytes. So if your connection speed is a 56 kilobits, it would probably take about 50 minutes to buffer fully. Firefox does have an addon for downloading youtube videos as a flv file (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it though) so you can play it back on your computer once you've downloaded it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Youtube really isn't designed for dial up. Streaming media needs broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Hi there,

I'm trying to watch youtube music videos and they take ages to stream using dialup. Is there anyway you can speed it up? Lower resolution etc?

highlighted is your issue

go get broadband

Hi there,

get a prepay 3g dongle - cheaper than dialup yet no contract.

meteor, O2 or vodafone are the best options (three is ok but not in large urban areas).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

What service are you using, i thought dialup was no longer avaidable in ireland, since theres 3 usb modems avaidable 20 euro or less per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

yeah what glasso said, you need mobile broadband, dial-up shouldn't still be around

Advertisement