Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone in Passage West

• 20-02-2011 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

I have just switched from eircom to vodafone at home dsl bundle (40 euro UP TO 8Mb).

I am experiencing bad connection, very slow on late afternoon and night. Never had problems with the 3Mb Eircom.

My speed is sometime 512Kb in download, anyway when is acceptable is on 2.8Mb.

Is it a temporary problem or I have to be worried? Streaming video is always stopping.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Fearganainm

Been chronic in Carrigaline area all wk end also dial up speeds : (

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭crodeghin

so do you think that is a vodafone problem or a problem on line, are they doing works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Hey man, I'm in the exact same situation. I switched to 8mb two weeks ago. I think it was okay for a while, but since last Friday at least I haven't gotten over 1mb... and normally way less.

Good to hear it wasn't just me... must be something damaged or work getting done.

Hi Fearganainm

how long have you been with Vodafone?

Just to know if this is a particular problem of this week or if always the broadband is so slow. (more in late afternoon and night)

No, there is definitely something gone seriously wrong. Must be a problem with the Glenbrook exchange. I believe both Passage West and Carrigaline are on the same one.

This is mine right now. Completely unusable really:

VodafoneSpeed.jpg

Ridiculous for an 8mb line.

• Advertisement

Just rang vodafone there and there telling me there's no issue in the area. They're blaming my setup.

In the morning is ok..the problem is on the evenings

NOW:

1168626638.png

35201594.png

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I have had problems with Vodafone broadband for months, same as crodeghin, bad during the day 2.6 mbs desperate at evenings, they also blamed my system, but I asked why is it better during the day? They were blaming my new Netgear router and had me installing my old modem, They eventually told me that the local exchange is going to be updraded

now, 23:00:

1169601195.png

35254271.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Could it be a cork thing ? similar story to you guys , but i'm in Bishopstown.

Currently i'm looking at :

1171062577.png

see my other post here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056190139

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Niallt3

I'm getting simular results in Carrigaline for a very long time now:

1171088802.png

I'd love to hear that the problem is from my side of things so I could make a good effort to fix it but truth is it's congestion and there's nothing Vodafone or Eircom are going to rush to amend. Having said that, Carrigaline is due for a NGB upgrade between Jan-March of this year but that deadline is approaching pretty soon and seen as my problem has been on and off since november 09 I wouldn't be shocked to see nothing done.

my question is:

is the contention ratio the same for ericom and Vodafone for the same speed ?

I was in eircom 3MB and I had never big problems, I could see streaming quite ok (with some drop..but nothing like now). With Vodafone up to 8, that I understand that is maximum of 3MB , I have every evening bad connection.

As the line and the exchange should be the same (not more then 1 mile), I wonder if this week in my area there has been a huge immigration of people!!!

Or they are changing the contention ratio in casual way?

0.5Mbit in 2011 is something terrible..

The contention ratio is a massive 48 to 1 on Vodafone and I think the same for Eircom.
    I cannot understand why the speedtest sometimes checks via Limerick and other times via Dublin, you will get a huge difference in speed, you can check the other route by clicking on the alternative star for Limerick or Dublin, it kind of makes the speed test useless. I am less than one mile from the Bandon exchange and the best I can get is 2.66 mbs dropping to 0.6 mbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whore

mine has gone down in wexford there over the last few hours, got some really weird lag on it there on sunday and i think it was tuesday night it would load webpages if they were simple. their router is pretty terrible too so it's kinda hard to find out what's going on with the line, must look for some sort of router monitoring proggy.

Edit: by gone i mean down, i'm in dublin at the moment on a upc connection :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Fearganainm

crodeghin wrote: »
    Hi Fearganainm

how long have you been with Vodafone?

Just to know if this is a particular problem of this week or if always the broadband is so slow. (more in late afternoon and night)

Been with 'em about 2 yrs since I was forcibly switched from BT Ireland.
    Service was appalling at outset, and got better for a while.
    Slows right down in evenings to dial up speed for the last wk or so.

Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, and they never return calls.

I think it is contention rate.

If there was a better BB service in my area, I wouldn't hesitate to change, but UPC etc don't want to know, and with the economy being the way it is, we're probably lucky to have a service at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Niallt3

with the economy being the way it is, we're probably lucky to have a service at all.

That should be vodafone's slogan..

two days ago someone rang my partner, it seems that there is a technical problem and they are working to resolve (I HOPE). Anyone had the same call?

from 2 days the line seems good, like before. So there was a technical problem somewhere (not on my side anyway)

36095633.png
    1185794604.png

It's interesting that in the UK there is an enquiry abouts the speed received not being what is advertised. They are complaining they are only getting 8 mbs, at my 2.6 mps maximum here I wonder are we on the same planet.

Advertisement