Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA 4 WAN

Options
  • 20-02-2011 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

studying CCNA in College and going over a few past papers..

One Question

A network administrator has configured a PPP link on her company’s WAN, but users packets are not routed across the link. Describe the checks she should do to troubleshoot the connection and what the possible causes could be.

my Answer would be,
    1. Check IP Route.
    2. Check to see is PAP/Chap on both Routers
    3. Make sure Both Routers have The Other Routers Username & Password.

possible cause could that PAP is on one Router and chap is on the other, the routers could have their own Username & Password set but not the Router their connected to.

Next Question

Given the following topology and configuration extracts, identify the mistakes in the configurations.

R1 is Connected by Serial port to R3

hostname R1
    username R3 password R3pass
    int serial 0/0 ip address 128.0.1.2 255.255.255.252
    encapsulation ppp
    ppp authentication pap
    ppp callback request
    ppp pap sent-username R3 password

hostname R3
    username R1 password R1pass
    int serial 0/1 ip address 128.0.1.2 255.255.255.252
    encapsulation ppp
    ppp authentication chap ppp
    pap sent-username R1 password R1pass
    R3pass

my Answer from what i see is, both S0/0 & S0/1 have the same IP Address. they have authentication set up as CHAP on Router 3 & PAP on Router 1, "pap sent-username R1 password R1" (Dont know what this Config does)

would their be right answers or can some one else shine light ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nljm25

Cork24 wrote: »
    studying CCNA in College and going over a few past papers..

One Question

A network administrator has configured a PPP link on her company’s WAN, but users packets are not routed across the link. Describe the checks she should do to troubleshoot the connection and what the possible causes could be.

my Answer would be,
    1. Check IP Route.
    2. Check to see is PAP/Chap on both Routers
    3. Make sure Both Routers have The Other Routers Username & Password.

Check the phyiscal layer (cable types/clocking etc) first like using sh int to ensure the WAN link in up/up and then that check the IPs at both ends are on the same subnet. The others (1/2/3) are good as next steps.:)
    possible cause could that PAP is on one Router and chap is on the other, the routers could have their own Username & Password set but not the Router their connected to.

Next Question

Given the following topology and configuration extracts, identify the mistakes in the configurations.

R1 is Connected by Serial port to R3

hostname R1
    username R3 password R3pass
    int serial 0/0 ip address 128.0.1.2 255.255.255.252
    encapsulation ppp
    ppp authentication pap
    ppp callback request
    ppp pap sent-username R3 password

hostname R3
    username R1 password R1pass
    int serial 0/1 ip address 128.0.1.2 255.255.255.252
    encapsulation ppp
    ppp authentication chap ppp
    pap sent-username R1 password R1pass
    R3pass

my Answer from what i see is, both S0/0 & S0/1 have the same IP Address. they have authentication set up as CHAP on Router 3 & PAP on Router 1, "pap sent-username R1 password R1" (Dont know what this Config does)
    would their be right answers or can some one else shine light ?
    The pap sent-username is an configuration alternative to what is normally sent i.e. the hostname. This should give you some insight into what else is incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Check the phyiscal layer (cable types/clocking etc) first like using sh int to ensure the WAN link in up/up and then that check the IPs at both ends are on the same subnet. The others (1/2/3) are good as next steps.:)

didnt think of the physical layer, as my though was it was just the config Wrong but being good practice, you should state every thing, from is the Router turned on.. Cheers

Advertisement