Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80's rocker needs to update

Options
  • 20-02-2011 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I have to admit this is embarrassing- I used to be big into my rock/metal in the 80s but over the years my musical taste has diversified and what with work and family etc I became a casual radio listener.
    NOw a year ago I decided to learn to play guitar, firstly acoustic, but it didn't scratch the itch, now for xmas I got an SG and amp and started to play rock.
    To get to the point I am realising that basically not having been "into" metal for 20 years my knowledge/appreciation of many great bands is ZERO.

Can anyone please give some suggestions of bands/albums from the 90s/noughties I MUST listen to, building on the foundations laid by ACDC, maiden, queen, leppard, marrillion, GnR, Priest, ozzy, sabbeth etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Check out the following albums ... you should be able to connect the dots from these bands back to the ones you've mentioned ... all excellent LP's

Mastodon : Crack The Skye
    Porcupine Tree : Fear Of A Blank Planet (*warning* .... the chances of becoming addicted to Porcupine Tree are extremely high !!!;))
    The Sword : Warp Riders
    Airbourne : Runnin Wild
    Crashdiet : Generation Wild (if you ever had a soft spot for Ratt or Skid Row this album will knock you out.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It looks like your tastes are running more towards rock than metal so the first few albums that come to mind (based on what I'm listening to right now :) are:

Gish by Smashing Pumpkins
    Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins
    Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness by Smashing Pumpkins

The 1990's era Smashing Pumpkins produced some incredible music ranging from soft piano ballads to to radio-friendly pop to full-on club you in the face hard rock so there's bound to be something in the three albums above that'll grab you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

RayCon wrote: »
    Crashdiet : Generation Wild (if you ever had a soft spot for Ratt or Skid Row this album will knock you out.)

This album, for me personally, is amazing. The band are doing a support slot on a low level UK tour in March - I've been a fan since the beginning and this is probably my first chance (outside a festival) to see them live. My recommendation is that if you're anywhere NEAR a point of call for these guys in the UK then don't miss your chance as they may not come back.

And OP, nothing wrong with 80s Metal, I was born in 1985 but most of the bands I listen too were well established by then (most hit their peak when I was about 6 or 7 and had disappeared by my 9th birthday - so for me to get into them when I was 14 meant I was making up on lost time and also already behind). Point is, most bands from that era that I enjoy the most still tour, and I have always found new bands along the way I enjoy too - but nothing shameful, or indeed needing an update, about 80s Metal

• Registered Users Posts: 29 colsmiff

Thanks for the suggestions, looking forward to listening to some of those. I realised just how out of touch I was when reading guitar mags and not knowing who Zakk Wylde and Dimebag were!
    Having said that my wife is always playing HIM, disturbed, Apocalyptica etc having been a goth/black metaller in her younger days- I just want to broaden my rock literacy to help with the playing.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 seriousbuns

listen to airbourne....they're pretty much a carbon copy of acdc :P

• Advertisement

And OP, nothing wrong with 80s Metal, I was born in 1985 but most of the bands I listen too were well established by then (most hit their peak when I was about 6 or 7 and had disappeared by my 9th birthday - so for me to get into them when I was 14 meant I was making up on lost time and also already behind). Point is, most bands from that era that I enjoy the most still tour, and I have always found new bands along the way I enjoy too - but nothing shameful, or indeed needing an update, about 80s Metal
    Nobody said anything was wrong with 80's metal so let's not turn this into an "Old metal is the best, modern metal is crap" thread. The OP wants recommendations so let's give them to him.

That's not having a go at you Motley Crue, please don't read it as such. I'm just hoping the thread doesn't deteriorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Favoured Water by Limp Bizkit

Malice wrote: »
    Nobody said anything was wrong with 80's metal so let's not turn this into an "Old metal is the best, modern metal is crap" thread. The OP wants recommendations so let's give them to him

I completely understand, for some reason though I got the feeling the OP had been told by someone that he needed to listen to more modern music and I felt maybe a reassurance that this kind of stuff still kicks ass is what he needed? But yeah I don't mind recommending anyone.

Personally I love FFDP (the US military connection has little relevance to fans in this part of the world but their music certainly has)

No-one has suggested I need to update my musical taste, I just realised when picking up guitar mags that I might want to listen to some newer bands to get a feel for riffs, leads etc- I mean Pantera are mentioned a lot as is Satch but I hadn't a clue who they were.
    I bought Black Swans recently, and yes it is a masterpiece in guitarplaying, but lacks any real soul or passion from my pesrpective as it is purely instrumental.
    THanks for any suggetsions so far , will look them out and any more are welcome. Looking forward to listening to and playing them!

Pick up Therapy's Troublegum and Fear Factory's Demanufacture as well. They are two of my favourite albums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

listen to airbourne....they're pretty much a carbon copy of acdc :P

They ARE AC/DC

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

A few more suggestions. I just realised that the songs I picked all have the same titles as the albums that they are on :P.

Black Country Communion - Black Country

Soundgarden - Superunknown

Clutch - The Elephant Riders

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Alice In Chains - Unplugged
    David Gray - White Ladder
    Pearl Jam - Ten

colsmiff wrote: »
    I mean Pantera are mentioned a lot as is Satch but I hadn't a clue who they were.

Never heard of them myself come to think about it

I would also recommend Knock Out Kaine, currently supporting Adler's Appetite in Europe

http://www.myspace.com/knockoutkaine

Never heard of them myself come to think about it
    :confused: You'd never heard of Pantera?

:confused: You'd never heard of Pantera?

No, the other band he mentioned, Satch

Satch = Joe Satriani. Never heard of him?

NOw you see the base level I am working from!

Pearl Jam- 10: OH has on tape -OMG shows my age ehh?
    Soundgarden-Superunknown: GOT, I forgot I had it!
    Inspection of the collection also turned up these gems:
    Metallica- S&M played with the san francisco symphony orchestra- frickin amazing
    Foo fighters- ...Nothing left to lose
    Linkin Park- Hybrid theory
    Stiltskin- the minds eye

Stick those in the car CD for the drive to dublin airport tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

This album, for me personally, is amazing. The band are doing a support slot on a low level UK tour in March - I've been a fan since the beginning and this is probably my first chance (outside a festival) to see them live. My recommendation is that if you're anywhere NEAR a point of call for these guys in the UK then don't miss your chance as they may not come back.
    l

Why not? they have been touring alot with Generation Wild and This tour is supporting 69 eyes and Hardcore Superstar.
    However I heard that Simon Cruz stage show is a bit weird. They got alot of crap last summer in sweeden for Them reinacting the Generation Wild Video where the woman pissed ina bucket and threw it on him.

Rest in Sleaze is a better album than Generation Wild IMO, however Generation Wild is way better than the Unattractive revoloution, that album is embarrasing!

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    Why not?

As far as I was aware they've never done a UK club tour before and despite how good I think they are they might never do one again since they may believe they don't have the numbers and they're the opening band on this tour. So it's just an added incentive to see them now, while they're performing here across so many venues, as opposed to catching them at a festival down the bill.
    JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Satch = Joe Satriani. Never heard of him?

Heard of him of course but never knew he had the nickname Satch, didn't make the connection, but it sounds familiar when you say it now

No, the other band he mentioned, Satch
    Never heard Satch Boogie then?

Never heard Satch Boogie then?

I honestly have never heard of this song, truthfully

Now maybe that means I'm not as educated about music as I taught but I would have liked to think I had a fairly good mixture of musical taste and at least some knowledge about music since I've spent as long as I can remember being a fan of it

I honestly have never heard of this song, truthfully

Now maybe that means I'm not as educated about music as I taught but I would have liked to think I had a fairly good mixture of musical taste and at least some knowledge about music since I've spent as long as I can remember being a fan of it
    To be fair I doubt I would have heard of him either if I wasn't a musician. Of course if you happen to play the guitar and you're a rock & metal fan and you haven't heard of Satch then you definitely deserve to hang your head in shame :p.

To be fair I doubt I would have heard of him either if I wasn't a musician. Of course if you happen to play the guitar and you're a rock & metal fan and you haven't heard of Satch then you definitely deserve to hang your head in shame :p.

Don't play guitar, but I will hang my head in shame anyway:p

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

I second any of the suggestions of Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains that have gone before. Two great bands. Well worth listening to.

Also like to add:
    Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For the Deaf, or Rated R
    Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
    Them Crooked Vultures (From the noughties but well worth it)

Audioslave have to be worth a recommendation aswell. Their first album was great. The other two albums were not so good but had some decent songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Motorcycle Emptiness by Manic Street Preachers is an alt/glam/punk-thingy classic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

colsmiff wrote: »
    ACDC, maiden, queen, leppard, marrillion, GnR, Priest, ozzy, sabbeth etc.

I'm of the same vintage as yourself having bought my first metal 45 'The Flight of Icarus'.

I stuck with Maiden , Metallica etc down through the years and got into Slayer, Uncle Slam, Suicidal Tendencies along the way. The ears have mellowed a bit but still like to crank it up as often as possible.

Along with the earlier suggestions I would add Trivium (who supported Maiden a few years ago), Lamb of God, Korn, to the metal side of the equation. For rock: Staind, Pete Yorn, Wolfmother & Tesla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Tesla

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Advertisement