Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways into medicine

Options
  • 20-02-2011 4:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

What other ways are there to study medicine? I completed my leaving cert 2 years ago and didn't get the points I needed to study medicine so I was just wondering can you study science or nursing and then go onto study medicine from that with fewer years to study it or can I go straight into the course as a mature student?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ulstergirl

Hi Jennifer-Louise. A friend of mine is studying nursing and a girl on her course is hoping to do 2 years of her nursing degree and then apply to universities in england as apparently they are willing to accept this along with good grades as an alternative entry method. Sorry i dont have any more information but im sure if u research it further you will find some solid info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

What other ways are there to study medicine? I completed my leaving cert 2 years ago and didn't get the points I needed to study medicine so I was just wondering can you study science or nursing and then go onto study medicine from that with fewer years to study it or can I go straight into the course as a mature student?
    Thanks.

Grad medicine is a 4-year course and you can apply with a degree in anything (though science helps!) plus aptitude test results.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Grad med takes people with any degree, they have a guy with classics finishing next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 oirishguy

Thanks.
    You could also apply to study abroad in another EU country, majority of the courses are through English, no long HPAT tests, interviews etc, just an entrance exam on physics, biology and chemistry. Its easy to get in, but once there its hard work for the 6 years. Fees are the same as applying for a graduate course in UL or UCG I think. They do the exams in Ireland in early May as well. So you might give that a look.

Advertisement