Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nct fail

• 20-02-2011 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

hello all. I just got back from the nct centre and my car passed everything except break-test imbalance front axle nearside 1.490kN 39%. front imbalance above 30% is fail. does anyone know what exactly i will have to do to fix this and how much it would cost to sort out. i have my own mechanic that deals with this but he is on holidays. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'd start by checking the state of the brake pads, discs and pistons on the front of the car. See if they need replacing or what sort of shape they're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

thanks for the reply. well i only got the car serviced 4 weeks ago and the mechanic always checks the brakepads but he never said anything about them and he knew my nct was coming up soon. i'll get him to have a look when he gets back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Could also be a sticking caliper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If its an imbalance on the front its likely to be a sticking caliper.

What car is it?

the car is a mitsubishi colt 1999 1.3. the problem is imbalance front axle nearside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Get yourself a set of caliper repair kits (ebay or dealer).

Calipers off, pistons out, clean them up, new seals, pistons in, fresh fluid - job done. Flush the fluid in the entire system while you're at it.

45 mins per corner to rebuild the calipers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

zenno wrote: »
    hello all. I just got back from the nct centre and my car passed everything except break-test imbalance front axle nearside 1.490kN 39%. front imbalance above 30% is fail. does anyone know what exactly i will have to do to fix this and how much it would cost to sort out. i have my own mechanic that deals with this but he is on holidays. thanks in advance.
    I'd start by checking the state of the brake pads, discs and pistons on the front of the car. See if they need replacing or what sort of shape they're in.

Your answer is here.

If you cannot do this you are wasting your time posting in this forum.

Slidey wrote: »
    Your answer is here.

what planet are you on ?.

in my main comment post i was asking a question to find out what this problem mean't and how much it would cost. I am not a mechanic and i never said i knew anything about fixing car problems. all i wanted to know is what the problem might be and the price. i see the answers given but not the cost of the repair. it's a simple basic question i asked and again as i said i don't know enough about mechanics to fix this repair. my main issue is cost. my own mechanic will do the job but he is not around yet.

some people like yourself don't seem to be able to read a comment properly. for the main people that answered the question as to the problem' thanks.thanks for the information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The problem is the question you asked cannot be answered by people on the net when they cannot see the car.

It could be something as simple as a brake pad sticking in the housing which will be freed up with the tap of a hammer and some copper grease (ie free) or it could be a totally seized caliper (not so free)

ok i see. thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I think you would have got less hassle if you posted anywhere else but in the diy thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Slidey wrote: »
    Your answer is here.

zenno wrote: »
    what planet are you on ?.

in my main comment post i was asking a question to find out what this problem mean't and how much it would cost. I am not a mechanic and i never said i knew anything about fixing car problems. all i wanted to know is what the problem might be and the price. i see the answers given but not the cost of the repair. it's a simple basic question i asked and again as i said i don't know enough about mechanics to fix this repair. my main issue is cost. my own mechanic will do the job but he is not around yet.

some people like yourself don't seem to be able to read a comment properly. for the main people that answered the question as to the problem' thanks.thanks for the information

If I am not mistaken I think what slidey means is that this forum is aimed at folks who do their own repairs, so if you don't then post in the main forum, not here, but I could be wrong.

I think you would have got less hassle if you posted anywhere else but in the diy thread.

I should have copped on to that ah well no harm done. at least i got the info i needed. thanks anyway folks.

Advertisement