Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which oil on older car?

• 20-02-2011 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

My car is a citroen xsara 1.9 diesel non turbo , 2002 with 97000 miles.
    I have always changed oil myself every 10000 miles with a 10w40 semi-synthetic but when getting filter and oil from motor factor yesterday , he said i should use a 15w40 mineral oil from now on as engine was getting on a bit.
    Is this good advice, and is it ok to put in mineral oil after ss has been used and finally if I did put in mineral 15w40 would it still go to 10000 miles before changing?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

Give Castrol a call.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you car isn't loosing oil, i'd stick with a good 10/40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

No need to change oil if it is not leaking through gaskets etc. if you are planning to use car for a while reducing oil change intervals will keep engine healthier at higher mileages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I've have always used 10w40 symi syn in my 96 1.9 Td 406 without
    any problems.
    I service it every 8k mls....:)
    It's just turned 220k mls and does not need topping up between services.
    I wish the same could be said for some of the modern diesels out there
    today.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Stick with the oil you have been using.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭hughjohn

Thanks for replies , I will keep her on 10w40 and reduce service interval to 7-8000 miles from now on Seems like good advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Do you need to top up between changes?

What is the "oil" like after 10K miles (16,000KM)

How and where you drive is very important. if you do lots of short journeys with a cold engine, then you need to change more regularly, irrespective of what the manual says.

I'd stick with 10w 40 synthetic and change every 6K miles (10,000KM) if you see yourself keeping the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

hughjohn wrote: »
    My car is a citroen xsara 1.9 diesel non turbo , 2002 with 97000 miles.
    I have always changed oil myself every 10000 miles with a 10w40 semi-synthetic but when getting filter and oil from motor factor yesterday , he said i should use a 15w40 mineral oil from now on as engine was getting on a bit.
    Is this good advice, and is it ok to put in mineral oil after ss has been used and finally if I did put in mineral 15w40 would it still go to 10000 miles before changing?
    thanks.

Your engine getting on a bit??? Sure its only run in!

I have a 1997 Laguna 1.8 petrol with almost 200,000 miles on it. I use 10w 40 semi-synthetic and change the oil every 5k miles and it is still perfect.

Advertisement