Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection problems?

• 20-02-2011 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭

Has anyone else been having any problems with UPC connection since Friday? Ive been getting a ton of packet loss here since then (Cork)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Xzen wrote: »
    Has anyone else been having any problems with UPC connection since Friday? Ive been getting a ton of packet loss here since then (Cork)

Yes - Based in Clonee, Dublin - extremely bad last night. Browsing wasn't too bad, but any video streaming or hotfile/rapidshare use was non existant.

Seems a little better this morning...

1165651392.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Its was bad enough over last day or two but today I'm getting ~80% packet loss. :/ (and yes in case anyone is wondering I have connected their modem directly to the testing PC and no im not using wifi)
    Very unlike UPC to be down this long. Guess I'll have to have a stern chat with them on Monday mornin' :)

Its was bad enough over last day or two but today I'm getting ~80% packet loss. :/ (and yes in case anyone is wondering I have connected their modem directly to the testing PC and no im not using wifi)
    Very unlike UPC to be down this long. Guess I'll have to have a stern chat with them on Monday mornin' :)

Apologies for the newbie question, but what is packet loss and how do I check for it?

sticker wrote: »
    Apologies for the newbie question, but what is packet loss and how do I check for it?

The easiest way is, assuming your running windows, is to open console - press
    windows key and R together

then type
    cmd

in the box that pops up and run the command
    ping www.google.ie

or indeed any other website.

In windows it will test a site 4 times and report pack the packet loss and time in ms it took to ping.

The easiest way is, assuming your running windows, is to open console (press
    windows key+R

, type cmd press enter) and run the command
    ping www.google.ie

In windows it will test a site 4 times and report pack the packet loss and time in ms it took to ping.

Thanks!

This morning I'm getting packets sent = 4, Received: = 4. Lost = 0
    Average = 22ms.

...Not too bad then? - Still no excuse for the poor bandwidth of the past few days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Dublin 24 here. No UPC connection all last night, and in the last 10 minutes it's just gone again. I've emailed UPC several times, but they haven't responded.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Evelynmc

I'm in cork, had no Internet last Monday for about an hour or so, once it came back it was fine, it's on and off all evening today, just keeps coming and going, but when it's back it's slow as a snail :( they are slightly taking the piss I think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Evelynmc wrote: »
    I'm in cork, had no Internet last Monday for about an hour or so, once it came back it was fine, it's on and off all evening today, just keeps coming and going, but when it's back it's slow as a snail :( they are slightly taking the piss I think..
    Im in Meath and my upc broadband grand in the day but at night streaming video is painfully slow and online gaming a bit laggy but pinging fine kinda strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Im in clondalkin im only getting 4 out of 30meg. UPC told me it will be early march before its fixed so they gave me half price broadband till its fixed.

Its been like this about 4 weeks now. Half price is still not worth the s%it downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

sorry to go off topic, i'm with upc, live in newbridge. how do i check my packet loss and speed

• Advertisement

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    sorry to go off topic, i'm with upc, live in newbridge. how do i check my packet loss and speed
    window button and R together and them cmd enter and write ping and space and write www.boards.ie and see what you get or www.pingtest.net

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

rob808 wrote: »
    window button and R together and them cmd enter and write ping and space and write www.boards.ie and see what you get or www.pingtest.net

Hi
    I'm getting packets sent = 4, Received: = 4. Lost = 0
    Average = 26ms.

Is that good or bad.

wush06 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm getting packets sent = 4, Received: = 4. Lost = 0
    Average = 26ms.

Is that good or bad.
    yea that good it only when you lose packets it bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

i'm getting sent=4 recieved=4 lost=0 (0%) average 25ms. guess what i done the first time while followeing your instructions. i typed ping space www.boards.ie i actually put in the word space. what an idiot i feel

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    i'm getting sent=4 recieved=4 lost=0 (0%) average 25ms. guess what i done the first time while followeing your instructions. i typed ping space www.boards.ie i actually put in the word space. what an idiot i feel
    I put cdm then just relies it cmd haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Been crap all night for me, using youtube was getting alot of error messages, boards is one of the only sites that seems to be working perfectly, thought it was just my wi-fi.

But, all that said, I was getting perfect Skype and Xbox gaming a while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I am having similar problems since Friday.

Any US side/server I want to reach is painfully slow, while europe based sides continue to work fine.

Rapidshare is working like a charm, but filefactory, duckload is just crawling.

If I establish a VPN to europe and than try US sites everything works fine, so the problem must be with the routing that UPC is using to the US.

Same problem with youtube or my US based mail server, my EMEA based mail provider is working fine.

This morning nothing did work at all, so I had to use my vodafone stick as backup, now I'm slowly back with the same problem, EMEA fine, US bad.

Was just speaking to their tech support. Did the usual speed check and modem reset with them etc. They didn't see any problem with the connection. But since the problem is very intermittent, the tech support guy recommended calling the moment the problem occurs or to log the time the problem occurred and call them as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Evelynmc

I also spoke to UPC this morning, couldn't trouble shoot cos I'm in work but just said I'd ring and ask if they are aware of any issues, he said no haven't noticed any problems, thought it was kinda funny that he said that considering how many ppl I have seen posting about problems over the last week :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

probably an issue peering with the US counterparts level3/cogent.

UPC will only guarantee connectivity to their own network not to the US.

What i would suggest doing is logging the issue and tell them exactly what website you're trying to connect to and ask them to try the same.

• Advertisement

UPC is dead again for me, for the last hour here in Cork. Anyone else with an outage again?

EDIT: 2 hours later, and it's back :) Judging from the signal noise and voltage from the modem log, it looks the the cable was physically cut outside somehere. (more road digging, wirecutting or upgrades perhaps? )

Edit: 12 hours later, gone again :( ,

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭speedbird834

Am getting random disconnects in Cork since 12 today - technician said looking like a line fault somewhere

Yep was speaking to them earlier too, definetly a line fault. They say they're only seeing 4 people offline or having trouble in the city, so wonder who the other 2 are? :D

I'm getting a tech callout next week, back to using my mobile for "broadband" till then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Yeah it's a pain in the arse :mad:. Line fault apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

No broadband and no tv here in Rathmines since yesterday. Spent the guts of an hour last night playing with the wireless settings and resetting the modem, etc. I should have just guessed from the outset that it was a case of UPC being ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've been having the problem on and off for the past week or two in D.15 last night was especially bad.

At the moment it seems ok. I'd suggest rebooting your modem. Seems to help me when it its goes a bit gaa gaa.

Advertisement