Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 week old leans head to the right

• 20-02-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Not looking for medical advice just opinions and shared experience.

My 10 week old is hanging her head to the right all the time and always sleeps with her head to the right. I noticed it but didn't think much about it til the doc said it. I had brought her for something else so he didn't really go into detail about what it could be but he is referring her to Tallaght hospital so I am waiting on an appointment for her now. Has anyone else noticed this in their newborn? Any idea what it could be and was it serious?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

I think the most common reason for this is positioning in the womb. The muscles on one side end up tighter than on the other or something like that and then baby shows a preference for the less tight side because it's easier.

It's great that you've got the referral. They'll probably first check to ensure there's no other underlying cause and then refer you to a physio to give you exercises for baby such as tummy time, and positioning toys to one side to encourage baby to turn to that side. You'll probably also be encouraged to put baby to sleep in a particular position again to favor the weaker side.

Try not to worry about it - they'll be able to tell you more in the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

My little girl is 20 weeks and has also favoured the left side since birth. I'm not sure if it is caused by tight neck muscle (called toricullos) but I think that her head was wedged in my pelvis as her ears were flattened against her head like folded pieces of paper for the first few days.

Now one side of her head is slightly flattened and I can notice that this is impacting on the symmetry of her face. I discussed this with my PHN at her 3 month check, and she referred us for physiotherapy within the public health system. The physio came and assessed her and said that there's no much that can be done aside from trying to reposition baby as much as possible. So I have to sit and lie her in a way to try to stimulate her on the right, and when sitting on my lap I have to try to gently force her head to look to the right. Also. lots of tummy time and also lying her on (paradoxically) left side forcing her to lift her head up and strenghten the muscles on her right side. She also recommended a pillow made by Lilli Kuddis. This is to help relieve the pressure on baby's soft skull from always lying on the same side.

I would wait and talk to the physiotherapist. However, if the referral you get is for a long way away, I would give your PHN a call as there is a physio in each health centre and mine came to visit me within days of the referral.

The biggest risk with a baby favouring one side is a condition called positional plagiocephaly or "flat-head syndrone" as baby's skull bones are still so soft in the early days. Note that this condition is caused by lying on one side not the other way round, so if your baby had it you'd notice. From what I have learned so far the impact of this is mostly asthetic, i.e. there isn't an impact on baby's physical or cognitive development. All nurses, docs, and the physio have so far told me that the level of flatness and facial assymetry that my baby has is very mild and actually very common in babies, particularly due to teh recommendation that babies be placed on their backs to sleep.

Since we've started repositioning her, my husband and MIL have pointed out that they have noticed an improvement in her facial symmetry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Thanks for the replies. That was a great post lashing lady.

My last baby had a flat head from lying on his back but that has thankfully corrected itself now and he is 16 months now and you would barely notice it. This seems more serious to me though and has me quite worried. The main reason is I have a niece with a serious curvature in her spine and has to wear a full body brace now. Not sure if it is something that would run in the family though. I will probably be waiting ages for an appointment so going to ring the health nurse in the morning and see what she says. At least I'll know if its something to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Aswell as having the slightly flat head my little one's fontanelle is off to one side and starting to close. The day my PHN referred me to physio she noticed this and told me to go to my GP. I of course went and googled things about flat head and closing fontanelles and almost made myself sick with worry, couldn't sleep for that night, was crying, couldn't concentrate when driving the next day. When I went to my GP she almost brushed it off - flat head normal, fontanelle closing can be normal, and they are unlikely to related. I requested a second opinion just to be on the safe side. Am now waiting for a cranial untrasound in two weeks. None of the docs I've seen seem to think that the two are related, and they're really only concerned with the fontanelle, and they don't see it as majorly urgent as far as I can see.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that I am trying to take cues from them as far as I can rather than the scary stuff I saw on the internet which is worst case scenario stuff. I wouldn't be able to function with teh level of stress I got from reading that, so now I am just going to try to just go with the flow and wait for the ultrasound and try not to stress before then because it's not going to do my any good.....

I honestly doubt that this is something major to worry about though. Baby's neck muscles are so weak that the result of favouring one side will perpetuate until they are coaxed gently to start using the other side as the muscles need to strengthen.

Gosh this parently lark is terrifying isn't it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sun child

The first thing I noticed when my daughter was born was that one side of her face was bigger than the other side. I remember being quite upset by it during the first few min after she was born. I then noticed that she liked to sleep with her head facing one side only. When the doctor came to check her on the day we were discharged she asked me to come back and see her for her 6 week check so she could keep an eye on it.

At the six week check the size difference in her face was still visible and she was still preferring one side over the other. Doctor checked for lumps in the cheeks (there were none) and said that she probably liked a particular position in the womb which caused this but not to worry that a lot of babies were born like this and it goes away with time.

My daughter is now 18 weeks old and the preference for sleeping and holding her head to one side has gone. Her face has evened out to the point that you have to look very hard to see that one of her cheeks is ever so slightly bigger than the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

Great posts above which say most of it. Until your appointment, try to gently encourage her to look to her non preferred side when playing (left side, wasn't it?) - so for example if she has a seat, turn it so she to look to her left to see what's going on! Lots of tummy time is great too - for all babies.

If it's torticollis, physio will suggest ways to hold the baby to encourage her to develop the neck muscles and other exercises.

I'd also ask the GP to double check her hips at your next appointment, as our consultant said that babies with torticollis are more likely to have DDH & vice versa (a very little more likely, so don't stress!) also mentioned on this link http://www.babycenter.com/0_torticollis_10912.bc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Had a mild meltdown today about it. Was trying to get in touch with the doctor today that was getting the referral but he was out then rang health nurse and they were busy. Ended up in tears! Like to think after 4 kids I would be able to control myself but no....ended up crying to the health nurse who reassured me over the phone that loads of babies are like that and she is organising a physio appointment for me so I'll let you know the outcome.

Janmc I have been doing that over the weekend, lying her in the cot facing the wall so she has to turn to me but she isn't really turning so gently turning her head myself. Hopefully it will get better over time.

Thanks for all the replies.

Advertisement