Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multi feed dish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    Those lnbs are the dogs boolks as they say in the trade as they are slimline with a long neck and makes the space between each lnb look a lot more than it actually is

They look like every other standard feedhorn 40mm lnb to me; what exactly do you mean by slimline?

Anyway, I'll judge the spacings by looking at the holders rather than the body of the lnb.
    The beauty of the quads is you can do wonderoas things with the correct receivers.
    Wondrous?! Like what?
    there is a lot of english programmes on 19east as well.
    Where?

the skew on 19 is necessary for the actual poistion of the satellite in the sky remeber this is a multi sat rig, its not supposed to work so you fool the lnbs to grab its distinct sat signals. This is not a case of putting up dish, attaching an lnb and bingo there is the sat. This type of work takes ages
    It only takes ages if you don't know what you're doing, the basic idea is simple. The "actual position" of the Astra 1 satellites is above the equator at 19.2 degrees longitude; how is that a special case where skew is concerned, no matter what the offset?
    once you get that the rest is easy.

I thought it 'took ages' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

brilliant, i knew it, it had to be a receiver with one of the finest tuners ever made or I should say the most sensitive, it will pick up signals other receivers wont even sniff. They are prized in europe as they are known to even pick up BBC HD . That's why the system works so well.

I am not bothered about the pics as I know it works. And for a beginner you have done well,, in fact a good bit better than well. 80% signal, wow.

much appreciated all the effort you took to post back.

gbcullen

GBCullen.

Thanks very much for your kind words GB.

Just trying to repay the good karma coz I said, I would not hvae been able to do this without the help of people like Watty, Banie and zardoz and others.

A word of perserverence though, getting Badr 26 is hard hard work, but once you get that the rest just falls into place.

Regards

Iba

t c wrote: »
    Great pics iba, good to see them working. I hope I can sort mine as good.

GB, not sure of where you are in Europe, but Satfinder dishpointer gives me an elevation of 22.4 and I am not too far from iba.

How critical is elevation? Also dishpointer gives the skew which I presume is for each satellite assuming it is the prime one, so if LNB is not the prime, ie 28, 19 or 13 in my case, it would only be a starting point. Is this correct?

Also, I still have to admit that iba's lnb's do not look like slime-line ones. I would be thinkink of Alps and similar as slime-line, ones with very small ends that will sit close.

Cheers

TC.

TC

Thanks - I hope it works out for u 2.

As for elevation, I read on another thread that one should aim for the highest elevation - as I said in a previous post, Im really no expert at all, just a beginner so I followed that advise and it worked. But whether its right or wrong I really cannot say. It may be that if you are only using one LNB and aiming for Badr then the 22.4 elevation is best but if doing a multi set-up maybe the 26 is best. But Im only guessing.

I didnt take the skew figures from Dishpointer or anywhere, I just moved the LNBs left and right until I was receiving the strongest signal - again the skew numbers in dishpointer may be referring to just a single LNB set-up; but again Im only guessing.

The 2 LNBs for Astra 28 and Badr 26 are reasonable big, but they fitted so I didnt need to go for skinny ones. The black LNB for Hotbird though is skinny and is top of the range as far as I know. Bought it on Ebay from the UK for about €26 including postage. I needed this coz Im watching premiership football on Canal + Poland on the signal was is a little weak but comes in fine with this LNB.

Tony - my advice would be, sort out Badr first and then do the rest. Badr is by far teh hardest to get.

BTW - the cheapest place I found Diseqc switches was from a sat shop in Ennis approx €6 and the Quad Triax holder can be got for €15, (but from a different shop).

Hope this helps.

Regards

Iba

Hope this helps.

hi tc ye are both neighbours so use exact same set up, dont worry about the lnbs, dishpointer cant cope with 4 lnbs, so ignore.

ELEVATION on dish is key.

So trax 1.1m , 26 elevation, turn holder upside down, find out from iba exactly where to drill the hole for 26 as that is the key ie the weakest sat, once you get that the rest is easy. and dont worry about skew, the holder compensates. You only skew afterwards to fine tune.

By the way IBA' receiver is very sensitive but I know technomates are pretty good as well.

Dont worry about the size of lnb's, have a look at at few setups and then compare with IBA.S.

But do reinforce the lnb arm on the dish.

What I will do is take a screenshot of a channel on each sat, and get the strongest transponder, screenshot with show channel, frequency, signal/quality and the damm LOGO.

I might do one in a mo but defenitely by tomoro.

gbc

GB.

I drilled the hole 5cm from the middle

Any suggestions on how to reinforce the arm, I havnt done that?

Regards

Iba

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

iba wrote: »
    It may be that if you are only using one LNB and aiming for Badr then the 22.4 elevation is best but if doing a multi set-up maybe the 26 is best.

I don't see how this could be the case if the lnb for 26 is (properly) at prime focus. The satellites don't move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Mexecutioner

So trax 1.1m , 26 elevation, turn holder upside down, find out from iba exactly where to drill the hole for 26

Isn't the new hole in the bar to move it off centre & allow reception of 13E?

No need to turn it upside down if you're reboring it anyway.

I didnt take the skew figures from Dishpointer or anywhere, I just moved the LNBs left and right until I was receiving the strongest signal - again the skew numbers in dishpointer may be referring to just a single LNB set-up; but again Im only guessing.

You do know what 'skew' is with regards to an lnb?

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    I don't see how this could be the case if the lnb for 26 is (properly) at prime focus. The satellites don't move.

Peter,

I dont know, really Im no expert; but thats what I read in other threads and thats what I did and it worked.

You are free of course to do whatever u like.

Regards

Iba

Isn't the new hole in the bar to move it off centre & allow reception of 13E?

No need to turn it upside down if you're reboring it anyway.

Mexecutioner,

1) Yes I think so
    2) The advise I received was to turn the bar upside down. I took that advice and it worked, what more can i say.

Regards

iba

• Advertisement

You do know what 'skew' is with regards to an lnb?

yes

The advise I received was to turn the bar upside down. I took that advice and it worked, what more can i say.

You're missing out on a chance to learn by just blindly following instructions; you'll get more pleasure from a task when you know why you carried out a modification. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

is this thread still alive iba, i am sure there is another one now. i will show you an image on how to secure the lnb arm but if you had instructions with the triax holder its got a little picture.

gbc

You're missing out on a chance to learn by just blindly following instructions; you'll get more pleasure from a task when you know why you carried out a modification. :)

I will do what I want and derive pleasure from what I want and it is none of ur businness

is this thread still alive iba, i am sure there is another one now. i will show you an image on how to secure the lnb arm but if you had instructions with the triax holder its got a little picture.

gbc

GB - I sent u a PM

i saw it but had to rush out, i did a quick reply but don't know if it went. here are 2 images, if not clear enough let me know. I am putting them on here in case others may need them but lately I am beginning to think why bother?

nb be careful drilling those screw holes.

gbcullen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭t c

Sorry GB.

Not sure what pics mean. My Triax came with that bolt and nut and already drilled, is there something missing?

I thought you meant to strengthen whole arm as it does not seem the strongest, just aluminium.

I hope to get time next week to start mounting new dish, just not sure of the best way to mount a 1.1 or, in my case with electric cables, where.

TC

tc, look closely at dish, the way i read it is use 2 bolts, can you see the indent on the image. maybe the new triax have changed the way lnb arm is held in place. i will have a look at a few. the idea is the arm will sag a little under the weight. Or if you can post a pic of your dish showing where lnb meets dish. If you cant do it you cant. There is another method that I read about stabilising bracket somewhere and may dig it out.

My triax is 12 years old!! told you I was getting too old for this malarkey and after some of the comments by a few on here maybe you can understand why!! What was that saying at work " Dont let the ........ grind you down""

gbc

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭t c

GB,

I do appreciate the input. See my original thread, " multi LNB set up".

TC

i saw it but had to rush out, i did a quick reply but don't know if it went. here are 2 images, if not clear enough let me know. I am putting them on here in case others may need them but lately I am beginning to think why bother?

nb be careful drilling those screw holes.

gbcullen

Thanks GB

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kusadasiboris

Helle guys how is going? well I have 1 metre of dish, I recently rid of the motor, I didn't want to wait and motor was bit noisy , so because of that I decide to setup multifeed lnb setup. I wish to get 7e,13e,19e,28e option 42E, so what is the best way for me to set this, what should be my zero point? which satellite?
    note :
    attaching the picture of my setup, at the moment dish set it to hotbird

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Helle guys how is going? well I have 1 metre of dish, I recently rid of the motor, I didn't want to wait and motor was bit noisy , so because of that I decide to setup multifeed lnb setup. I wish to get 7e,13e,19e,28e option 42E, so what is the best way for me to set this, what should be my zero point? which satellite?
    note :
    attaching the picture of my setup, at the moment dish set it to hotbird

Thank you

I actually have one of those brackets you are using on order for messing with. I currently use a Triax TD88 with the Triax Multibracket, but I had to redrill that bracket so that the majority of the bracket was on one side in order to allow the rest of the bracket for the spacing to 28 with the prime focus on the lowest E satellite (4.8E), so I get 28 to 4.8E.

On a bigger dish the spacing becomes wider.

28E to 7E should be okay. Can that bracket slide to the left (looking on) or is it set ? You need to have prime focus at 7E and then everything else to the left of it. Otherwise your 7E will suffer as it will be the weakest.

Example this is [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/167996/242412.jpg[/url].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

STB wrote: »
    I actually have one of those brackets you are using on order for messing with. I currently use a Triax TD88 with the Triax Multibracket, but I had to redrill that bracket so that the majority of the bracket was on one side in order to allow the rest of the bracket for the spacing to 28 with the prime focus on the lowest E satellite (4.8E), so I get 28 to 4.8E.

28E to 7E should be okay. Can that bracket slide to the left (looking on) or is it set ? You need to have prime focus at 7E and then everything else to the left of it. Otherwise your 7E will suffer as it will be the weakest.

Example this is 13E to 39E (28E near centre).

STB looking at your pic and working left to right can you tell me what sats you are getting?

kooga wrote: »
    STB looking at your pic and working left to right can you tell me what sats you are getting?

That picture above was (left to right) 13, 19.2, 23.5, 28.2 and 39E.

Other variations....

My current setup is (left to right) 4.8E 7E 13E 23E and 28E, I havent got a picture of that at the moment but the arm is pointing at apx 8E with the bracket redrilled so that only 2 lnbs are on the left and the rest on the right to maximise space.

hello thnx for the Quick answer, yeah that white lnb on the middle is prime focus to 13e at the moment, like I said before, I am currently using 1 metre dish, do I have to upgrade the size for better signal and more sats? I actually can get longer tube stick to extend area and number of lbs, I do see sometime online people has like 6-11 lnbs on the single dish , for this position what position my dish Should be on? like to get for now 7e,13e,19e,28e options also wanted to get 23e,42e

Example this is 13E to 39E (28E near centre).

hi,
    Yeah finally solved today, got 7E,13E,19E,28.2E so far with 1.1 dish , so far sats are grand except 28.2E for exsample I get only %56 signal rate on sky news. just couldn't get higher signal what so ever ,I hope wont couse any problems when is raining .
    cheers

hi,
    Yeah finally solved today, got 7E,13E,19E,28.2E so far with 1.1 dish , so far sats are grand except 28.2E for exsample I get only %56 signal rate on sky news. just couldn't get higher signal what so ever ,I hope wont couse any problems when is raining .
    cheers

You don't need a bigger dish. I get those satellites on a smaller dish than a 1m (88cm Triax).

With that adjustable bracket you are using your biggest issue is the bracket being long enough to cover 7E to 28.2E. If you are only getting 56% on Sky News it is a sign that you are not fully tweaked. Even with the satellite dish pointing at 7E with the furthest offset at 28.2 you should have no problem getting 60-70%+. 56% on weak TPs like Sky News which will become unwatchable when the bad weather kicks in.

If your dish elevation is set around 29 (use dishpointer.com to get exact elevation for 7E for your area) on the side of the dish, then to maximise 28E reception you will need to move the 28E LNB holder higher vertically and skew the lnb (the 7E LNB holder will be lowest vertically). That is the good thing about those brackets. The bad thing is the bar on the bottom may not be long enough.

You don't need a bigger dish. I get those satellites on a smaller dish than a 1m (88cm Triax).

With that adjustable bracket you are using your biggest issue is the bracket being long enough to cover 7E to 28.2E. If you are only getting 56% on Sky News it is a sign that you are not fully tweaked. Even with the satellite dish pointing at 7E with the furthest offset at 28.2 you should have no problem getting 60-70%+. 56% on weak TPs like Sky News which will become unwatchable when the bad weather kicks in.

If your dish elevation is set around 29 (use dishpointer.com to get exact elevation for 7E for your area) on the side of the dish, then to maximise 28E reception you will need to move the 28E LNB holder higher vertically and skew the lnb (the 7E LNB holder will be lowest vertically). That is the good thing about those brackets. The bad thing is the bar on the bottom may not be long enough.
    Hi again, yeah I was thinking that I don't need bigger dish,but I haven't got a chance to see whole at sats yet, if start giving problems at bad weather, then I will do what u said, here the picture of it. let me know if everything looks fine to you. cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Hi again, yeah I was thinking that I don't need bigger dish,but I haven't got a chance to see whole at sats yet, if start giving problems at bad weather, then I will do what u said, here the picture of it. let me know if everything looks fine to you. cheers

EEmm, not 100% sure about that setup. Is it secure (I.e does the lnb holders feel secure), Im worried about the wind moving those LNB's. Also usually in most Multi LNB brackets you have a curve in the bracket arm, Its not straight. This usually compensates the arc.

If you look at STB's post and picture you will see what i mean.

snaps wrote: »
    Also usually in most Multi LNB brackets you have a curve in the bracket arm, Its not straight.

:confused: Who said the bar is straight? Wouldn't work if it was.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    :confused: Who said the bar is straight? Wouldn't work if it was.

It would if the vertical lnb holders were twistable. They are not fixed, the do twist around allowing tweaking on each lnb effectively.

265854.JPG

• Advertisement

Yes it looks good. You can see the arc from the amount of the vertical poles that are left at the bottom. The only thing is that you are running out of vertical pole on 28.2 ie upwards.

To tune it perfectly higher the elevation on the dish and sort 7E first (whilst getting the 7E at its lowest on the main holder attached to the arm). This will allow you to have more tweaking on 28E etc which require the higher positions for lower elevation.

As I say I ordered one to play with as they seem to offer more tweaking possibilities for maximising reception. The Triax bracket after modding still doesnt offer enough elevation on the bracket between 28 and 7E.

It would if the vertical lnb holders were twistable. They are not fixed, the do twist around allowing tweaking on each lnb effectively.

Yes, I see now how each could be moved closer to or further from the dish.

265854.JPG

Where do you order one of these from please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

The Triax bracket after modding still doesnt offer enough elevation on the bracket between 28 and 7E.
    I use the Triax for 4.8e - 28.2e on a TD88, and have no reception problems with 28.2e, elevation is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

excollier wrote: »
    I use the Triax for 4.8e - 28.2e on a TD88, and have no reception problems with 28.2e, elevation is ok.

Same here, no elevation issues with 28.2e on a 12.5 degree offset on a modded Triax bar.
    However I do find that 23.5e and 9e seem to need to be higher than the triax bar generally allows.
    If I peak signal on 4.8e and 28.2e, it should follow that I am on arc with the bar.
    However I still need to add @6-8mm height to the individual LNB positions for 9e and 23.5e to get those birds peaked.

I like the LNB holder STB linked!
    I was looking for something similar a couple of years ago and bought a similar setup with a curved bar and height adjustable holders but that one looks a lot more solid than my previous one.
    It was brilliant initially, great for individual tweaking but after a couple of typical Irish weather days I found it needed to be adjusted a lot(after every blow really)
    Unlike the triax bar which is rock solid, only time that needs going at is when I'm bored ;)

Where do you order one of these from please?

Here, €15, free delivery. the catch is wait forever and it may arrive one day because its from China.

Any day soon mine should arrive.

Same setup. 4.8 to 28, prime at 7/8.

Its probably where I re-drilled it on the bar. I have the prime focus at 7/8E so I could get max strength on 7 (as thats where the majority of the feeds are these days) so the tilt is not enough for the borderline TPs like PickTv etc on 28E. Even tried your trick with a thin sheet of metal under the arm.

I'll wait for the new toy bracket to arrive. If its crap I'll go back to tweaking the Triax when I buy a new drill, which went on me today. What I really want is a motor !

Anyone noticed that those feeds with a S/R around 14400 are difficult to receive on a VU ?

There's the difference, I have 16e at prime, so 28.2 is closer than yours with 7e at focus.

Yes it looks good. You can see the arc from the amount of the vertical poles that are left at the bottom. The only thing is that you are running out of vertical pole on 28.2 ie upwards.

To tune it perfectly higher the elevation on the dish and sort 7E first (whilst getting the 7E at its lowest on the main holder attached to the arm). This will allow you to have more tweaking on 28E etc which require the higher positions for lower elevation.

As I say I ordered one to play with as they seem to offer more tweaking possibilities for maximising reception. The Triax bracket after modding still doesnt offer enough elevation on the bracket between 28 and 7E.
    hi, I didn't set the dish my self, see I don't have decent sat meter, that the problem. I call one of the guy who has pro meter but not permanent installer . so cheap and cheer full so they say . I will try on openbox to night actually see how is all the sats, and I am well taking your advise you are very helpful. I thank you for that, and I read other comments about these bracket, my own opinion is, I reckon those ln brackets are better than triax ones, I found so handful to use. adjusts very simple and cleverly work on the lnb holders , I even have 3 way lnb holders many of them in stock(. didn't want to use it, because I think this Chinese one is deadly job.

• Advertisement

Same setup. 4.8 to 28, prime at 7/8.

Its probably where I re-drilled it on the bar. I have the prime focus at 7/8E so I could get max strength on 7 (as thats where the majority of the feeds are these days) so the tilt is not enough for the borderline TPs like PickTv etc on 28E. Even tried your trick with a thin sheet of metal under the arm.

I'll wait for the new toy bracket to arrive. If its crap I'll go back to tweaking the Triax when I buy a new drill, which went on me today. What I really want is a motor !

Anyone noticed that those feeds with a S/R around 14400 are difficult to receive on a VU ?

I found this guy to be the cheapest for a motor and then I got it delivered to Belfast with ParcelMotel

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alsat-Dark-Superior-DiSEqC-All-Metal-Geared-Motor-Just-35-00-Lowest-On-eBay-/310454212437?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

banie01 wrote: »
    Same here, no elevation issues with 28.2e on a 12.5 degree offset on a modded Triax bar.
    However I do find that 23.5e and 9e seem to need to be higher than the triax bar generally allows.
    If I peak signal on 4.8e and 28.2e, it should follow that I am on arc with the bar.
    However I still need to add @6-8mm height to the individual LNB positions for 9e and 23.5e to get those birds peaked.

I like the LNB holder STB linked!
    I was looking for something similar a couple of years ago and bought a similar setup with a curved bar and height adjustable holders but that one looks a lot more solid than my previous one.
    It was brilliant initially, great for individual tweaking but after a couple of typical Irish weather days I found it needed to be adjusted a lot(after every blow really)
    Unlike the triax bar which is rock solid, only time that needs going at is when I'm bored ;)

Re. raising 23.5, do you actually have that in a holder or without because I cant see how to raise it if it is in a holder?

I also tried your trick with a sliver of a piece of plastic in the arm.

I found this guy to be the cheapest for a motor and then I got it delivered to Belfast with ParcelMotel

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alsat-Dark-Superior-DiSEqC-All-Metal-Geared-Motor-Just-35-00-Lowest-On-eBay-/310454212437?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

hi, I actually get rid my motor after few years, its just brilliant to get all the sats from 4.8e to 42e, but unfortunately just couldn't wait to till motor tune to sat. I like zap zap brustic quick. so because of that I only got to use 4 sats for now. I am thinking to get second dish in future for more sats , for now, 7E,13e.19e.28.2e will do me
    Boris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Re. raising 23.5, do you actually have that in a holder or without because I cant see how to raise it if it is in a holder?

I also tried your trick with a sliver of a piece of plastic in the arm.

Yes its the holder, take a standard Triax LNB holder, cut it so the LNB collar is separate from the rail mount.
    Then you build up the additional height you need/want with epoxy resin and reattach the collar.

banie01 wrote: »
    Yes its the holder, take a standard Triax LNB holder, cut it so the LNB collar is separate from the rail mount.
    Then you build up the additional height you need/want with epoxy resin and reattach the collar.

Gotcha, thanks

lads I don't know if its against rules or anything but I do have plenty 3 way lnb holders for sale. if anybody want I will post it nationwide. only 8 euros including post I am adding the image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Here, €15, free delivery. the catch is wait forever and it may arrive one day because its from China.

Any day soon mine should arrive.

Hi STB - did you get this multbracket through yet?

Hi STB - did you get this multbracket through yet?

Nope. Any day now I'll get a surprise..... Hong Kong post, its free, but unpredicatable.

For €15, I'm not expecting much. I'll post pics and results and soon as I get it.

Nope. Any day now I'll get a surprise..... Hong Kong post, its free, but unpredicatable.

For €15, I'm not expecting much. I'll post pics and results and soon as I get it.

Cheers I'd be interested in knowing how sturdy it would be in a windy environment.

I've fitted a few of them in Donegal and they are pretty good.

I've fitted a few of them in Donegal and they are pretty good.

Good to hear - what are the clamps like - any chance of them loosening over time and loosing alignment?

BTW: where did you get yours from?

• Advertisement
Advertisement