Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Keeps Dropping when Another Connection Is In Range

Options
  • 20-02-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    I'm with Perlico for broadband. Almost every day my Wifi signal drops when another connection named Netgear shows up.

I don't know if they're are broadcasting on the same signal (is that even possible?) or what the story is but I'd appreciate the help because it's a serious pain in the ass. It can last from 5 mins to 30 mins or so. Even though my network is showing it won't connect properly.

Appreciate any advice you can offer or recommend any changes I can make myself to stop it happening.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

It is possible they could be interfering with each other.

Find a program that'll let you scan the area and will show you the channel it's on.

Maybe this if on Windows: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
    Maybe this if on Mac: http://www.istumbler.net/

The channels that don't interfere with each other are: 1, 6 and 11.

If the NETGEAR one is on any of these, switch yours to another. Most WiFi routers have an automatic channel setting. Perhaps setting it to that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Thanks John, that app did the job. They were broadcasting on the same channel. Have changed up now and all seems fine. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Good stuff! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RogueFaye

reminds me what i did some time ago, A neighbour of mine was suffer from same problem as yours but the cultpit is myself, well u can't really say its my fault cause I live in this house first and he moved in later. I was always on channel 6 and there was no neighours with Wifi until he moves in and decides to use channel 6 as well. I had an Wifi booster with +500MW of power installed so obviously I would be causing him some disconnections. Funny thing is, rather than just simply switch channel to avoid me, he starts to rename his Wifi name to like "F**K OFF" or "Stop it" etc etc, all sort of flaming message as if he HAS TO use channel 6. Surely as I'm not affect I simply get a laugh out of it, finally he switch to other channels but use wifi names like "U AS*Hole" etc etc , now this is where I decides to have more fun, Whichever channels he switches to, I do the same just to annoy him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

RogueFaye wrote: »
    I had an Wifi booster with +500MW of power installed so obviously I would be causing him some disconnections.

500 M W ???
    man,nice one ....

i think is enough to switch one of those baby camera monitoring systems to bring wireless down big time !

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    500 M W ???
    man,nice one ....

i think is enough to switch one of those baby camera monitoring systems to bring wireless down big time !

Yep 500Mw, got it off ebay bout year and half ago. the whole house and even my front and back yard recieves full bar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Amplifier-500mW-WiFi-Signal-Booster-/220737950814?pt=AU_Networking&hash=item336501d45e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If it was 500MW you would have fried the transmitter and had the guards knocking down your door.

The booster is 500mW.

FSL wrote: »
    If it was 500MW you would have fried the transmitter and had the guards knocking down your door.

The booster is 500mW.

My bad, sorry 500 Milliwatt :)
    MW would be out of this world , I don't think our ESB home supply can power that can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

john__long wrote: »
    It is possible they could be interfering with each other.

The channels that don't interfere with each other are: 1, 6 and 11.

If the NETGEAR one is on any of these, switch yours to another. Most WiFi routers have an automatic channel setting. Perhaps setting it to that will help.

those are the US channels.
    the EU channels are 1, 7 13.

Advertisement