Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound proof dividing wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wagon_repair

i'd put acoustic insulation in between the studs and then i'd say your set really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Different sounds need different types of insulation. Airbourne and impact sounds are very different and need to be treated seperatley. Ideally you would need to build an isolated wall with an air gap between the existing wall to reduce impact sounds. Airbourne sounds need mass insulation like dense materials.

No experience myself, just what I have read on the web.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Not a bad plan. I take it the wall is concrete and skimmed.?? If so I would use your rubber mats and mushroom insulated boards on.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Can't see you getting the results you want doing it like that as you are still making a mechanical/solid fixture from front to back which will transfer sound.

There was a crowd on about the house (RTE) a while back doing this for about €1,500'ish for upstairs and downstairs fully insulated, reskimmed, coving and skirting replaced. You could prob knock a few yoyo's off if you did cove and skirting??

Worth a look IMO and a lot less hassle than DIY in and out with guaranteed results.

Advertisement