Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help fast

• 20-02-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭

My 11yo cocker spaniel has been really irriatble and agitated the last few days, just like looking for attention all the time. Late last night he jumped up on me when i was in bed, something he well knws hes not allowed do, and then suddenly started vomiting. We brought him to the vet this morning and she found blood in the colon/rectum area but he had no temperature. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You brought the dog to the vet and the vet hasn't suggested what might be wrong or given any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Shes putting him on a drip as hes slightly dehydrated but I just got a bad feeling from her that its something serious. He made alot of noise when she felt that area

I don't mean to sound rude or uncaring but really nobody here is qualified to say what might or might not be wrong with your dog, only someone who has seen / done tests can (like the vet). People can suggest what *may* be wrong but they can't know for certain.

If you think it's something serious by the reaction of your vet you need to ask her what she fears it may be - she might not want to say in case she's not 100% sure yet and doesn't want to worry you further for no reason.
    I do hope your dog is ok though, it's horrible when they're not well

I understand what your saying. She didnt come out and say anything but I just know its not good.I just wondered if anyone here had experienced anything similar. Had him since my 1st communion and im in college now so hes well part of the family

The only thing is, someone might have had a similar experience and it just be a stomach bug, or someone else may be the same but it was a foreign object ingested, or a few other things. Just bear that in mind if anyone does give their experience with their dog/similar situation, it doesn't always mean that's exactly what's wrong with your dog.

If your vet really seems to think it's bad news of some form then I'd press her for more information (if it were either of my dogs I'd be pushing too) even if she can only say 'it could be X or Y, but we've ruled out Z' you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Crikey OP I would not be too happy coming back from a vet with no idea of whats wrong.
    we recently had an episode of blood (quite a lot) in the stool of one of our dogs. I thought it was the end! A course of antibiotics later she was fine, some infection.
    really cant tell you what it is with your doggy but could be the same. ours was in bad way and the amount of blood scared the hell out of me.
    hopefully he is ok but I assume he is in with the vet if he is on a drip?

She is keeping him in. I wanted to take him home so as someone would be around him all the time but she insisted on keeping him. I think she was really just trying to keep me calm really because I got one hell of a fright when I saw the blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

It could just be a bad gastric bug, my dog has had them a couple of times and there was blood at both ends, but with some drugs from the vet and a little rest, he was grand again in 48 hours. Try not to worry too much until you have to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

hi op try not to worry to much. my dog is pretty much the same this morning i had him at the vets with bloody diaripha(sp)and getting sick. i wasnt worried about parvo cos my dogs are vac but still was worried. anyways the vet said there is a bad bug going around at the moment he has seen 100s in this last month with it. while i was there there was 2 more calls with the same thing. he gave my girl a injection with anti biotic with a anti sickm=ness drugs as well, and send her home with tablets and a paste. No food at all, plenty of water. if she is no better tomorrow i have to bring her back and he said she will prob end up on a drip. now have to watch all my others. my girl was also making whimpering noises when he touched her tummy, he said this was cos she just had a bad tummy.
    I think next time your at vets its better for your self if you ask the vet what he thinks is wrong as it will save you from going home in a state thinking of all sorts. my vet is good he does explain but some vets just dont think and you leave thinking allsorts. As you are so worried i would give the vet a ring to find out how your fella is doing, i presume he was kept in if he is on a drip and ask how he is doing, i would then ask what does she think is wrong.
    Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Well he made it through the night with no deterioration but he lost alot of blood yesterday. The vet said hes still alert and responsive which has to be a good sign. Ive just got this sinking feeling it could be parvovirus, the vet said it is a possibility but that it may ne a number of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Starpants is right (nice to see you back :)).

You have to have a very honest, direct relationship with any Vet. Make it clear that you want to be told about any situation without reservation. If after this episode you feel that the Vet was not open enough then change Vets. If the Vet has not reached a reasonable diagnosis within a couple of days then seek a second opinion. You will be paying your Vet a fortune. You are the customer & deserve good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Hang in there. Our thoughts are with you. Try to keep positive. Do let us know how your little friend is getting on when you ring the vet tomorrow morning...

AS

He made it through another night last night and the bleeding seems to have stopped, he has started passing dried blood which the vet thinks is a good sign. On the less positive side, they gave him some soild food this morning and it came straight back up. But I think the fact he showed an intrest in the food is a good sign, hes also very responsive all the time. The vet said hes in great shape for a dog of his age so hopefully that will stand to him.

have they done an ultrasound or xray?

She had some reason why it wasnt worth doing an ultrasound but she has taken blood samples which we shoulod have sometime today

Are you happy with the vet OP? is she talking to you about it all?

It sounds from your posts like she is not giving you much info about what it could be? If he is still vomiting then they have not got to the root of the problem?
    If you are not totally confident in the vet then i would be thinking about taking him to another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ryanf1 wrote: »
    She had some reason why it wasnt worth doing an ultrasound but she has taken blood samples which we shoulod have sometime today

Has she told you what she suspects the problem to be ?. If not I would having serious doubts over her ability.

Discodog wrote: »
    Has she told you what she suspects the problem to be ?. If not I would having serious doubts over her ability.
    She gave a few possibilities but to be honest I wasnt expecting a definitive diagnosis until the bloods came back. These have shown no cancer or parvo, which was the biggest worries. So now it looks like its a severe gastric infection

Advertisement