Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop - Unidentified network No internet access

• 20-02-2011 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a new laptop yesterday. It's Windows 7 and the one I am now is Vista.

To connect to the internet (on vista) I turn on the wireless and enter the password. This only ever had to be done once and nothing else was ever needed.

Now on the Windows 7 when I turn on the wireless and enter the password it says connected but says 'Unidentified network No internet access'.

The laptop is new and I don't want to be changing things I don't know about or that don't need to be changed.

I can only assume the problem is where I live. We get free internet access in the building. So there's no router or anything here. Just some things on the wall.

I got a yellow cable I had at home and took it to my apartment and connected it but the laptop tells me the cable is broken.

Are there any simple solutions for this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Update the ethernet and wireless drivers
    The microsoft drivers are probably installed as was on my laptop
    and I downloaded and installed drivers from the vendor to fix my problem may work for you as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Thanks.. but how can I do that if I can't connect to the internet?
    (I can use another laptop and an external hard drive if that helps?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

PeteK* wrote: »
    Thanks.. but how can I do that if I can't connect to the internet?
    (I can use another laptop and an external hard drive if that helps?)

Wire your laptop to the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

PeteK* wrote: »
    Hi,

I got a new laptop yesterday. It's Windows 7 and the one I am now is Vista.

To connect to the internet (on vista) I turn on the wireless and enter the password. This only ever had to be done once and nothing else was ever needed.

Now on the Windows 7 when I turn on the wireless and enter the password it says connected but says 'Unidentified network No internet access'.

The laptop is new and I don't want to be changing things I don't know about or that don't need to be changed.

I can only assume the problem is where I live. We get free internet access in the building. So there's no router or anything here. Just some things on the wall.

I got a yellow cable I had at home and took it to my apartment and connected it but the laptop tells me the cable is broken.

Are there any simple solutions for this problem?

First, is the the wireless network the same as your Vista laptop is connecting to , dosenit have the same name ? What encryption is use WEP or WPA? Also,if you an go to START->RUN and type ipconfig and show us what it say on both laptops .

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Wire your laptop to the router?
    I said in my first post that the wire I have doesn't seem to work on either of the laptops. There's no physical router.. it's just a socket in the wall. The whole apartment block has free internet access that appears to be wireless only.. (from Imagine Broadband). There's just a socket in the wall.. same as the room but it has a box plugged into it that I can assume is the router but nothing can be connected to it. I'm getting the loan of a friend's cable to see if it helps.
    mach1982 wrote: »
    First, is the the wireless network the same as your Vista laptop is connecting to , dosenit have the same name ? What encryption is use WEP or WPA? Also,if you an go to START->RUN and type ipconfig and show us what it say on both laptops .
    I think it's WPA, how can I tell? I'll confirm it when I get home and post the details you asked for. Thanks for helping me guys!

• Advertisement

Apparently there were problems with the internet here and it's sorted now.. the internet connected for me for one day, Feb 26th.

Here's the IPConfig /all

W at the end of the file name means 'Working'. Basically the computer I'm on right now.

NW at the end of one means 'Not Working'. The new one with the problems.

There are differences in the two but I have no idea what should and shouldn't be changed.. if any!

OK five seconds after posting this my laptop claimed to have a new network and select pubic, work or whatever.. I picked home and now it's connected.. I'm about to collapse.. but will a reboot mess it up on me? :(

Turns out only one can connect at a time.. does that mean the incoming IPs are the same and one needs to be changed or something else?
    How is it done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 RogueFaye

looking at ur Ipconfig , your building is on an IP range under 172.16.0.X
    from the working PC.
    Your non working PC is not on the same IP range, 169.254.230.46 is what windows assign when there's no DHCP assigned IP.
    There's 2 things I need to know first.
    1st look into your IPV4 properties of your WORKING PC, and tell me and tell me if IP and DNS are set to automatic, if not then post settings here.
    2nd, Do the same thing on your Non working PC and post results here.

Next time can u take ur photos properly, i had to twist my head around to see it for god sake. Do a print screen or copy the txt from cmd.

Thanks.. sorry.. I didn't realise the photo would appear that way. I took it with the phone. I was doing a print screen but then I couldn't upload it cos it wouldn't connect to the net. :pac:

Both are set to Automatic on the IPV4 Properties..

Windows 7 is the one not working
    Vista is the one working

For both to be connected simultaneously, Vista needs to be on and connected to the internet first. Windows 7 will then connect. But Vista will not if I put Windows 7 on first.

Advertisement