Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1200-€1300 Build Spec inside

Options
  • 20-02-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Posting this for a friend. They picked these parts and before he buy's it he wants advise on what he has selected.

It's for gaming playing Black ops Cyrsis and anything new coming out.

He has 2 x HD 24" monitors and wanted a Dual HDMI graphics card.

I can't post this image on a image hosting site as work as it blocked. If the next person to post could upload it to image hosting that would be great :)

Advice please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I've heard those gaming network cards make very little difference. You might be better off dropping that and putting into a better CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

grizzly wrote: »
    I've heard those gaming network cards make very little difference. You might be better off dropping that and putting into a better CPU?
    Yeah, OP you really need to look at reviews as some of them are mixed. €70 is a lot of money that could be reallocated to your gfx card.

Also, that RAM is quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

also a single high end graphics card (like a 6870, 6950 or 560 gtx) is way better than dual mid range graphic cards for the simple reason that some games still does not support dual gpu's plus another high end card would be a possible upgrade sometime down the line
    plus the antec 900 was brilliant back in it's day but it is completely terrible for cable management which just turns it into a giant dust magnet

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

NeVeR wrote: »
    Hi All,

Posting this for a friend. They picked these parts and before he buy's it he wants advise on what he has selected.

It's for gaming playing Black ops Cyrsis and anything new coming out.

He has 2 x HD 24" monitors and wanted a Dual HDMI graphics card.

I can't post this image on a image hosting site as work as it blocked. If the next person to post could upload it to image hosting that would be great :)

Advice please :)

That's the German version of windows 7 you have there too.
    HWVS stock the English version but it's about €5 more expensive.

Heres what I'd reccomend insted:

29deov9.png

Better CPU, Better chipset on the motherboard, Better CPU cooler, in stock Blu-ray\DVD+RW, Better sound card, English Windows 7, Amazing case (LanCool owned by Lian-Li ;)), cheaper and just as fast RAM, modular PSU, single high end video card (just add a DVI to HDMI cable and sorted) and best of all no useless network card =].
    Trust us the onboard network is already amazing as it is on current mobos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=24479 instead. Cheaper and better except not modular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Is the soundcard nessesary?

Actually, I'd go for 2x4GB instead, not that 8GB is necessary.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=33967

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Monotype wrote: »
    Actually, I'd go for 2x4GB instead, not that 8GB is necessary.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=33967

The OP had expensive 1600MHz, CL8 ram in his original build.
    If he wants to stick with fast 1600MHZ RAM with low latency CL8 specs then this might be a good compromise at €115 for 8GB (2*4GB) (although it's currently out of stock :()

There we go,
    http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/8GB_GeIL_PC3_12800_1600MHz_Value_Plus_CL9_Dual_Channel_kit-2x4GB_/index.html

Well it's not CL8 but it is 1600MHz, cheaper than the 4 sticks, from Ireland and free delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Why are you putting a last generation cpu into a supposedly cutting edge gaming machine? The new intel chips are amazing, pity about that motherboard recall. Once it's sorted get an i5-2500k.

phenom x6's last generation even tho there bulldozer cpu's arn't out yet?
    how does that make any sence?
    The phenom x6's are still AMD latest CPU's and only came out last year and the 1100T only came out a couple of months ago.
    Only because AMD don't release a new socket type for almost ever CPU they release dosn't mean there previous gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

phenom x6's last generation even tho there bulldozer cpu's arn't out yet?
    how does that make any sence?
    The phenom x6's are still AMD latest CPU's and only came out last year and the 1100T only came out a couple of months ago.
    Only because AMD don't release a new socket type for almost ever CPU they release dosn't mean there previous gen.
    and buying something that you 100% have to rma is a nightmare waiting to happen. no mobo for 2 weeks anyone?

all good and well having to wait, but for how long?? could be months.

think you quoted the wrong comment tea bag XD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

lol was just agreeing with what you said actually.

i think id like an X6 so i could call it sex cores instead of six.

my computer has sex cores, does yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SkrApsAK

Hi all,

The OP was actually posting on my behalf.....

Cheers to all who have made helpful suggestions :)

So at the moment from the best suggestions, I am to drop the dual 1gb cards and upgrade to a newer model 2GB card and get rid of the network card?

You reckon there would be much more worth upgrading then after?

I was thinking of keeping the 4 slots of RAM and was thinking of keeping the AMD but if there is better for the money with intel I would be willing to change....

And the previous poster who said the Antec case is a dust collector is exactly right, but it is a decent case so still undecided on that....

Also just to point out, I am looking to buy the whole build from Hardwareversand as I just want to have it running immediately when I get it rather than messing around with it myself as Im not great with building/upgrading myself.

any thoughts would be welcome lads....

Cheers

not got a phenom quad core litterally a month before the hex-cores hit the market so FML same story when I baught my Core 2 Quad a good while back and the 1155 cpu's were released along with the quad core i5's so again FML

if your still not sure on the case heres a vid of that lancool case i suggested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4XCT9yibwQ

comes with just as many fans as the 900 and even tho it is midi tower it's almost full tower in size
    BTW even tho it says it tooless I'd use screws to hold everything in you can't beat them in regards to sturdiness ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Obviously budget is not a major concern, but I would stick with 4GB of RAM and sink the extra 40+ cash into just about anything else TBH (GPU,CPU,SSD,Case,PSU etc), I just can't envisage any scenario where it would get used in a predominately gaming PC over the next few years.

not got a phenom quad core litterally a month before the hex-cores hit the market so FML same story when I baught my Core 2 Quad a good while back and the 1155 cpu's were released along with the quad core i5's so again FML

So you think I should wait then?

Dunno, Im kind of under pressure to get something very soon as my current setup is on its last legs.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Having 6 cores is useless for games, having a faster 4 core processor is better, and the new Intel Sandy Bridge annihilates the phenom x6.

That said, don't waste your money on core i7s, Hyper Threading is a load of bollox and will actually reduce performance. Best gaming CPU = i5-2500k. Graphics card still more important tho.

Here is benchmark showing i5-2400 vs phenom x6: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/11
    i5-2500 has slightly more performance and can be overclocked. If you are gonna spend the bucks on a top-notch gaming rig the choice of CPU is a no-brainer.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Having 6 cores is useless for games, having a faster 4 core processor is better, and the new Intel Sandy Bridge annihilates the phenom x6.

That said, don't waste your money on core i7s, Hyper Threading is a load of bollox and will actually reduce performance. Best gaming CPU = i5-2500k. Graphics card still more important tho.

Here is benchmark showing i5-2400 vs phenom x6: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/11
    i5-2500 has slightly more performance and can be overclocked. If you are gonna spend the bucks on a top-notch gaming rig the choice of CPU is a no-brainer.

Yup your definitely right regarding the i5.... cheers for the link!

So on the GFX card, on advice iv dropped the dual cards and have been looking at the following 2 cards, just little difference between the 2....

Any thoughts?

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41284&agid=1165&pcconfAddUri=pcconfigurator.jsp%3FpcConfigurator.vga.vga.0%3D41284%3A3007&pcconfBackUri=pcconfselect.jsp?pcConfigurator.catid=6&pcConfigurator.maid=0&search.sKey=&rp=1

or

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41503&agid=1165&pcconfAddUri=pcconfigurator.jsp%3FpcConfigurator.vga.vga.0%3D41503%3A3007&pcconfBackUri=pcconfselect.jsp?pcConfigurator.catid=6&pcConfigurator.maid=0&search.sKey=&rp=1

It is kind of putting me slightly over budget though..... but nevermind :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

srsly78 wrote: »

Graphically undemanding games like the first three just aren't GPU bound @1680 X1050 with no AA on so it doesn't really say anything about actual gaming performance on a high end rig, unless the difference between 100 and 150 fps bothers you greatly.

if your still not sure on the case heres a vid of that lancool case i suggested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4XCT9yibwQ

comes with just as many fans as the 900 and even tho it is midi tower it's almost full tower in size
    BTW even tho it says it tooless I'd use screws to hold everything in you can't beat them in regards to sturdiness ;)

Also, cheers for that m8,

Iv added the case in.... looks slick and defo not as much of a dust collector

seriously stay clear of sandybridge you'll regret it when you'll have to send the motherboard back so go with the phenom x6 or spend the extra cash and get a lga1366 i7 if your looking to buy something now and never look back :D

Putting the final touches on my build before ordering......

Any thoughts on the graphics cards I mentioned?

SkrApsAK wrote: »
    Putting the final touches on my build before ordering......

Any thoughts on the graphics cards I mentioned?

Much the same that I can see, I would go with the ASUS purely on the basis that XFXs european support is not great by all accounts.

cool thx man....

You think there are better cards on the market though for around the same money?

SkrApsAK wrote: »
    cool thx man....

You think there are better cards on the market though for around the same money?

Not really can't go wrong with what you have selected TBH. Although what I would suggest as a money saving possibility (if you will be gaming on a single monitor @ 1920 X 1200 or less) is the HD 6950 1GB version instead which works a fair bit cheaper at 199 (and is less expensive and quicker than the 1GB GT 560s on HWVS). At higher resolutions ( 2560 X 1600 or multi montor eyefinity) then the extra memory of the 2GB version would become more important.

If you look at the gaming benchmarks in this review the 1GB matches the 2GB fram for frame @ 1920X1200

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-vs-geforce-gtx-560-ti-review/1

• Advertisement

I will actually be running 2 x 24" monitors on HDMI.

So for that, do you think I would bet better off going with the XFX card just for the dual HDMI's rather than using a DVI converter on the ASUS?

Advertisement