Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topping up existing cavity insulation?

• 20-02-2011 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

My question is 'Is is possible to top up existing cavity wall insulation?'
    I've been told by a SEI registered installer that it isn't.

He said that he was familiar with the estate my house is in and knows that the houses are already cavity insulation but that it was done badly. That's why the houses are cold.

He told me that you can't top up over the existing insulation because as soon as the new fill meets any resistance with the existing fill it won't go any further and you end up paying a lot of money for something that won't be any better than what you started with.

He said that there are 'cowboys out there' that will claim to be able to do but that they would be 'lying' and that he didn't want to rip me off.

The thing is since I moved into this estate I've seen contractors cavity filling a couple of the houses and last week I'm pretty sure that one of those contractors was the same guy who told me he couldn't do my house. My house is semi-detached and this winter the rooms on the gable end were so hard to heat that I've abandoned them for the winter. I've effectively been only using half of my house since October. :(

Does any one have experience of this? I've checked my esb box and from what I can see the house has fibrewool type insulation ( the house was built around 1998).

Aside from the cost, I would be worried about damp issues if I went down the dry lining route.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

A few things do not add up here.
    Rock wool is pumped in after the building is finished so he could not know whether it was done or not. A trades man would know because he would recognise where the plaster was drilled. Houses that time were mostly built with polystyrene insulation in the cavity. This is the white beady stuff you see on new washing machines etc. Have another look in your meter box and poke with a knitting needle to see what is in there. Is the fibber wool yellow or brown???
    I would not advise putting anything into your cavity.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

I would not advise putting anything into your cavity.

Words to live by!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Build4less.ie

Other option if you want to insulate is use insulated plasterboards on the inside as opposed to trying to pump insulation.

Build4less.ie

Advertisement