Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules on last days of campaign

Options
  • 20-02-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

What are the rules about canvassing / leafleting on the day before and on the day of the election?

Are there any restrictions on door-to-door activities, or around polling stations?

Thanks very much!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭takun

DomPedroII wrote: »
    Hi all,

What are the rules about canvassing / leafleting on the day before and on the day of the election?

Are there any restrictions on door-to-door activities, or around polling stations?

Thanks very much!

Not allowed. Nor are interviews with media etc allowed. No ads in the papers either. There is effectively an embargo on election coverage.

In as much as you can ban it. I am not sure how or if that could possibly be implemented online - would a post to a facebook page or in a forum count for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DomPedroII

OK, so no traditional media (with obvious grey areas online).

Is there a definitive set of rules somewhere? Would love to know when canvassing must end.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭takun

I looked this up and apparently there has been a change, and now the moratorium on media coverage starts at 2pm the day before the election. It was changed in January.

http://www.thejournal.ie/broadcasting-authority-revises-election-moratorium-rules-2011-1/

A PDF on the issue from the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland is here: http://www.bai.ie/pdfs/201101_electioncode_guidance_english.pdf

It does strike me that with the number of people online now at a fairly high level, there are likely to be some 'facts' emerging in the last 24 hours or so, when it will be too late for anyone to refute them in the mainstream media.

Would any party stoop that low? (rhetorical question)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭county man

takun wrote: »
    I looked this up and apparently there has been a change, and now the moratorium on media coverage starts at 2pm the day before the election. It was changed in January.

http://www.thejournal.ie/broadcasting-authority-revises-election-moratorium-rules-2011-1/

A PDF on the issue from the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland is here: http://www.bai.ie/pdfs/201101_electioncode_guidance_english.pdf

It does strike me that with the number of people online now at a fairly high level, there are likely to be some 'facts' emerging in the last 24 hours or so, when it will be too late for anyone to refute them in the mainstream media.

Would any party stoop that low? (rhetorical question)

Dont know about any main parties but I can think of some independents who would do that.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭county man

DomPedroII wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks very much!

I can remember a time when canvassing was allowed right up to the time the polling stations closed.People would have leaflets pushed onto them outside the door of the polling station and sometimes even inside.Thank God all that has been banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Mugel

Does the Canvassing ban include Social media, if so Labour's Pamela Kearns has posted items on Facebook canvassing for votes and outlining her plans for her area if elected

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mugel

Does the Canvassing ban include Social media, if so a candidate in the South Dublin Byelection has posted items on Facebook canvassing for votes and outlining plans for the
    area if elected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I am not aware of any ban on canvassing, except for the rules regarding the immediate vicinity of polling stations. There is a media ban but it relates to radio and television only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Mugel wrote: »
    Does the Canvassing ban include Social media, if so Labour's Pamela Kearns has posted items on Facebook canvassing for votes and outlining her plans for her area if elected

SF's Martin Kenny has a poster up on martinkennyforroscommonleitrim from an hour ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

FF had their cronies out in Roscommon this morning with banners.

idiots

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    FF had their cronies out in Roscommon this morning with banners.

idiots

That is allowed. It is a media ban, not a flags ban:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Flegs

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Theres no ban on canvassing the day before an election or on an election day. There is a ban on canvassing outside polling stations.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement