Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for ensuite

• 20-02-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi,

We had the ensuite tiled about 12 months ago. Tiler said to tile over vent hole in wall as it would look better, probably did but even though we open windows after showers black mould has started on the ceiling right against the exterior wall.

What is the best way to break through the tile in order to put the vent back in place, or is there an alternative solution?
    Thanks all,
    ShellyB :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

C Eng wrote: »
    PM sent

Why would you PM an answer to someone instead of posting it here so others can read it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Do you know exactly where the vent was located.

Drill a small hole in the grout line over the hole to test. Then successivly drill larger holes. When the hole is about 3" across you should get a tile nippers in to nipp away at the tile bringing it back.

Be careful not to be tempted to whack the area with a hammer. What will happen is you will cause the tile to stress and push in at the hole but pop out at the other end. Where it pops out it will most likely cause the plaster to pop out thus taking the tile beside it.

Alternativly you can connect a ceiling fan to the ceiling and run it out through the soffit board in the attic.

However drilling the holes works out cheapest...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

Thanks again as always for the great advice! :)

I have the measurements of where the hole is so should be easy enough then, the vent hole is on an exterior wall

Might look into the extractor when the $$$$ permits

shellyb73 wrote: »
    Thanks again as always for the great advice! :)

I have the measurements of where the hole is so should be easy enough then, the vent hole is on an exterior wall

Might look into the extractor when the $$$$ permits

An extractor is not dear, Get one with a hydrostat on it. It only comes on if it detects moisture so wont come on if your haveing a wee.

Outside that buy one with a timer so it stays on for a while afterwords.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 underblenge

Stop ! Stop! There is a better option to breaking the tiles.

We recently got a complete revamp of our old ensuite done. We only had an Air Vent in the wall and wanted an Extractor Fan instead. The Electrician turned up with a Small White Round Extractor fan and advised us he would put it in the ceiling, up in the the corner of the room. It had a funnel which he ran along the attic.He cut a small hole is the Facia Board under the overhang and it extracts out through a mesh provided with the unit. He hooked it up to the light switch, with one switch for the light and one for the fan. It is very neat and is almost un-noticeable.

Because we had no window in the ensuite (and it was on an outside wall) we put in a Galss Block in where the previous vent was. It is amazing the difference in light in the room now, even with that Glass Block.

You should consider this. Believe me. It is surprisingly cheap and your Tiled wall stays intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Alternativly you can connect a ceiling fan to the ceiling and run it out through the soffit board in the attic.

However drilling the holes works out cheapest...
    An extractor is not dear.

If your tiler sealed up the vent before tiling over it, i.e. did a proper job with insulation,etc. You miscalculate where it actually is and you're not handy with breaking out the tile or tiles. You could end up looking for a vent to cover a big hole.

I would wait and install a ceiling fan as Joey states they are not mad expensive and would be the proper job in the long run. You say at the moment you leave the window open well a vent is no different as even when vented steam will not rush out but still cause mildew when it pools and condenses on walls and ceilings whereas the fan will remove it.

I would also double check the insulation in the ceiling void (if you can get at it) as it may be raised or there may be a gap which is letting cold air cool the ceiling and causing the steam to condense there.

Stop ! Stop! There is a better option to breaking the tiles.

We recently got a complete revamp of our old ensuite done. We only had an Air Vent in the wall and wanted an Extractor Fan instead. The Electrician turned up with a Small White Round Extractor fan and advised us he would put it in the ceiling, up in the the corner of the room. It had a funnel which he ran along the attic.He cut a small hole is the Facia Board under the overhang and it extracts out through a mesh provided with the unit. He hooked it up to the light switch, with one switch for the light and one for the fan. It is very neat and is almost un-noticeable.

Because we had no window in the ensuite (and it was on an outside wall) we put in a Galss Block in where the previous vent was. It is amazing the difference in light in the room now, even with that Glass Block.

You should consider this. Believe me. It is surprisingly cheap and your Tiled wall stays intact.

You must of missed that part where i said thats an option. post no 4 above. It would work out cheaper with the drill and the nippers however if this is not a prefered option then i would go with through the soffit board.

Thanks again, I would prefer not to break the tiles if Im honest, these electric vents how easy / difficult are they to hook up?

Hope this isnt a dumb suggestion but could I just drill the holes, not break out the tile and put the vent cover on the holes just drilled?

Tiler just put a tile over the hole I think no insulation.

Thanks again, I would prefer not to break the tiles if Im honest, these electric vents how easy / difficult are they to hook up?

Hope this isnt a dumb suggestion but could I just drill the holes, not break out the tile and put the vent cover on the holes just drilled?

Tiler just put a tile over the hole I think no insulation.

Yes you can but you will not be getting enough draught through.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ceiling extractor fan,with the fan motor in the attic/ceiling joists and ducted out to the facia/soffit of the roof.

Job done.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Ceiling extractor fan,with the fan motor in the attic/ceiling joists and ducted out to the facia/soffit of the roof.

Big Job? Expensive? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

paddy147 wrote: »

Taking a camera in when having a shower optional :D

Antiquo wrote: »
    Taking a camera in when having a shower optional :D

Indeed.;):D

All joking aside though,pic was taken for another theread to do with waterfall style showers in an ensuite.;)

Big Job? Expensive? :)

60-70 euro for the fan kit,and then just drill a hole through the ceiling/plasterboard above,fit the fan,hook it up to the bathroom lights and then duct it out through the attic to the soffit/facia of the attic/roof .

Simple and straight forward enough.:)

150-200 euro all in (including a sparks time and labour) and you would have it done.

Advertisement