Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your current World XI

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if you can get hit enough balls off the opposition to get some throw ins and corners...you'll be damn difficult to beat, i'll give you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Stekelenburg

Ivanovic
    Mertesacker
    Zat Knight
    Naldo

Delap
    Fellaini
    Fazio
    Ronaldo

Crouch
    Zigic

Quite simply unbeatable. Who'll take me on?

A team with small tricky fast lads [i.e. Walcott/Messi/Nani] would tear you a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Case could be made for throwing Vidic in the Delap team, maybe ahead of Crouch. He's not as tall, but he'll just launch his head at any ball in, and he's dangerous with the ball at his feet in the box too.

I'm not going to challenge that team.

I'll have a go at the normal team though:

Iker

Lahm---Vidic---Carvalho---Marcelo

Busquets---Xavi

---Nani---Messi---Ronaldo---

Berbatov

I think Berba would suit that team, both Messi and Ronaldo would link up very well with him, he'd be more of a creator than a scorer. Marcelo seems to work very well with Ronaldo, and he's not as bad of a defender as he's made out to be, has great pace, and excellent with the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

that japanese left back in serie a is meant to be quality

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Casillas

Ivanovic
    Carvalho
    Vidic
    Cole

Xavi
    Essien

---Ronaldo
    Sneijder
    Messi

Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Case could be made for throwing Vidic in the Delap team, maybe ahead of Crouch. He's not as tall, but he'll just launch his head at any ball in, and he's dangerous with the ball at his feet in the box too.

I'm not going to challenge that team.

I'll have a go at the normal team though:

Iker

Lahm---Vidic---Carvalho---Marcelo

Busquets---Xavi

---Nani---Messi---Ronaldo---

Berbatov

I think Berba would suit that team, both Messi and Ronaldo would link up very well with him, he'd be more of a creator than a scorer. Marcelo seems to work very well with Ronaldo, and he's not as bad of a defender as he's made out to be, has great pace, and excellent with the ball.

I think a team with Messi and Ronaldo would not play in a style suited to Berbatov. United this season are playing to suit his strengths, a slightly more deliberate style than in previous seasons. Better off with with a mobile front man and adding another midfielder instead of Nani. You could also play a front 3 of Nani, Messi and Ronaldo like when Barca play Villa on the left and Pedro on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Buffon

Salgado
    Nesta
    Maldini
    R.Carlos

Makelele

Figo
    Zidane
    Ronaldinho

Henry
    Ronaldo

Hmm, those were the days:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Buffon

Salgado
    Nesta
    Maldini
    R.Carlos

Makelele

Figo
    Zidane
    Ronaldinho

Henry

Hmm, those were the days:(

Ah brings me back alright, wish they still played with ten men

the game is gone to hell :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Ah brings me back alright, wish they still played with ten men

the game is gone to hell :p

Yeah, remember Zidane was counted as two players because he was so good.

Doubt we'll ever see the like again:(

Just kidding, forgot to put in Ronnie9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

John O' Shea

Gary Breen
    Gary Breen
    Gary Breen
    Gary Breen

Garry Breen
    Gary Breen
    Gary Breen

Garry Breen
    Gary Breen

Gary Breen

SUBS: Gary Breen, Gary Breen, Gary Breen, Gary Breen, Gary Breen, Gary Breen, Garry Breen.

Unbeatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Casillas

Lahm
    Vidic
    Kompany
    Cole

Xavi
    Schweinsteiger
    Iniesta

--- Ronaldo
    Tevez
    Messi ---

That is actually the team I'd pick without adhering to the 3 per team rule also.

think id go with this team as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

SlickRic wrote: »
    has Antonini been particularly good for AC? i don't know.

He's fairly "meh", he's not a bad player, would be an excellent second choice but he's not really good enough to be playing for Milan's first team. That's our weakest position by far. We only have him and Jankulovski, maybe Emanuelson, who can play there, Zambrotta as a last resort, but none of them are world beaters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

CorkMan wrote: »

John O' Shea

Gary Breen
    Gary Breen
    Gary Breen
    Gary Breen

Garry Breen
    Gary Breen
    Gary Breen

Garry Breen
    Gary Breen

Gary Breen

SUBS: Gary Breen, Gary Breen, Gary Breen, Gary Breen, Gary Breen, Gary Breen, Garry Breen.

Unbeatable.

I'd have Gary Breen in Goal myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Why are so many people picking Essien when the OP says it's based on current form? His very poor form by his usual standards is just one of the few reasons Chelsea are off the pace. Cracking player, but in form? Not a chance.

Same with Casillas. He's currently suspended for a straight red card yet makes most peoples teams. In the last two years he's not even the best keeper in Spain realistically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm a Barca fan, but I hope your next comment wasn't going to be that "Valdez" is ?

He has such a great record, because teams don't get the chance to shoot on him that often. He is a very good keeper playing in an amazing team.

i think valdez shows hes top class, its the sign of a top keeper to play in a team that doesn't have to do much but does well when called upon(ok arsenal match was the opposite of this as he had a mare for the van persie goal) any keeper can look class pulling off save after save(casilias most overrated goalie ever)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

partyndbs wrote: »
    i think valdez shows hes top class, its the sign of a top keeper to play in a team that doesn't have to do much but does well when called upon(ok arsenal match was the opposite of this as he had a mare for the van persie goal) any keeper can look class pulling off save after save(casilias most overrated goalie ever)

On this basis, VDS is the best in the world, by far. (He's not, but he's definitely in the top 5. For me he's just behind Iker and Buffon.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Casillas is very talented but he is no way the best goalkeeper in the world on current form.

In Spain alone, I'd have Valdes, De Gea and Cesar Sanchez ahead of him. Maybe even Diego Lopez.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Gonna go for an all South American line-up.

Chilavuret

Cafu---Ayala----Aldair---Serginho

Redondo

Juninho
    Almeyda---

Riquelme

Luis Garcia
    Salas

thats the little Mexican Garcia from the 94 world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Neuer
    Alves--Vidic--Ferdinand--Lahm
    Schweinsteiger

Xavi
    Iniesta
    Nani
    Messi
    Ronaldo

Top 3 is a bit quare looking maybe, but I couldn't leave any of the top 5 out, tbh.
    Ferdinand and Vidic working perfectly together is why I picked them.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Casillas is very talented but he is no way the best goalkeeper in the world on current form.

In Spain alone, I'd have Valdes, De Gea and Cesar Sanchez ahead of him. Maybe even Diego Lopez.

yeah i love iker i grew up with him my first football jersey was the madrid one from the year he played in champions league but he is very overrated i think. particulary about 4/5 yrs ago his command of the box/communication/understanding with defence was awful and he really has to be partially at fault(like given at newcastle) for the disaster of madrids defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

partyndbs wrote: »
    yeah i love iker i grew up with him my first football jersey was the madrid one from the year he played in champions league but he is very overrated i think. particulary about 4/5 yrs ago his command of the box/communication/understanding with defence was awful and he really has to be partially at fault(like given at newcastle) for the disaster of madrids defence

Newcastle would have been relegated before 2009 without Shay Given IMO. He was a fantastic goalkeeper in his time there and his performances won them an insane amount of points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Well what about this 'on form' thing? Surely one would have Mario Gomez in there right? Me personally I wouldn't want him mentioned in any sentence with the word 'world' in it but if van Persies run qualifies him for a world 11 then Mario should be in based on his?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

baz2009 wrote: »
    Ferdinand and Vidic working perfectly together is why I picked them.

Surrrreeeee it is. And Nani best RMF in the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

gosplan wrote: »
    Surrrreeeee it is. And Nani best RMF in the world?

On curent form he is. He's been on fire since January of last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Valdes
    Alves--Vidic--Carvalho--Baines
    Alonso

VDVaart
    Xavi
    Ronaldo
    Messi
    Tevez

This is based on the Spanish and English leagues, because this year I haven't been able to follow the German, Dutch or Italian leagues unfortunately.

I wasn't sure who to have between Xavi and Iniesta, went for Xavi because I prefer* him. I had to put Alonso in, without him in the starting 11 Madrid are a different (much worse) team and imo he is the most important player along with Ronaldo.

VDV is in there because, as a Spurs fan he has been mesmerizing although it was tough not being able to find room for Nasri who has been top class as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't mean to knock other people's suggestions as it's an entirely subjective question but I think you have to either go by current form or not.

A Man U fan could aruge that on current form Nani is the best RMF in the world. An Arsenal fan would argue for Nasri. I think it's quite obvious to anyone without too many prejudeces that on current form
    (or any form) the greatest wide men in the world are Messi and Ronaldo and then you have to put a striker like David Villa in your team.

Also Ferdinand is at only 15 league games this year with 6 clean sheets so on current form he's definatly out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

It is a tough choice between Tevez and Villa tbh. My team is dominated by Barcelona players, yet the last 2 games they have been kinda sloppy, I couldn't keep it with 7 Barca players (not based on Bilbao and Gijon!)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i should've seen the team of Gary Breen's coming.

facepalm.jpg

i'd like to make posting it up a bannable offence.

i'm going to work on getting it in the charter.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I don't mean to knock other people's suggestions as it's an entirely subjective question but I think you have to either go by current form or not.

A Man U fan could aruge that on current form Nani is the best RMF in the world. An Arsenal fan would argue for Nasri. I think it's quite obvious to anyone without too many prejudeces that on current form
    (or any form) the greatest wide men in the world are Messi and Ronaldo and then you have to put a striker like David Villa in your team.

Also Ferdinand is at only 15 league games this year with 6 clean sheets so on current form he's definatly out.

Nani can't be left out of an on-form 11, imo. He has been unbelievable in the last 10 or 11 months, particularly since September.

Ferdinand has been very good this season, imo and I haven't seen enough of Inter or Madrid or Barca's defences to put someone else in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Cesar

Maicon--Pique-Terry-Abidal

Schweinsteiger

Fabregas----Iniesta----

Mesi
    Ronaldo

Van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd rather have Ronaldo playing through the center than any striker on the planet, he's not exactly a wide man.
    Lukker- wrote: »

Cesar

Maicon--Pique-Terry-Abidal

Schweinsteiger

Fabregas----Iniesta----

Mesi
    Ronaldo

Van Persie

Switch in Xavi for Iniesta and get a new back 5 and you may be onto something :)

Liam O wrote: »

Switch in Xavi for Iniesta and get a new back 5 and you may be onto something :)

Couldn't settle on a RB tbh, no 1 outstanding candidate this season.

I picked the 2 CB's based on the 2 best defenses in the 2 toughest leagues and Contrao would have been a shout at LB but I don't see enough of the Portugese league and Lahm hasn't really done it for me this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lukker- wrote: »
    Couldn't settle on a RB tbh, no 1 outstanding candidate this season.

I picked the 2 CB's based on the 2 best defenses in the 2 toughest leagues and Contrao would have been a shout at LB but I don't see enough of the Portugese league and Lahm hasn't really done it for me this season.
    Em, aren't you overlooking Evra and Cole a bit at LB? I'd have Vidic every day over Terry and Pique is a good ball playing defender but isn't the best at well...defending. Lahm as an all rounder at RB and Alves for a more attacking option are much better options than Maicon.

Liam O wrote: »
    Em, aren't you overlooking Evra and Cole a bit at LB? I'd have Vidic every day over Terry and Pique is a good ball playing defender but isn't the best at well...defending. Lahm as an all rounder at RB and Alves for a more attacking option are much better options than Maicon.

Evra and Cole have been relatively poor this season given their generally high standards, don't rate Alves at all he's a total liability at the back and has a shocking temperment. Lahm is a natural RB, but he doesn't always play there and hasn't performed great this season. Vidic over Terry fair enough thats your decision, but IMO Ferdinand is far better than Vidic. Terry gets alot of stick, but 5 years in a row on the FIFpro world XI, for a player that never had pace and has struggled with crippling back injuries you won't find another player who gives as much as him.

Advertisement