Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Essay...

Options
  • 20-02-2011 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I took an English module as my elective this semester. Best choice of a bad bunch sort of deal.

I haven't written an essay in over a year, never mind one for third level.

I've read through the guidelines for writing and submission, and have a fair idea about what to do re: citations and general layout.

I've got it all planned out, ready to go, but sh1tting a fairly hefty brick. I don't want this to go tits up, and its due in tomorrow.

Anyone got any tips for writing a good solid essay. I'm not looking for full marks, just good marks.

Its a poetry essay, about genre and its constraints on free poetic composition.

I'm looking for ideas just about how to open an essay properly, and how many sufficient points need to be made...

Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One piece of advice I would offer is: be organized. Assuming you're writing in Word, use Outline Mode to set up sections and subsections, know what needs to go in which section, and write the rest. You can use "Quick Styles" to change the look of the whole document in two seconds - and that works best if you use Styles all the way: Title, Subtitle, Heading 1, Heading 2, and so on.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Just make sure to have an intro, main body and conclusion. Each point has its own paragraph, and each paragraph should lead logically to the next. Also, go easy on the quotes - it's frowned upon to have 50% quote 50% actual content :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

YouthNovel wrote: »
    . I don't want this to go tits up, and its due in tomorrow.

Fail to plan, plan to fail. That's an utterly contradictory sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

Cheers for the help there ironclaw, would be lost without ya.

Only had a chance to sit down and write it today for personal reasons, had the plan written up bout week and a half ago, just was hoping for a bit of help from someone who had a better understanding than I did.

How and ever, leading nicely on to my next point, cheers guys for the advice offered, I'm fairly pleased with the end result, not bad for my first proper English essay in about a year.

Advertisement