Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post of the day.

Options
  • 20-02-2011 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hello feedback people.

Is it just me or is Post of the day gone to the dogs of late. It was normally a funny quote from A/H from one of our in house comedians or from M.T Cranium during the snow.

Here is todays post of the day. In all fairness why would you thank this???
    http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/fixitwithlego.jpg

Why is this thread getting post of the day everyday?? Maybe I should post a picture of a wall or a cartoon and get post of the day. I know you will say it is the amount of thanks the post gets but I think it is silly..

Does any of you agree with me???
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Jimmy the Wheel

It does seem a little unfair to our homegrown talent that the best internet meme of the day can lay claim to the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think that's quite a funny picture.

I don't really pay attention to Post of the Day so it does not bother me.

But is the point of Post of the Day not a bit silly any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Larianne wrote: »
    I think that's quite a funny picture.

I don't really pay attention to Post of the Day so it does not bother me.

But is the point of Post of the Day not a bit silly any way?

Whats funny about it or have I lost my sence of humour???

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Whats funny about it or have I lost my sence of humour???

They didn't have any bricks and mortar to fix the wonky wall so they used Lego instead. Did a pretty good job of it too!

People find humour in different things. Not everybody agrees on what is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

How often do we have to have this thread?

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    How often do we have to have this thread?

Make it a sticky?

Larianne wrote: »
    They didn't have any bricks and mortar to fix the wonky wall so they used Lego instead. Did a pretty good job of it too!

People find humour in different things. Not everybody agrees on what is funny.

Oh right. Sorry I am a bit slow on the uptake today...

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Tis funnier than the usual angry man dog****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I do find it a little disheartening that an original post can get ignored in favour of something pulled from the front page of reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

At least the feckin "it's cold" weather updates aren't getting it any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Months ago the POTD would be a really well argued point, something interesting, or an excellent pig head style riposte.

Now its some funny pic, from the same thread, annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Try using the Thanks filter on the main page, that way you can see a range of good posts from all over the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Xavi6 wrote: »
    At least the feckin "it's cold" weather updates aren't getting it any more.

Jaysus, MT's posts have slightly more value than that!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Months ago the POTD would be a really well argued point, something interesting, or an excellent pig head style riposte.

Most of them are from peoples face book page..

MEH....

K-9 wrote: »
    Jaysus, MT's posts have slightly more value than that!

Its ok for that poster to say that because he lives in OZ. I found M.T`S posts very helpful like yourself..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

Actually, that reminds me of something I meant to say a while back.

There's a Humour Forum on boards.ie. I doubt very many people use it any more, but I'm open to correction on that. There should be dedicated Forever Alone/Dog Fort/Socially Inept Penguin/Epic Fail/F*ck Yeah/LOLcats/Sad Keanu/etc threads for each of those pictures in that forum. Instead, it's is turning into a ghost town so that the most attractive mega-thread in another forum can prosper.

I don't mind them getting post of the day though. I just disagree with where they're all being posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Aldebaran wrote: »
    Try using the Thanks filter on the main page, that way you can see a range of good posts from all over the site.
    This is the best piece of advice you're going to get on this. There's no way you can come up with some formula for POTD that excludes certain threads and not others based on personal taste. If you don't like YLYL then just filter on the front page and the post with the highest thanks count not from that thread is your Post of the Day.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    This is the best piece of advice you're going to get on this. There's no way you can come up with some formula for POTD that excludes certain threads and not others based on personal taste. If you don't like YLYL then just filter on the front page and the post with the highest thanks count not from that thread is your Post of the Day.

I see your point allright. I still cannot understand how those silly pics get so much thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I see your point allright. I still cannot understand how those silly pics get so much thanks...

The You Laugh, You Lose thread is really popular so it's not a big surprise that posts from there get POTD so just because you don't find it funny doesn't mean everyone else doesn't either.

I actually found before that the POTD mightn't make any sense when read on it's own and would require reading the thread it came from and that thread could come from a forum i've no interest in. At least if it's from the YLYL thread it's something you can get without needing to read through a thread to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

This has been brought up a few times. Started a thread about it myself. The site appears unable to do anything about it.

I've put it in my signature but probably not likely to change much unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This has been brought up a few times. Started a thread about it myself. The site appears unable to do anything about it.

I've put it in my signature but probably not likely to change much unfortunately

Why is Post of the Day so important? Why not just use the Thanks filter as has been suggested?

Don't ''thank'' posts on ''You Laugh You Lose" - it is ruining "Post of the Day"!
    Seriously? Is it that important to you? I mean no disrespect here but that just seems to be a little pathetic to be brutally honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Seriously? Is it that important to you? I mean no disrespect here but that just seems to be a little pathetic to be brutally honest.

He posted a picture in the thread yesterday and got a heap of thanks for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I noticed that as well. Why post in the thread if he was complaining about it here?

Was this the picture, by any chance?

129210855246561974.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I noticed that as well. Why post in the thread if he was complaining about it here?

Dunno, but I found it funny.

tbh though, I don't think he is complaining about the thread itself.. just the fact that it has pretty much monopolised the POTD feature. I can kind of see his point. It'd be cool if users had he choice to exclude forums/threads from showing up as the source of POTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dunno, but I found it funny.

tbh though, I don't think he is complaining about the thread itself.. just the fact that it has pretty much monopolised the POTD feature. I can kind of see his point. It'd be cool if users had he choice to exclude forums/threads from showing up as the source of POTD.

IIRC, people used to complain about the Photography forum getting POTD a lot.

Unless there is a work around for it, the trending function is there for people who want it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I like the thread and scroll through it every day but I just also used to like reading 'post of the day' because it was usually interesting or funny in an original way (whereas you laugh you lose its just taken from another site)

By posting on the thread I thought people will see the sig and maybe think twice before thanking posts on it.

I'm pretty suspicious a lot of the people thanking that pic were doing it because of the signature! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Simple solutions tbh...

People need to be funnier

Others need to be thought that humour is subjective

And pighead needs to start posting more

Also, I laughed and lost at your signature....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Jimmy the Wheel

Tallon wrote: »
    Simple solutions tbh...

People need to be funnier

Others need to be thought that humour is subjective

But it's kind of hard. It's Ireland vs the rest of the world.

It's nice for regular posters to be able to take pride in their work with an honorific, if temporal, title, if you're that way inclined.

I'm only sore because I lost out to Sanjuro's YLYL post a week back (albeit, his own creation). :(

Advertisement