Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post of the day.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'm not sure I get what you're trying to say

I love Irish grown, talented posts like Sanjuro's, but they're rare

I think jokes like his are still understood by non-irish people

Again, people just need to have an open mind about humour and not get píssy when they see something that a lot of other people find humour in when they don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Jimmy the Wheel

Tallon wrote: »
    I'm not sure I get what you're trying to say

I love Irish grown, talented posts like Sanjuro's, but they're rare

I think jokes like his are still understood by non-irish people

Again, people just need to have an open mind about humour and not get píssy when they see something that a lot of other people find humour in when they don't

Sorry if i was a little unclear.

I meant it could be a source of pride for a poster to 'acheive' post of the day, a badger of honour if you will. (of course many people won't care, as evinced by some of the replies here)

But with YLYL people are having to compete against the best daily internet meme the world has to offer, so the competition is a little stiff.

And I meant no disprespect to Sanjuro's fine efforts.

Very true, a lot of people really appreciate POTD and are humble to get it. Almost like a 1,000 post etc

If people don't 'get it' there's no need to be upset over it and let them have their 15 mins 24 hours of fame :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Sorry if a little bit off topic here, but I've no idea where the "post of the day is".

Now I've figured out what it is as it sounds self-explanatory, but I've no idea where it is.....

Anybody point me in this direction, ta :)

Col200sx wrote: »
    Sorry if a little bit off topic here, but I've no idea where the "post of the day is".

Now I've figured out what it is as it sounds self-explanatory, but I've no idea where it is.....

Anybody point me in this direction, ta :)
    Hover over boards in the top left of the page and you can get a few stats like

POTD
    TOTD
    New forums
    Top threads / posters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Hover over boards in the top left of the page and you can get a few stats like

POTD
    TOTD
    New forums
    Top threads / posters

Thanks Tallon :)

Just checked, been a user since 15-03-2009, and never knew that :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Actually the Thread of the day one seems more pointless. The current TOTD is one poster asking for a rep to contact him.

Actually the Thread of the day one seems more pointless. The current TOTD is one poster asking for a rep to contact him.
    You must be using the default skin, have you a link to that thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

You must be using the default skin, have you a link to that thread?

It's this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70831374#post70831374

I have the blue skin though not the default one.

POTD is random

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Seriously? Is it that important to you? I mean no disrespect here but that just seems to be a little pathetic to be brutally honest.

Lol. It took five seconds to change my signature not like I climbed mount everest over it.

Some would argue paying money to add a bit of text to your profile on boards is a little pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Simple solution, remove the thanks button from the you laugh You lose thread then things will go back the way they were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Simple solution, remove the thanks button from the you laugh You lose thread then things will go back the way they were

Thanks can only be removed/applied at a forum level, currently it can't be done at a thread level

That aside I still haven't seen a good enough explanation as to why You laugh, You Lose should be excluded

Post of the day works on the basis of the most thanked post, if people want to put airs and graces onto what should or shouldn't be post of the day then fair enough but the system doesn't care, nor should it

If the post of the day was some expletitive filled rant from the Thunderdome (if thanks applied there) that offends nearly everyone then it matters not a jot, it should be post of the day by virtue of getting the most thanks

Maybe the solution is to change the name from post of the day to most thanked post today as that seems to be the sticking point for people

I am not sure how you should measure the quaility of a post without using thanks and I don't think certain threads should be excluded

Thanks can only be removed/applied at a forum level, currently it can't be done at a thread level

That aside I still haven't seen a good enough explanation as to why You laugh, You Lose should be excluded

Post of the day works on the basis of the most thanked post, if people want to put airs and graces onto what should or shouldn't be post of the day then fair enough but the system doesn't care, nor should it

If the post of the day was some expletitive filled rant from the Thunderdome (if thanks applied there) that offends nearly everyone then it matters not a jot, it should be post of the day by virtue of getting the most thanks

Maybe the solution is to change the name from post of the day to most thanked post today as that seems to be the sticking point for people

I am not sure how you should measure the quaility of a post without using thanks and I don't think certain threads should be excluded

Main reason being that its a very popular thread, I check it myself daily, therefore a post from it being POTD makes POTD alot less significant than it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's not really a massive issue in my view, but wouldn't it be possible to exclude the thread from being eligible for POTD rather than disallowing thanks in it completely?

Main reason being that its a very popular thread, I check it myself daily, therefore a post from it being POTD makes POTD alot less significant than it was before.

I don't see how it's popularity devalues post of the day. It is popular because it is funny or interesting most of the time

I dunno I don't think I will find a satisfactory reason to exclude it

Maybe changing the post of the day link to direct to the thanks filter would keep everyone happy

It's not really a massive issue in my view, but wouldn't it be possible to exclude the thread from being eligible for POTD rather than disallowing thanks in it completely?

Well it is an issue for a significant number of people as these threads keep cropping up

It would be possible to exclude it but I don't think that is fair

I think the suggestion in my previous post is probably the fairest solution

Don't rename it

The post of the day is the post with the most thanks, simples

There was loads of threads when MT cranium got them, and that has faded

I remember a time when POTD was all about the Random Photo Thread... Bring back those days!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Some would argue paying money to add a bit of text to your profile on boards is a little pathetic
    And they'd probably be right... if that was the only reason for subscribing.

Why not have a post of the day and a funny pic of the day, keep everyone happy

• Advertisement

Why not have a post of the day and a funny pic of the day, keep everyone happy
    How would that work?

How would that work?

Exclude the thanks given in you laugh you lose (maybe even exclude the full cool vids. forum) from the post of the day and make a new Funny Post of the Day, it being the daily most thanked post in YLYL (or full forum)

That sounds like a lot of work... and unnecessary

That sounds like a lot of work... and unnecessary

Some of us feel that POTD has become meaningless since that thread started getting popular, these threads keep coming up

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Some of us feel that POTD has become meaningless since that thread started getting popular, these threads keep coming up

These exact same arguments were being made when the Photography Forum kept getting POTD.

And again when it was always a funny line from After Hours.

And then the same thing happened when it was M.T. Cranium giving weather reports.

I reckon you'll find just as many pointless whinges once the next thanks-worthy trend rolls around.

That doesn't make it any less hard work or a necessary thing to do

Also, what Insect Overlord said...

Advertisement