Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just moved into apartment - TV licence inspector

Options
  • 20-02-2011 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I just moved into a new apartment 2 weeks ago and im just getting settled and im a bit low on funds at present, I got this card in the door the otherday when I got back from work stating that the inspector couldnt get access today and my apartment is not regestered for a tv licence, I mean seriously im not in the door a wet week, im fully prerpared to pay for this lcience but I cant afford it till next month but they want me to take one out in the next 5 working days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

ring them up and explain your situation. They may give you an extention(not basing this on experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

I had a guy call into me the day after I moved in once! Usually happens so quickly when previous tenant transferred theirs from the address. To be honest, without having your name there's very little they can do. Put it off until you can afford it and don't answer the door in the interim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They'll get your name from the post. Postman tallies licence list against list of who gets post and flags accordingly.

Never happened to us, we were 18 months without it with inspector calling every few weeks. Have one now though. Not advocating not getting one, we simply couldn't afford it at the time.

Didn't happen to me too in a few apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Did you sign up with UPC when you moved in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The best way to avoid is never get on the system in the first place.
    If the inspector has your name, not a lot you can do now

Don't worry about buying one immediately, the letters will continue for another two months or so.

Eventually, you get a registered letter with a summons, happened to me, fully deserved :(

So get the licence in a few weeks when you have the funds. Don't stress yourself over it and this 5 working day section
    Lots of people get paid monthly at the end of the month. If you wait until end of March you should be fine

I signed up with UPC after a while, inspector still didn't get my name.

Did you sign up with UPC when you moved in?

Didn't exist back in those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

tricky D wrote: »
    They'll get your name from the post. Postman tallies licence list against list of who gets post and flags accordingly.

I don't think you're fully right. That might be true with homeowners or people who are in a house long term. For rental accommodation, post is just delivered to the address, no matter who is living there. I don't believe there is any list of who gets post at the address.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

Pay by direct debit, 13 euro or thereabouts a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

ive never got a TV Licence...watch all worldwide TV channels via the internet on a computer screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 binhthanh

djmcr wrote: »

Hi,

My telly licence is about to expire. However, I am leaving the country in 3 months. What should I do with the new licence? Do I have to pay it in full (i.e. for the whole year)?

Please advise and thank you in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

ive never got a TV Licence...watch all worldwide TV channels via the internet on a computer screen

Until Fine Gael get in. :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056182283

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I get to watch RTE iplayer for Free ;)

I think TV via the internet is still the way to go...as technically a Computer screen is not the same as a TV and its not picking up the same signals. That in my opinion is a way around tv licence at least for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

djmcr wrote: »

OP,

No excuse really for lack of funds, just moved in, etc. when you can pay like this. Direct Debit form available on tvlicense.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Baralis1 wrote: »
    I don't think you're fully right. That might be true with homeowners or people who are in a house long term. For rental accommodation, post is just delivered to the address, no matter who is living there. I don't believe there is any list of who gets post at the address.

You're correct. I still get post addressed to least 5 other people who used to live in my rental apt before I moved in. An inspector needs a valid name before any prosecution can be brought, a letter addressed to 'the occupier' is not good enough.

tricky D wrote: »

Is this true? can you point me to where I would get further info this?

My apartment was bought 5 years ago and has never had a television license, nor has one ever been sought!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

it happened to me :rolleyes:

i was moving my stuff into the house when the TV inspector called. the previous owners had a licence but it had expired a few months before i bought the house.

the man was sound, as he could see i was just moving in and gave me month to get settle in and get the licence but my address is in the system so have to get one every year now.

typical the fecker is due the same week my house insurance is due :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

if they havent got your name there is f'all they can do. Once your on the system they have you and can send out summons or whatever.

Stay off the system, dont answer the door to strangers. They send out threatening letters addressed to 'the resident' all bully boy tactics tbh.

• Advertisement

Baralis1 wrote: »
    gurramok wrote: »
    You're correct. I still get post addressed to least 5 other people who used to live in my rental apt before I moved in. An inspector needs a valid name before any prosecution can be brought, a letter addressed to 'the occupier' is not good enough.
    It certainly ain't a perfect system when it comes to apartments which thankfully saved me quite a few quid over the years despite being the only 'name' getting mail for years at a time. Not answering the door also helped.
    Is this true? can you point me to where I would get further info this?
    I got the info from a former postman so that might be a place to start.

Advertisement