Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens to an @eircom.net email when you change ISP?

• 20-02-2011 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Ok so we've (as ususual) a dismal Eircom broadband package and are planning to change to another ISP provider, the only problem is that my mom has an @eircom.net email address and we're wondering is there anyway the keep this even if you're no longer an Eircom customer? I know the obvious choice is just get a new email address, but she doesn't want the hassle *rolls his eyes*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

You keep it. It's basically free advertising for them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

When you change isp it is usually possible to hang onto your old email address - all you need to do if you use an email program such as outlook express as distinct from webmail is to change the outgoing settings (smtp) to that of the new isp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Switched (and kept eircom email) about 5 years ago to BT and last year on to Vodafone. Just had to configure Thunderbird to BT then VFs outgoing settings, all info available on their FAQ sections, fairly simple and straightforward. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 I don't use it much but I have Thunderbird configured to manage my eircom.net e-mail and I'm now with Vodafone, you just need to change the SMTP server name in Outlook or Thunderbird depending on which ISP you move to.

If she always accesses her e-mail using a web browser then she won't have to do anything different, you only need to change settings if she uses an e-mail program like Outlook or Thunderbird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

If your using Outlook on an @eircon address the outgoing port is port 25, and some isp block that port, so that will be your prob if your only receiving mails and not being able to send em. just forward the ports on your new isp if you can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement