Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drain rods and Plunger stuck in drain.

• 20-02-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭

Here's a pain in the arse. I tried to clear the drains today (have done it 4 times in the last few years) and it wasn't clearing so easily. So I added a couple of extra rods as I assumed the blockage was further down this time. Well the damned plunger has gotten stuck on something and I can't get it back. If I leave it there I'm looking at a plunger and 6 rods blocking my drains for ever. But no matter what I do, it won't come back. The rods and plunger are brand new and the plunger doesn't seem to be bending back at all. It moves forward about 6 inches when I push but only comes back the same distance. I thought it might have gone into the main drain and gotten stuck on the rim of the hole coming back in, but I've been told that if that was the case there'd be a manhole there. Nearest access is the neighbours about 30 feet away so it's not that (if my info is correct).

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Count how many rods you have down there, and follow that length along and see if you can find a manhole or an aj somewhere.

Try turning the rods continually clockwise as you remove them and see what that does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Yeah, did that already. There's nothing anywhere in that direction, even in the neighbours. As for turning the rods clockwise; well but there's no movement at all. I'm doing what I can to ensure they don't come apart and so far I think it's ok, but I'm just managing to keep it tight. If I could turn it, it would probably help move the plunger around a bit, but there's absolutely no turning on the things at all. I'm fearing the worst here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

PITA indeed.
    If u can find the next access hole keep screwing on rods till u get there and pull it out
    u may have to buy another set or 2 but all much cheaper than the best next alternative
    What ever u do keep screwing clockwise and dont let a helpful neighbor suggest otherwise:eek:

ps: there is not a manhole each time the main sewer is met with a pipe from house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

Shovel.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Carlow52 wrote: »
    PITA indeed.
    If u can find the next access hole keep screwing on rods till u get there and pull it out
    u may have to buy another set or 2 but all much cheaper than the best next alternative
    What ever u do keep screwing clockwise and dont let a helpful neighbor suggest otherwise:eek:

ps: there is not a manhole each time the main sewer is met with a pipe from house

There should be an aj where the pipes meet yes. OP, are you walking in the right direction?

Grab the end of the exposed rod with something and try to lever it around. Like a vice grips but a heavy bastard of one. You'll most likely wave bye bye to one rod in the process, but better that than the alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Any joy getting them out?

Had a similar problem few years back guy across the road built a house and frugged up the sewer when he broke into it (literally). He (his contractor) damaged our outlet somehow then backfilled. Knew nothing of it until we started getting blockages which I cleared a couple o times with rods then like you got stuck.

No tricks just brute force added a few more rods on fed them in then ran back up the garden which eventually worked.

Very amusing to people walking up the road as they could only see my head :D

If you do get it out I'd suggest you get a length of old hydrodare and keep it behind the shed for future blockages like I do.

Advertisement