Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get a free Smartphone at O2 Shop St?

Options
  • 20-02-2011 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭

Just heard this afternoon that O2 were giving away free smartphones at the Shop Street branch this weekend if you switched to O2 prepay. Dashed into town but they said all the golden tickets had been given out, the place was manic. Did anybody manage to get one of these phones? Just wondering which phones they were offering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I'm pretty sure any of the providers will give you a free smartphone to sign over to them. Over the last two years they've all been offering them at some stage. December 2009 I was playing vodafone and o2 off each other for the best deal they'd give me with a free iphone.

Anyway, check out who will give you the best package along with the phone so you're not getting shafted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This was a prepay offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

dafunk wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure any of the providers will give you a free smartphone to sign over to them. Over the last two years they've all been offering them at some stage. December 2009 I was playing vodafone and o2 off each other for the best deal they'd give me with a free iphone.

Anyway, check out who will give you the best package along with the phone so you're not getting shafted.
    Yes i'm pretty sure this was a prepay offer which makes it very good IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Ah, I missed that bit! Seems like a good deal in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I think my sister got one. Not sure though. She came home yesterday with a brand new LG smart phone (dont know the model). Not sure if it was with Meteor or O2 though.

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    I think my sister got one. Not sure though. She came home yesterday with a brand new LG smart phone (dont know the model). Not sure if it was with Meteor or O2 though.
    AFAIK it was a samsung model but i'm open to correction here

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Got one, and a gold ticket for my gf..
    Offer was for Samsung Galaxy Europa,
    Nokia X2 or some LG c300
    Went for the Europa and am very happy with it.. faster than my HTC Hero..
    Great deal, well done O2

harryd2 wrote: »
    Got one, and a gold ticket for my gf..
    Offer was for Samsung Galaxy Europa,
    Nokia X2 or some LG c300
    Went for the Europa and am very happy with it.. faster than my HTC Hero..
    Great deal, well done O2
    amiable wrote: »
    AFAIK it was a samsung model but i'm open to correction here

I stand corrected on my earlier post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

amiable wrote: »
    I stand corrected on my earlier post

Yeah, just asked my sister there, she got hers from O2. They're giving her free credit every month too (presuming as with all customers). She's delighted with herself, in fairness it is a nice phone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 owenc1980

They are doing the same offer this coming weekend I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭dazzday

owenc1980 wrote: »
    They are doing the same offer this coming weekend I heard.

any evidence for this?

No mention of it from o2

• Registered Users Posts: 16 owenc1980

A mate of mine who works for them told me.

So what did people have to do to get their hands on these phones?

No sign of o2 doing this today but the Vodafone stores are giving out free Nokia c3, LG or V845 if you port over any buy €20 credit

Yeah picked up a 845. They were giving out X10 minis earlier today, but missed them :(
    The 845 is running Android and good hardware (GPS, wifi..etc) but screen is not very sensitive..
    Not bad though considering it was pretty much free..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

they stilll doing this tomorrow? Cant believe i missed this again. Gah.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Seaneh wrote: »
    they stilll doing this tomorrow? Cant believe i missed this again. Gah.

1 day only im pretty sure.

what time do VF and o2 in town open in the morning?

what time do VF and o2 in town open in the morning?
    O2 was last weekend, Vodafone was today. Not sure about the hours though.

• Advertisement

Was in VF on the corner of Eyre Square at 4ish today... said offer will be on 2moro if there is stopck left...saw at least 20 odd phones behind the counter. My advice get in early (9-10ish) and you might get lucky.

The V845 is my recommendation (outside of the elusive Xperia). Not great out of the box but if you stick a custom ROM on it, its not a bad bit of kit for the casual smartphone user

might wander in that fas in a wee bit for a spin. Would it be worth ,y time checjing o2 do ya think?

heading into town in a wee bit. Will let ya all know what the story is asap.

they arent open until 1 (both Vodafone and o2).

To add insult to injury I also needed to pick up a prescription and none of the pharmacies are open either AND the only cafe open was sam baileys. And i hate their coffee :-(

Sam Baileys has been tracking you in this thread. They knew you didnt like their coffee, but also knew you would be stuck in town this morning. They purposfully opened this morning to taunt you.

FYI, if you do the switch, and plan on using vodafone, it may take a looooong time to port over. There would be thousands of people porting over this weekend, so its gonna be a slow process.

i can handle being off the grid for a few hours if it means a dwcant phone for free.

Also... They dont take your old phone, do they? Otherwise i might reconsider, fierce amount of data on this pos that I would hate to lose.

i can handle being off the grid for a few hours if it means a dwcant phone for free.

Also... They dont take your old phone, do they? Otherwise i might reconsider, fierce amount of data on this pos that I would hate to lose.
    Nope, your other phone is safe. I got one just to have as a spare. I might leave my good HTC at home when I go on holidays or something. Susing out getting it unlocked, but im pretty sure im gonna have to part with a few notes to do so. What phone you going for?

depends what they have really. If they have x10 mini's, obvioudly that. Would probably choose the 845 over the symbian based nokia. Using an eseries nokia at the min and hate just about everything about the symbian os. So would actually perfer the cheaper phone!
    Which did you get?

o2 doing this in Dublin & Limerick today.. no sign of Galway :(

• Advertisement

o2 in galway doesnt open until 1pm so ya never know.

Advertisement