Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Doing a minority subject mock*

• 20-02-2011 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hey guys! Ok so i'm in 5th year and am doing Economics outside of school. (It may seem strange that i'm asking so early but i'm a bit of a control freak and need to know everything in advance, so here it goes).

There is no Economics class in my school and I am the only person doing it outside of school in my year. I'm wondering how will I apply for a Mock exam this time next year?. I also want to know how I will get it corrected..

Has anyone done this before? How did you organise it?.

Again sorry for the randomness of this thread but it would be greatly appreciated if any help was offered!

Thanks in advance for any answers! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

I'm assuming you do Economics with a teacher outside school and not on your own. Usually it's arranged that you'd sit it supervised by them, so ask if that will happen, if that is the case.
    Otherwise, you'll have to talk to your exam organiser or year head next year about an Economics mock being ordered for you. Then you have a choice to send it away to get it corrected with the rest of the school papers or your Economics teacher could correct it for you.

I don't actually do a subject outside school myself. I am part of a Chemistry grind class which is made up of people who have taken up the subject outside school, and others who attend to use the class as a grind, like myself. We'll be sitting a mock paper next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hey thanks for the speedy reply! And nope I do it all by myself! It might sound crazy but i'm very much enjoying it! I know there is a teacher in the school who taught Economics about 5 years ago for LC's so she would probably correct it, the company the exam paper would be ordered from would probably send a marking scheme out too (i'm guessing) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

*Double Post*

Sorry! :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Around November next year speak to the teacher who organizes the mocks. They'll happily order a paper for you I'm sure. You can do it in school when you have no mock on. If the school sends the mocks away to be corrected then they can do that for yours (you may have to pay an extra €7 or so for it to be corrected). If teachers correct the mocks then I'm sure one of the business or accounting teachers are also Economics teachers (even if they don't teach it) so you could ask them!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

I think if you order a mock paper, the marking scheme is included. Might have to do some research there though! :P

I applaud your motivation! I'd say it might be useful in 6th year to join an Economics grind so you can have the experience of sitting tests and just hearing the course being taught from someone else could highlight some important areas of the course that you may have only skimmed over. Keep up the good work though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Im doing Biology as a subject outside of school this year. My grinds teacher, being a teacher herself, got a mock paper from her school and delivered it sealed to my school. Since I had Engineering when the schools Biology mock was on I asked could I sit my Biology paper during one of the exams when I was free. I ended up sitting it during the History exam. That eliminated the problem of having to find someone to supervise me. Afterwards I sealed it up and left it into the office where my grinds teacher had arranged to collect it. Im sure the school wouldnt mind having to post it to your grinds teacher if you asked nicely either.

Edit: only saw you didnt have a teacher for it once I'd posted...sorry!

Thanks so much! Do you know if a marking scheme will be sent out aswell as the paper when it's ordered or how that situation goes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The marking schemes go to the person who ordered the papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

business or accounting teacher i say go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Economics mocks are always far too easy - full of syllabussy questions and rarely with anything topical. Get a teacher to make out a real test for you is my advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hey thanks for the speedy reply! And nope I do it all by myself! It might sound crazy but i'm very much enjoying it! I know there is a teacher in the school who taught Economics about 5 years ago for LC's so she would probably correct it, the company the exam paper would be ordered from would probably send a marking scheme out too (i'm guessing) :P

Ask whoever organises the mocks in your school to order a mock paper for you. Sit it when there is a subject on that you don't do, pay for it to be sent away to be corrected. Don't assume a teacher in your school will correct it for you. They don't have to, they don't teach you. Not saying they won't, but don't assume they have to take on work for students doing external subjects.

I know I'd be cheesed off if some student landed up to me in school and assumed I'd correct their ag science paper because they study it outside school and I happen to teach the subject.

Exothermic wrote: »
    I think if you order a mock paper, the marking scheme is included. Might have to do some research there though! :P

I applaud your motivation! I'd say it might be useful in 6th year to join an Economics grind so you can have the experience of sitting tests and just hearing the course being taught from someone else could highlight some important areas of the course that you may have only skimmed over. Keep up the good work though :)
    I know my Business teacher (who I get on very well with and is very helpful) did a pure Business degree in college, i'm sure he then is probably an Economics teacher!

Thanks Spurious! That's very helpful :D

Why thank you ever so much! :D it's an on-going project but I think i'm getting there! Started after the Christmas holidays and have done 30% of the course, going to get exam papers this week and start going through them and working off them!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

I didn't know 5th years were so organised!! :O You're probably better organised than 3/4 of my 6th year lol... Good job tho!

I didn't know 5th years were so organised!! :O You're probably better organised than 3/4 of my 6th year lol... Good job tho!
    Jee thanks GoldRush4821, truth is I have OCD so I prefer everything perfectly organised in lots of time! :P Strange, but true! You wouldn't happen to know anything else about the Question asked in the thread would you?.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Unfortunately, no. I don't do any subjects outside of school, although I bitterly regret that fact now, as I'm relying on 6HL subjects in order to get high points and therefore can't let any exam go wrong on the day. I'm sure your teacher will be able to shed a lot more light on the problem so I'll leave it at that! :D

Advertisement