Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed Fabric Help

Options
  • 20-02-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I had my lawn removed last year and I'm in the process of putting down weed fabric and cut stone on top, no more lawn.

The ground is very hard and when i hammer in the plastic peg to hold the fabric down they break or dont go all the way down.

Basically I'm looking for ideas or alternatives to using the plastic pegs, I've looked and there are no metal ones to be found.

Can anyone suggest any alternative ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

How about getting some wire coat hangers cutting them up and bending them into a U shape and using them as pegs..?

Lar

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

laros wrote: »
    How about getting some wire coat hangers cutting them up and bending them into a U shape and using them as pegs..?

Lar

Thanks for the reply, the only problem is that coat hanger are a bit thin and weak and would not penetrate the ground and a good gust of wind would lift them up

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

I've used the coathangers before with no problem but maybe not in your soil..;)
    your covering the ground with stone ..? put some stone ( a small pile if you have it) down where each peg is inserted and it should stop the wind whipping it up,if your near to a B&Q store ,I've bought the metal pins from them in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

jacknife wrote: »
    I had my lawn removed last year and I'm in the process of putting down weed fabric and cut stone on top, no more lawn.

The ground is very hard and when i hammer in the plastic peg to hold the fabric down they break or dont go all the way down.

Basically I'm looking for ideas or alternatives to using the plastic pegs, I've looked and there are no metal ones to be found.

Can anyone suggest any alternative ideas

Try wetting the ground in advance or alternatively use 6" nails with ring washers.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

Try wetting the ground in advance or alternatively use 6" nails with ring washers.

Thanks for that tip, never thought of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

I got some "mickey wire" narrow rebar 5mm maybe less, from a building site for free,I just cut it about 2 foot long (or less dep on soil) bent a u in it and drove it into the ground, works great on my site which is extremely windy steep and exposed. same as the ones i saw being sold for an rip off price only mine aren't painted.

Advertisement