Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHS

Options
  • 20-02-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hiya,

Does anyone know if the NHS will cover procedures for free if you're not a UK citizen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

If you're from Ireland (which I guess you are), then yes. Anyone from the EU is entitled to free treatment in the United Kingdom.

If you're thinking of hopping into the UK for free medical treatment, though, bear in mind that the NHS is one of the most inefficient, underfunded and deadly (in terms of deaths per patient) healthcare systems in the world. The British love to preach that it's free and lovely, but what good is free and lovely when it results in your death from negligence or MRSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

If you're from Ireland (which I guess you are), then yes. Anyone from the EU is entitled to free treatment in the United Kingdom.

If you're thinking of hopping into the UK for free medical treatment, though, bear in mind that the NHS is one of the most inefficient, underfunded and deadly (in terms of deaths per patient) healthcare systems in the world. The British love to preach that it's free and lovely, but what good is free and lovely when it results in your death from negligence or MRSA?

While there are certainly really, really poor PCTs in the UK, I can say that my experience of the NHS in England has been fantastic. My wife's pregnancy and our daughter's birth was absolutely brilliantly managed by an amazing maternity team.

My experience with GPs has been exactly the same as in Ireland. They look at you, tell you to either go home, or they book an appointment with a consultant and then show you the door, except here, I don't pay upwards of €40 for the privilege ;) Yes I pay for it via National Insurance but I've already had the value of all my NI contributions paid back in full during the pregnancy and birth.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Count Duckula, stop reading the Daily Mail, it's a rag :D

Advertisement