Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving the country with money owed

• 20-02-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

First of all this is not me, but it's a friend, however i am trying to convince him not to do it so need to find out any possible repercussions for him(I'm no looking for legal advice - I have already given him the advice NOT to do it).

He owes between money on a lease for a business, yet for certain reasons he has not paid it and is being taken to court over it.

He is strongly considering leaving the country going to the UK I think to avoid paying the money owed.

He doesn't think he can be chased for the money and extradited.

But surely if he is over in the UK he can be chased for the money if they find out where in the UK he is residing etc.

Also if he sets foot back in Ireland they will eventually catch him and he can hardly get a job or sign up for bill paying services without being caught out.

So as I said earlier, I'm not seeking legal advice for him just trying to find out can/will they chase him for the money even if he is in the UK, also any other possible repercussions for him.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

He doesn't think he can be chased for the money and extradited.
    He can't be extradited as it is a civil matter.

If they find out where in the UK he is, they will start chasing him for the money. He can then declare himself bankrupt and that will put pay to them chasing him.
    Also if he sets foot back in Ireland they will eventually catch him and he can hardly get a job or sign up for bill paying services without being caught out.
    If he has not resolved the matters that is true, he will be caught out here. If he went bankrupt in the UK and he came back they could not touch him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

How many people out there are like that?

I'm wondering why these people are being processed through the courts at all. As many of them I imagine have virtually no assets, and no means of repaying any debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

I'm not legally qualified but I have know people who did the opposite i.e. moved from England to the ROI owing debt, after the property boom during Thatcher's reign in London. Nothing happened as like the person above, it's a civil matter, they cannot be followed for it. These people who left debts behind them go regularily shopping in the north etc. I suppose so long as they don't get into a tangle down in the six counties their ok. It's not like the police will be waiting to pounce as if it was a murder or something.

Only thing is, if he wants to come back to the ROI on holidays etc, could be dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Only thing is, if he wants to come back to the ROI on holidays etc, could be dodgy.
    It's all civil so the Gardaí would have no interest in a person owing money here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Topcat117

Well , how's your buddy doing .?

• Advertisement
Advertisement