Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

arcademachines.ie

• 20-02-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering what people here thought about the arcarde parts available from arcademachines.ie. I'm interested in getting wiring/buttons/joysticks etc from them.

cheers

Keith

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cabs are seriously overpriced, €550 for an empty shell?? The buttons are the same price in Dollars from Happ themselves, the JPAC is much cheaper online...standard Irish retailer if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I always found them good to deal with tbh.

I always found them good to deal with tbh.

That may be, & the service is probably excellent, I've never used them so don't take the above the wrong way. There's no hiding the higher prices though. Yeah you can support Irish businesses etc, but at the end of the day, extortionate rates & rent prices arn't my problem. I'll shop where I can save as much as possible, I simply don't have the bread to burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've only ever bought one thing from them, a really rare Neo Geo MVS game called Flip Shot for a mere €15 delivered :) I think it was more of a case of them not realizing what they had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

got a couple of 60 in 1 boards from them, Price as good if not better than anywhere i had found. Fast postage and good communication.
    I would recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

I was gonna pick this up from them, along with some other stuff.

http://www.arcademachines.ie/shopping/product_info.php?cPath=40_49&products_id=103

cart is like this..

2 x Fighting Joystick €17.00
    12 x Happ Competition Pushbutton €26.40
    1 x 1078 in 1 Games family €225.00
    2 x Happ 1 & 2 Player Pushbutton €4.50
    1 x 28 Pin Out Jamma Harness €20.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

o_O

Those joysticks intrigue me.
    While they are (at those prices) almost certainly knock-off designs (and possibly using inferior microswitches), I'll have to try them out at some point. "Knock-off" doesn't necessarily mean "crap".

Surprised that the the "Blue Top" & "Lime Green Top" sticks appear to be JLF knockoffs with bubble tops.
    The "Zippy" stick is a well-known LS-32 knockoff.
    And their Korean stick is a dirt-cheap price -- might be a Crown model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Hygro,
    You may want to add about 50 quick disconnects, extra wire and crimping tools to your list unless you have em already
    Nothing worse than getting all new stuff and you can't install it because you forgot to order stuff
    all can be got on ebay for cheap

Shiyte, do I really need that stuff? quick disconnects, what are they? I will go to maplins tomorrow to try and get a crimping tool.

I'm hoping I've enough wire in the cabinet .... is it just called "wire"??

Quick disconnects connect onto your microswitches on your buttons.

from the look of your cab in other thread you'll definitely want new ones
    Size .187. for Happ
    Always good to have
    you may not need extra wire but its handy just in case. size is gauge 22

First part in below link should give you the idea
    http://www.arcadecab.com/CabinetPlans2/CabinetPlans2_Wiring_CP.html

I got a sh1tty crimping tool set like this but there is far better out there
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Crimping-Tool-Set-Crimps-Crimper-Tool-Set-Wire-Stripper-/130428630277?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e5e26f505

I'd say combined total of 20 euro.

• Advertisement

Quick disconnects connect onto your microswitches on your buttons.

from the look of your cab in other thread you'll definitely want new ones
    Size .187. for Happ
    Always good to have
    you may not need extra wire but its handy just in case. size is gauge 22

First part in below link should give you the idea
    http://www.arcadecab.com/CabinetPlans2/CabinetPlans2_Wiring_CP.html

I got a sh1tty crimping tool set like this but there is far better out there
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Crimping-Tool-Set-Crimps-Crimper-Tool-Set-Wire-Stripper-/130428630277?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e5e26f505

I'd say combined total of 20 euro.

DO NOT GO TO MAPLIN'S FOR QUICK DISCONNECTS!!

Overpricing shower of cvnts :mad:

Here's what I've been using for years:
    For the QDs just buy whatever's cheapest (incl. postage), since they're all the same :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭an_turtar

Is there much demand in Ireland for the likes of the Seimitsu LS-32 and other Japanese arcade parts?

Over on the Fighting Games forum, the most-used joystick is the Sanwa JLF.

I'm more partial to Seimitsu's LS-55 & LS-33 (w/spring-mod).

However, I buy them from my suppliers for around €16-20.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭an_turtar

Ok, that's interesting. I just have two controllers with LS-32s in them. I play all kinds of games so I find they're good for everything generally. I need to order some bits and pieces from them soon. Sending off some PCBs to Tokyo for repair also. Finally decided to get my stuff sorted once and for all.

Just got my delivery from arcademachines.ie, not bad considering I only ordered ysterday :D

Your pretty much patted down & magento-scanned when you go into Maplins. If they don't find a bulky wallet or a credit card, you get "Not tonight".

Nooo, just realise the joysticks i got are smaller than the ones I removed .... bollocks!!!! :mad:

Oh and just in case some of you were interested, this is what the underside of the stick looks like :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Your pretty much patted down & magento-scanned when you go into Maplins. If they don't find a bulky wallet or a credit card, you get "Not tonight".

Lol cannot stand that place. Was in there just before last Christmas looking to get some rechargeable batteries I think, prices were a total joke and same items had different prices on them, crappy batteries more expensive than better ones too. Asked dude working there what's the craic with the prices and he comes back with a shrug and a "dunno". Total kip.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Lol cannot stand that place. Was in there just before last Christmas looking to get some rechargeable batteries I think, prices were a total joke and same items had different prices on them, crappy batteries more expensive than better ones too. Asked dude working there what's the craic with the prices and he comes back with a shrug and a "dunno". Total kip.

Basically any shop I went into over the christmas could be described in that post. No thanks, online shopping ftw really.

Thats not to say all shops are like this, I find the mainstream ones generally are though. The small personal shops that have been around years n years were enjoyable to shop in & added to the experience (by all accounts shops on the lines of RAGE etc). But now we have rows & rows of FIFA 235588262330 pt 3242342456 Schillachi's Revenge, & a 200Db soundtrack of The Fast & The Furious to hum along to while trying to shop. Suffice it to say, I don't last long in those places :D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »

The amount of times I've gone in there hoping that maybe this time the thing I'm looking for will be priced normally...it never is though.

It's a right shame as it would be a great place to source parts if it was reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Hygro wrote: »
    Nooo, just realise the joysticks i got are smaller than the ones I removed .... bollocks!!!! :mad:

Oh and just in case some of you were interested, this is what the underside of the stick looks like :)

Did you not get my PM describing the distance between the holes of the Suzo stick?

Just seem it now Monty ... I must have been called away from the PC or distracted in some way (possibly saw a squirrel) and never read it even though I'd opened it. Though most likely cause is the b/band cut out when I tried to open it and whenever I went back online I forgot to read it.

Looks like I'll have to drill new holes for these, but I'm just wondering now how to cover the other holes. Was thinking of changing the whole graphical look of the cabinet anyway I suppose (with artwork on the cp/side/marquee) I've been told about stuff called Melamine that might be handy.

One other question, you know how some joysticks have like a plastic disc outside the CP and others have them under the CP ... what's up with that? :confused:

Oh yeah, anyone who wants a free marquee of Undercover Cops is more than welcome to have mine, once I remove it (need to find a small allen key first). :pac:

Oh yeah, before I do that I'll have to take a pic of it, cos arcade-museum.com are looking for one.

Hygro, what stick did you buy?

Restrictor plate looks like Sanwa JLW but microswitches/mounting plate colours do not.
    I hope for your sake that the shaft is long enough for bottom-mounting.
    Slagcoin's guide recommends 23-24mm between bottom of balltop & top of CP.

The plastic discs are dustwashers that prevent gunk from getting down into the pivot. Have them between top of CP & balltop on Japanese-style sticks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I made that mistake with the shaft length :D I had to go and get longer ones off ultimarc, ended up costing me 40 euro to deliver two long shafts. That just sounds wrong..

I bought these sticks, they have those washers in them, but do you have to dismantle the joystick to get it on the outside of the CP?

I've an awful feeling that I don't have that clearance obove the cp either way .... :(

keithgeo wrote: »
    I made that mistake with the shaft length :D I had to go and get longer ones off ultimarc, ended up costing me 40 euro to deliver two long shafts. That just sounds wrong..

Think we both got shafted ...

I bought these sticks, they have those washers in them, but do you have to dismantle the joystick to get it on the outside of the CP?

I've an awful feeling that I don't have that clearance obove the cp either way .... :(

You just take the ball off the top and put the stick up through from the bottom, is that what you mean?

I seen people mount them on top by routing out a square and screwing them down then covering with a control panel image and plexi glass but i dont know how secure that would be, they might come away with use. best bet is to buy long handle shafts.

I didn't think it was that simple .. obviously there's a difference between arcade fighting sticks and these ones then ... otherwise there'd be no tops on any of them in arcades (at least in Ireland anyway ... the Japanese are a more honourable race though).

• Advertisement

Retr0 is gonna have a field day with all this innuendo, apparently he's a shaft enthusiast.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I hope for your sake that the shaft is long enough for bottom-mounting.

This one was my favorite.. :D

I didn't think it was that simple .. obviously there's a difference between arcade fighting sticks and these ones then ... otherwise there'd be no tops on any of them in arcades (at least in Ireland anyway ... the Japanese are a more honourable race though).

True Japanese sticks have a notch at the bottom of the shaft, which you can use with a flat-head screwdriver to unscrew the balltop.

Failing that, they generally have an E-ring/E-clip which can be used to remove the entire shaft & pivot assembly.

P.S.: Should've gotten the Suzo sticks I linked you ;)

sorry KO, I haven't got a credit card, so I could only use a site that accepted Laser (arcadmachines.ie does this). Though ironically, with this new O2 money pre pay "credit card" http://www.o2online.ie/o2/o2-money/?cm_sp=Prepay-February-_-O2-Money-_-HP-Banner1 , which I plan on getting, I can now buy stuff online! :D

I'm going into Dr Quirkeys tomorrow to see if I can catch the owner there, gonna see if he has any cabs he doesn't want (and hasn't already scrapped more to the point) so if I manage to get one I will defo shop where you told me to for new parts :pac:

oh and p.s. if anyone has a few grand lying about the place ... The Edge in rathmines are selling off double driving cabs, like Sega Rally 2, all refurbed.

GL in Quirkey's, I've had a hard time finding staff to explain to me why they never service their machines :pac:

oh and p.s. if anyone has a few grand lying about the place ... The Edge in rathmines are selling off double driving cabs, like Sega Rally 2, all refurbed.

A few grand?? :eek: Anything reasonably priced?

• Advertisement

If you bottom mount and shaft isn't long enough you can buy these:
    http://www.shadaloo.eu/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=126&flypage=vmj_ritz.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

It adds an extra 15mm on to it and it will fit presuming your sticks have the threads at the top to fit any Seimitsu/Sanwa balltop.

Okay, just so everyone knows, my shaft is more than adequate, actually it's longer than the one that was peviously in the cabinet :D

Another thing is that the CP itself is metal!! It's only about 2mm thick and just has MDF around the edges, so I guess all this talk about shaft length was for nothing ... :pac:

Enternow, I didn't get a list of the games per se, I was asking the guy about cabinets and he said they were long gone but that he's a few driving cabs. If you give them a call between 12pm & 2pm mon-fri you can speak to the manager, their no is 4971833. You might be able to get a proper list from him and fill us all in :)

I can no longer read this thread withour grimmacing, who started this whole shaft thing? :D

Hmm, I'm not sure I should ring them...Iif they have a Ridge Racer I'll likely end up in admisistration :(:D

Actually o1s1n, how's that candy going? I presume Mitch sorted out the screen by now, are you basking in Candy Neo Geo goodness :D

Master of the Universe

Still a few hiccups...I have faith in Mitch though. He'll get it sorted :)

I'm just plagued with bad luck to be honest. I think it's negative karma to balance out all the good deals I find! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Right I want to get my partys ordered for my weecade, I'm doing 1 player 6 button layout

So how many buttons do i actully need? 6 buttons for controls, 1 for player 1 coin, 1 for start, do i need ones for select and pause aswell?

I need a J-pac right? And a stick, i was thinking about getting the 4 way/ 8 way stick

Would arcademachines be the best place to get this stuff?

Right I want to get my partys ordered for my weecade, I'm doing 1 player 6 button layout

So how many buttons do i actully need? 6 buttons for controls, 1 for player 1 coin, 1 for start, do i need ones for select and pause aswell?

I need a J-pac right? And a stick, i was thinking about getting the 4 way/ 8 way stick

Would arcademachines be the best place to get this stuff?

When you use a JPAC, if you hold P1 Start is functions like a hift key, making every other button have a second function of your choosing.

Cool, so all i need really is 6 buttons and a player 1 button.

and this is what I want and not this?

So then Buttons, interface, stick ( i was thinking the euro stick), the blind hole mounting kit, wiring kit and crimp wire wire connectors and thats all i need, not forgetting anything am I?

Cool, so all i need really is 6 buttons and a player 1 button.

and this is what I want and not this?

So then Buttons, interface, stick ( i was thinking the euro stick), the blind hole mounting kit, wiring kit and crimp wire wire connectors and thats all i need, not forgetting anything am I?

If your using a computer monitor, then I'd go for the ipac. It's the same withoug the video circuitry, if an arcade crt - then def a jpac.

I say you should definitely get an 8th button for coin.

Unless you man up & live by the 1-credit rule, that is ;)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I say you should definitely get an 8th button for coin.

Unless you man up & live by the 1-credit rule, that is ;)

By default, START & P1 Button 1 functions as the coin input. I reckon go one better JB, fit a coin mech for ultimate novelty goodness. It makes you feel all important walking up to a cab & opening the hatch with a key & retrieving your own money :D:rolleyes:

Right so ipac it is, thanks enter

EnterNow wrote: »
    By default, START & P1 Button 1 functions as the coin input. I reckon go one better JB, fit a coin mech for ultimate novelty goodness. It makes you feel all important walking up to a cab & opening the hatch with a key & retrieving your own money :D:rolleyes:

If i could fit it i definitly would.

I'll ordering all this stuff tonight, i'll let ye see first befroe i commit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

• Advertisement
Advertisement