Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

arcademachines.ie

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just ordered all the arcade parts and an amp for the speakers

Now I have to get 1 or 2 pc parts, how big a harddrive would i need? 500gb?

I think I may need to pick up a graphics card aswell, the one I have will not run any game that takes any kinda of power to run

239920-001.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I could be wrong, some of the more knowlegable lads on here will correct me if i am, but you dont need a major high spec card to run mame as its all software emulation i think?

I have two 300gig drives in mine, i have a jukebox running on my one and all the songs are on the second drive, over 1000 albums, just for mame though even 200gig would be grand i think.

Well I was running mame with that card before in a very old pc, playing with a keyboard too haha

But it ran a lot of games, this was before I knew anything about computers. But I have 2 fairly serious graphics cards in my pc now, I'd have no problem taking out one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Apparantly a graphics card will take some of the load off the processor even though it's all software based.

Right so, I'll pick up a handy graphics card during the week, or i migt just take one out of my pc now.

That is one good thing about graphics cards now, New ones come out so often the ones that cost loads last year are cheap enough now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Right so, I'll pick up a handy graphics card during the week, or i migt just take one out of my pc now.

That is one good thing about graphics cards now, New ones come out so often the ones that cost loads last year are cheap enough now

I've a basic 512MB ATI card in mine, runs anyting I throw at it. It's worth getting something with a bit of grunt in it, for stuff like M2 etc. If I were you I'd pick up something off this list 2nd hand. You'll get anything mentioned there for next to nothing.

You could also use one of the new ArcadeVGA cards. They output 15Khz natively & from what I remember they have decent specs now (LoGiE has one & can advise on its specs).

It is worth noting, that Soft15Khz, tool of the gods, giver of life to many many mamecabs, putting smiles on mens faces around the world...was written by a girl :cool: No idea what she looks like, but she'd get it, just for that :pac:

Actually this is the exact card I use - http://community.arcadeinfo.de/showpost.php?p=80910&postcount=46 (it's actually only 256MB so there ya go, no monsterous power needed. It runs anything including mame, viva nonno, M2, Gens etc).

Yeah I'll pick up somthing handy 512 or so. Just have all my backups on the way now aswell! :D 1000 of them, glad I dont have to take my cabs out of storage, anyone interested heres the list

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T9_N88Ut66agJFJO3ce2BhNp4cR8nOgZ5EXdy7b_5ps/edit?hl=en&authkey=CJGai4QG

Ive an arcadevga at home but theres no point putting it in a mame cab with an lcd screen, im going to hang onto though for down the road in case i need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Which build/branch of MAME are you all using?

From what I remember reading, the "official" MAME team has turned into a bunch of antagonistic nerds who'll break hundreds of games if it makes something run 1% more "authentic".

Master of the Universe

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Which build/branch of MAME are you all using?

From what I remember reading, the "official" MAME team has turned into a bunch of antagonistic nerds who'll break hundreds of games if it makes something run 1% more "authentic".

As Enternow said before though, isn't the point of MAME to emulate and document arcade hardware rather than to run games?

If the guys want to focus on that aspect of it, fair play to them. At least someone is. There are plenty of other ways of playing roms.

I hung onto a pretty old version of MAME32k which seems to run everything I throw at it..not sure of the version number. It must be from about 5+ years ago.

Jebus I forgot you were using an lcd screen jaybles. Get whichever card you wish in that case :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    As Enternow said before though, isn't the point of MAME to emulate and document arcade hardware rather than to run games?

If the guys want to focus on that aspect of it, fair play to them. At least someone is. There are plenty of other ways of playing roms.

I hung onto a pretty old version of MAME32k which seems to run everything I throw at it..not sure of the version number. It must be from about 5+ years ago.

The end result is documentation, playing of the roms is only a side effect. Up as far as CPS2 stuff, anything i've done in Mame has been perfect (exclusing 3d of course). I don't really see why people take such issue with it, if you wannt use a different emu, well, em...do :) There's plenty of excellent ones which will take advantage od 3d card etc & provide a better playable experience.

Im only really interested in one that will play all the games, is there a better one out there than mame that will do this? I have most games running i want to at the minute, but theres still one or two i cant get going.

Master of the Universe

I've found that if a game doesn't work with MAME, it's probably more to do with you having an incompatibility issue between the emulator version and the romset rather than the emulator itself being broken.

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    Im only really interested in one that will play all the games, is there a better one out there than mame that will do this? I have most games running i want to at the minute, but theres still one or two i cant get going.

There should be, what are the games you have trouble with?

A lot of the 3d games run slower than normal for some reason, but the main issues i have is trying to get 2 player versions of 4 player games working if that makes sense, eg the simpsons, turtles, sunset riders. the 4 players work but the 2 player version dont.

Sunsetriders is a paticular pain in the you know what, it works directly from mame but from the frontend (maximus arcade) it wont launch unless its the 4 player version.

Master of the Universe

Could you not just play the 4 player version and not insert coins/press start for players 3&4?

Seems like the obvious solution! :D

haha i know but i like playing as the Mexican Lad!

and no one likes playing as marge or lisa!

EnterNow wrote: »
    There should be, what are the games you have trouble with?

I had the exact same issue with Sunset Riders on my cab & The Simpsons believe it or not. Only the 4 player version would load. I fixed it in the end by making Hyperspin launch the 2 player version. What I did was create a "Favourites" genre in Hyperspin (I think, this was ages ago), & adding all my favourite games into it (2p versions of the above etc). I could then switch between the master games list, for browsing unplayed games etc, & my favourites, which once I like a game I'll add it in there.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Could you not just play the 4 player version and not insert coins/press start for players 3&4?

Seems like the obvious solution! :D

That didn't work in my case, as the coin mech would only add credits for certain characters. I guess I could have make a shift function for p3/p4 credits, but I was tired. Lazy too.

Yeh its like the coin mech on the 4 player has 4 coin inserts, so you can only start a game with 1 or 2 player not 3 or 4.

I tried what you said there, creating a favorites, the game still doesnt launch though just a black screen when i start the two player version. works perfect from mame itself though!! frustrating!

Yeh its like the coin mech on the 4 player has 4 coin inserts, so you can only start a game with 1 or 2 player not 3 or 4.

I tried what you said there, creating a favorites, the game still doesnt launch though just a black screen when i start the two player version. works perfect from mame itself though!! frustrating!

Bear with me till I send that query down to long term memory retrieval :o there is 100% a solution, but my mind is slow these days :pac:

What version of Hyperspin are you using Keith?

Not using hyperspin im using Maximus Arcade on it, so could be a different issue related to the front end.

Not using hyperspin im using Maximus Arcade on it, so could be a different issue related to the front end.

Ah I see, well on that frontend, what determines what enteres a game into the favourites genre? Is it a button combo or do you manually add it to a config file?

when you are scrolling down the list of games, the full list, you press F6 (i think) to add it to a list, a window pops up with the different lists you have setup ie favourites and you just hit enter on it and its added.

when you are scrolling down the list of games, the full list, you press F6 (i think) to add it to a list, a window pops up with the different lists you have setup ie favourites and you just hit enter on it and its added.

Have a poke around the programmes install directory for a txt file that's storing where your favourites are. It should be clearly marked, whatever the name of the 4 player Sunset Riders is remove it, & manually type in the name of the 2p one. i might have done something similar, can't really remember :o

Cheers ill give it a go later and see if i can find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 memoli

do they send parts to USA other than ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

memoli wrote: »
    do they send parts to USA other than ireland ?
    If you're in USA, I would recommend you use LizardLick.com or FocusAttack.com instead.

Advertisement