Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caught speeding on moniva road

Options
  • 20-02-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

so people how many of you have being caught speeding on monivea road at the community centre last week. well i didnt but mr cats.life did. he was doing 90 . for people who dont know the area ,its 80km speed on that road. he know,s he has done wrong but i would like to know are there many more like him to get caught ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

cats.life wrote: »
    i would like to know are there many more like him to get caught ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

No. But wherabouts is the community centre on the Monivea Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 galwayshelly

carnmore centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

No. But wherabouts is the community centre on the Monivea Rd?

Its Carnmore Hurling pitch. About 1.1/2 miles from the traffic lights at Grealish's pub.

It was a red van for those of you who are interested parked up outside the hurling pitch wall. It was there on a few different occasions over the past week, different days and times.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

I would say quite a few got caught out with that. I normally do the 80KM/H on that road anyway unless someone is only doing 50-60KM/H. You would think the road was a motorway the way some people drive on it. The camera was on the right after the airport heading into Galway in the 60KM/H zone a couple of times the same week. I'm sure a few people got caught there too.

Anybody know the reason for the 60KM/H zone after Carnmore Cross heading past the airport into the city? The road is as open as any road in the county, bar duel carraigeways and motorways, with a hardshoulder. Seems a bit ridiculus really. It's not very well signed after the cross either. One of the signs is knocked and the other is slightly twisted away from you. If you didn't use the road very often you would think the speed limit was higher than 60KM/H. 80KM/H would be more appropiate on that road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

The speed camera is there again at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

aido76 wrote: »
    I would say quite a few got caught out with that. I normally do the 80KM/H on that road anyway unless someone is only doing 50-60KM/H. You would think the road was a motorway the way some people drive on it. The camera was on the right after the airport heading into Galway in the 60KM/H zone a couple of times the same week. I'm sure a few people got caught there too.

Anybody know the reason for the 60KM/H zone after Carnmore Cross heading past the airport into the city? The road is as open as any road in the county, bar duel carraigeways and motorways, with a hardshoulder. Seems a bit ridiculus really. It's not very well signed after the cross either. One of the signs is knocked and the other is slightly twisted away from you. If you didn't use the road very often you would think the speed limit was higher than 60KM/H. 80KM/H would be more appropiate on that road.

A school, residences, entrance/exits along that stretch could possibly explain the 60 kph limit.

I'm open to correction, but the limit may be 80 around the entrance to the airport. If so, that is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    A school, residences, entrance/exits along that stretch could possibly explain the 60 kph limit.

I'm open to correction, but the limit may be 80 around the entrance to the airport. If so, that is too high.

The speed limit from Carnmore Cross past the airport into about 500m before Briarhill School is 60kph, it then drops to 50kph past the school as far as roundabout. icon12.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

And whats great about the Airport road is its 60 kph and every side road off it both left and right is 80 kph and you can hardly drive a car on those narrow roads. What a shambles our roads and speed limits are.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

the van was there again today but the cars who were coming towards me were flashing at me warning me at what lay ahead. i was going 70 anyway.but the flashing thingy is against the law isnt it, saw it some where that a fella flashed at an on coming car warning them that the gardai were stoping up the road but the car that he flashed was an of duty gardai. think he got done for dangerous driving or some thing like that.

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    And whats great about the Airport road is its 60 kph and every side road off it both left and right is 80 kph and you can hardly drive a car on those narrow roads. What a shambles our roads and speed limits are.

And from Carnmore cross towards Monivea is 80KM/H and the road is nowhere near as good as the airport rd.

I agree that 80KM/H would be too high at the airport enterance but from there to the 50KM/H zone before the school should be 80KM/H.

Storm 10 wrote: »

Speed limits were changed from MPH to KPH in 2005. Before the conversion, AFAIK, the general limit was 60 mph and this applied to many of the side roads you refer to.

This seems to be confirmed by a May 2001 article in the Irish Independent:
    NEW road restrictions on young drivers and a radical overhaul of speed limits were proposed by gardai last night. Mid-ranking members of the force declared that the general speed limit of 60mph was clearly too fast for many regional roads, which were narrow and winding and often had poor, potholed surfaces.
    The new speed limit of 80 kph was a reduction on the previous general limit of 60 mph, but there seems to be widespread agreement that it's still not low enough for many of the side roads you refer to.

There are frequent complaints on Boards that the 80 kph limit for side roads is too high, and that this makes a nonsense of lower speed limits on better roads.

Couple questions for you, regarding your impressions/knowledge of the situation before the 2005 changeover.

What kind of campaigning/complaining re the inappropriately high 60 MPH limit do you think was done on Boards and elsewhere prior to the 2005 conversion to KPH?

Were there many calls on Boards for a lower limit for these side roads around 2004-2005 during the process of conversion to KPH?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Speed limits were changed from MPH to KPH in 2005. Before the conversion, AFAIK, the general limit was 60 mph and this applied to many of the side roads you refer to.

This seems to be confirmed by a May 2001 article in the Irish Independent:
    NEW road restrictions on young drivers and a radical overhaul of speed limits were proposed by gardai last night. Mid-ranking members of the force declared that the general speed limit of 60mph was clearly too fast for many regional roads, which were narrow and winding and often had poor, potholed surfaces.
    The new speed limit of 80 kph was a reduction on the previous general limit of 60 mph, but there seems to be widespread agreement that it's still not low enough for many of the side roads you refer to.

There are frequent complaints on Boards that the 80 kph limit for side roads is too high, and that this makes a nonsense of lower speed limits on better roads.

Couple questions for you, regarding your impressions/knowledge of the situation before the 2005 changeover.

What kind of campaigning/complaining re the inappropriately high 60 MPH limit do you think was done on Boards and elsewhere prior to the 2005 conversion to KPH?

Were there many calls on Boards for a lower limit for these side roads around 2004-2005 during the process of conversion to KPH?

To be honest with you I was not a member on boards then I only became aware of boards when I joined something which I regret as there is such great info her, with regards to the crazy speed limits my other half is from the West and the road up to her house is unpaved yet its 80kph and coming down to turn onto the main road its 60kph. Even doing 20kph on the road its dangerous being so narrow and full of turns, crazy crazy set up.

The speed camara was outside the Carnmore pitch again this morning.
    I witnessed the worse driving I have seen in a long time also. I was driving along behide another car doing in the region of 80KM/H most of the way until we came up behind another car doing around 70KM/H. Nothing wrong there as it's an 80KM/H zone. Another car came up behind me which I would say was doing more than 80KM/H. Went around the corner before the pitch and the front car slowed slightly. Again nothing wrong there either as they may have seen the speed van in the distances. Just as we came to the speed van the front car HIT the brakes down to about 30KM/H :eek: :confused:. There were no other cars coming against us and the road surface is not that bad (not great but not that bad). The car behind me nearly hit me. There was no reason for the car infront to hit the brakes only that the speed van was beside them. The car infront was doing nothing wrong in the first place but to hit the brakes for no reason was ridiculus. Do alot of people hit the brakes just as they are about to pass a speed van even when thay are within the speed limit? You are well intrully caught before this point. I understand people slowing a bit before they get to the van.
    I know some people will write back here telling me that you should expect the unexpected. I do. You should leave enough braking distance to the car in front. I do. I have no problem with somebody hitting the brakes for a good reason but this takes the biscuit.
    Sory RANT over:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

If in your opinion you witness what you consider dangerous driving report it because the offender will not improve their driving habits.
    Garda Trafficwatch: 1890 205 805

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

The speed camara was outside the Carnmore pitch again this morning.
    I witnessed the worse driving I have seen in a long time also. I was driving along behide another car doing in the region of 80KM/H most of the way until we came up behind another car doing around 70KM/H. Nothing wrong there as it's an 80KM/H zone. Another car came up behind me which I would say was doing more than 80KM/H. Went around the corner before the pitch and the front car slowed slightly. Again nothing wrong there either as they may have seen the speed van in the distances. Just as we came to the speed van the front car HIT the brakes down to about 30KM/H :eek: :confused:. There were no other cars coming against us and the road surface is not that bad (not great but not that bad). The car behind me nearly hit me. There was no reason for the car infront to hit the brakes only that the speed van was beside them. The car infront was doing nothing wrong in the first place but to hit the brakes for no reason was ridiculus. Do alot of people hit the brakes just as they are about to pass a speed van even when thay are within the speed limit? You are well intrully caught before this point. I understand people slowing a bit before they get to the van.
    I know some people will write back here telling me that you should expect the unexpected. I do. You should leave enough braking distance to the car in front. I do. I have no problem with somebody hitting the brakes for a good reason but this takes the biscuit.
    Sory RANT over:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    no wonder the camera is out side there again with the twats who drive on there, they come right up behind you .,and nearly in my back boot some time,s,he must be getting loads of them go ing like the clappers, but what happened to you is a typical asshole of road, if they are that nervous they should be not behind a wheel of a car, as you say the camera would have got him if he was speeding away before he saw it, yes always exspect the unexspected but hitting the breaks dead like that :eek::eek::eek:.as for getting the reg ,well i say you had to recover from shock first , well done for not raming into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eilswen1

I just received two tickets in the post- one for 14:01 and one for 14:06 both on the airport road. This means €160 and 4 points. I've emailed them about it but it seems totally unfair. That road is terribly signposted I was sure it was a 100km/h zone and when I saw the truck I thought maybe it's an 80km/h zone but was caught doing 69 and 76- raging!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

That is a bit ridiculous in fairness... Getting punished twice for the one offence. Hope common sense prevails there.

Also, 9 km above an already ridiculously low limit is hardly dangerous. If that was a garda manning a gun, you'd hope he'd have the common sense to let you by. My fear with this new gatso system, is that it'll be like the clampers, whereby you are blindly given a fine/ticket and then they have so much bureaucracy to hide behind when it comes to the appeals process to the extent that its nigh on impossible to get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭AMHRASACH

@ Kiltullagh. A big money earner for the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

AMHRASACH wrote: »
    @ Kiltullagh. A big money earner for the state.

To fund our wonderful banking system...

There is now a black gatso van doing the rounds as well, been on the N63 a few times this week...And met him coming into Turloughmore....

As hard as it may seem, watch your speed and deny these debt collectors any money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

cats.life wrote: »
    the van was there again today but the cars who were coming towards me were flashing at me warning me at what lay ahead. i was going 70 anyway.but the flashing thingy is against the law isnt it, saw it some where that a fella flashed at an on coming car warning them that the gardai were stoping up the road but the car that he flashed was an of duty gardai. think he got done for dangerous driving or some thing like that.

It would be impossible to prove that a driver specifically flashed his lights in an attempt to pervert justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

Eilswen1 wrote: »
    I just received two tickets in the post- one for 14:01 and one for 14:06 both on the airport road. This means €160 and 4 points. I've emailed them about it but it seems totally unfair. That road is terribly signposted I was sure it was a 100km/h zone and when I saw the truck I thought maybe it's an 80km/h zone but was caught doing 69 and 76- raging!

That's tough... How long did it take them to issue the ticket?

Hotwheels wrote: »
    To fund our wonderful banking system...

There is now a black gatso van doing the rounds as well, been on the N63 a few times this week...And met him coming into Turloughmore....

As hard as it may seem, watch your speed and deny these debt collectors any money.

That's the way to do it. Make sure they don't make a cent. Then everybody wins, no?

That sounds very strange. Unless you were going back the other way on the same stretch of road 5 minutes later? Did you not see the speed camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

That sounds very strange. Unless you were going back the other way on the same stretch of road 5 minutes later? Did you not see the speed camera?

answer:
    ...road is terribly signposted I was sure it was a 100km/h zone and when I saw the truck...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Ironic, the old Monivea road was brutal and the max speed limit applied, then they upgraded the road from Carnmore Cross to Briarhill and reduced the speed limit. The rest of the road to Monivea is still poor quality, narrow, lots of bad bends, but the max speed limit applies there.
    Shooting fish in a barrel as regards colecting fine money for the State it seems.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Ironic, the old Monivea road was brutal and the max speed limit applied, then they upgraded the road from Carnmore Cross to Briarhill and reduced the speed limit. The rest of the road to Monivea is still poor quality, narrow, lots of bad bends, but the max speed limit applies there.
    Shooting fish in a barrel as regards colecting fine money for the State it seems.

There are various exits along that stretch, including residences and the airport itself. There is also a school in that location.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70780852&postcount=9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Yes and they were all there before the road was improved.

I'm just in the process of checking roads in that area, using StreetView, and I think you may be correct. I've long believed that it's 60 kph from roughly the Briarhill side to Carnmore Cross, but I can't find any evidence of signage on StreetView.

You may have a case for having the speeding ticket(s) cancelled. Somewhere on Boards there is another case mentioned where 40 tickets were cancelled because the official speed limit on a stretch of road (near Athlone I think) was higher than that in the GoSafe database.

I presume you would need to have solid evidence that there is a problem with signage. Not sure what such solid evidence would be, but photos and exact locations would be a good start. Purely out of curiosity (and because I hate laziness and sloppiness in official matters) I am going to contact Galway Co Co to ask for the formal details regarding the speed limits in this location, especially the signage.

My quick scoot through StreetView suggests that there are not enough speed limit signs, and that they are absent where they are most needed. For example, why are there Drive On The Left signs in the vicinity of the airport but no indication of a speed limit? How are visitors supposed to know?

There may be other anomalies and oddities. The speed limit on some side roads is indeed clearly indicated as 80 kph as you leave the main road, but on the other side there is a 60 kph limit. That's fine for someone coming out of a side road, but gives no information to motorists on the main road.

Also, the speed limit approaching Carnmore Cross (a historically bad spot for crashes) is actually 50 kph. However it appears that there are no further signs along the road past the airport, which in theory suggests that the limit is still 50 kph because it has not been 'cancelled' by another sign. Evidently the Galway Co Co roads departments is as disorganised as their "planning" section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

There are various exits along that stretch, including residences and the airport itself. There is also a school in that location.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70780852&postcount=9

There are even more exits on the old part between Carnmore Cross and Monivea, and a hell of a lot of traffic.

Advertisement