Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caught speeding on moniva road

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Why?

based on your logic that 60kph is a the correct speed to have on this road because a few houses face the road(very few, id guess less than 5 between the airport and the Bruckey/Kiltulla turnoff as the rest enter this road via 2 side lanes) and 2 other side roads join it, then why not apply your logic to all similar national roads and reduce them to 60kph as most of these have houses/side roads, sure itll only add 37seconds per 2.5kms. You have to admit that this road is of a very high standard(surface, visibility, width) and has an excellent safety record(even with 95% of motorists driving at 80kph +.

My comment about you trotting between forms in your high horse is related to the time when you first joined boards, do you not remember when 95% of your posts were pro speed vans and anyone who questioned you received a spam private message from you quoting gibberish, its quite clear you have an alternative motive for your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

996tt wrote: »
    based on your logic that 60kph is a the correct speed to have on this road because a few houses face the road(very few, id guess less than 5 between the airport and the Bruckey/Kiltulla turnoff as the rest enter this road via 2 side lanes) and 2 other side roads join it, then why not apply your logic to all similar national roads and reduce them to 60kph as most of these have houses/side roads, sure itll only add 37seconds per 2.5kms. You have to admit that this road is of a very high standard(surface, visibility, width) and has an excellent safety record(even with 95% of motorists driving at 80kph +.

My comment about you trotting between forms in your high horse is related to the time when you first joined boards, do you not remember when 95% of your posts were pro speed vans and anyone who questioned you received a spam private message from you quoting gibberish, its quite clear you have an alternative motive for your posts.

I didn't suggest lowering all similar 80 kph roads to 60. The speed limit on the road mentioned by the OP is 60 kph, that's a simple fact. At a speed of 60 kph it takes only 37 seconds longer to drive the section (assuming it's 2.5 km) than at 80 kph. That is also a fact. 37 seconds is not a big deal. That's my opinion.

Talking of facts, in your second paragraph you're just making stuff up about me. Please don't.

I didn't suggest lowering all similar 80 kph roads to 60. The speed limit on the road mentioned by the OP is 60 kph, that's a simple fact. At a speed of 60 kph it takes only 37 seconds longer to drive the section (assuming it's 2.5 km) than at 80 kph. That is also a fact. 37 seconds is not a big deal. That's my opinion.

Talking of facts, in your second paragraph you're just making stuff up about me. Please don't.

Are you going to deny that you sent the following unsolicited private message to myself and 3 other users(who were also not happy that you contacted them) on the 26-11-2010, 16:20, you probably cant find it among the other spam you were sending other boards members.

Posting PMs is not on, PM message removed
    biko

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Heard on the radio that Noel G wanted the speed limit upped to 80 where it's 60 now or something to that effect, was only half listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Can't believe the amount of debate that is going on about this road.
    I travel that road everyday. I don't go above 60. People over take me and next thing I am pulling up behind them at Carnmore Cross or the Roundabout in Brierhill.
    You won't get to your destination much quicker if they even up it to 80KM/h.

As a local I would recommend slowing down at Glynns Shop/Airport Entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

yes biko i was listening to the same news and grealish is trying to get it up to 80km,s, he says that its a wide road well maintained with hard shoulder , he has being chatting to the council people. wonder will it happen,?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

My God. This thread has grown today. Must be nothing else being discussed on Boards:D

Anyway, I don't think it's about getting to your destination quicker is the reason to have a higher limit. When a road is as wide and as good as this road is, it very hard to keep your speed to 60KM/H. This is about being caught speeding on a perfectly good road that is not dangerous to drive on at a higher speed than the limit suggests.
    When a road is narrow you don't speed as much because you feel you are travelling much faster than you actually are. When on a much wider road it feels like you are not travelling that fast so keeping your speed down can be more of a distraction. Thankfully I have CC to take care of this otherwise I would be drifting over the limit from time to time. I thnk its madness being given a speeding ticket and 2 points on your licence for doing a safe speed on a safe road with a stupidly low speed limit.
    Do you have any source for the claim that "there are a lot of roads around the country where people have died but you won't see a speed van on them because they are back roads or side roads that have very little traffic"? What are the actual fatality statistics by road type and location?
    I cant give you any source for this claim only what I know from around my own location. I can think of 3 minor road that have had deaths and serious injuries on them. These roads don't have hugh amounts of traffic on them and you wont see a speed van on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

aido76 wrote: »
    My God. This thread has grown today. Must be nothing else being discussed on Boards:D

Anyway, I don't think it's about getting to your destination quicker is the reason to have a higher limit. When a road is as wide and as good as this road is, it very hard to keep your speed to 60KM/H. This is about being caught speeding on a perfectly good road that is not dangerous to drive on at a higher speed than the limit suggests.
    When a road is narrow you don't speed as much because you feel you are travelling much faster than you actually are. When on a much wider road it feels like you are not travelling that fast so keeping your speed down can be more of a distraction. Thankfully I have CC to take care of this otherwise I would be drifting over the limit from time to time. I thnk its madness being given a speeding ticket and 2 points on your licence for doing a safe speed on a safe road with a stupidly low speed limit.
    One of the issues with discussing speed limits purely from the perspective of motorists is that it fails to address the perceived safety concerns of other road users; pedestrians and cyclists. Higher speeds discourage those road users, particularly cyclists from also using the road. There's also the consideration of vulnerable pedestrians (young, elderly, those with restricted mobility, etc.) who may have to cross the road for example. Higher speeds impact both their safety and their willingness to spend time out and around. Those perspectives may not be immediately obvious to people who only experience the road from inside a motor vehicle. That's not a dig, it's just an observation that it's not alway obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Can't wait till they start parking the gatso van along the N6 from Ballybane to Terryland, there'll be riots outside the council offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

ciotog wrote: »
    One of the issues with discussing speed limits purely from the perspective of motorists is that it fails to address the perceived safety concerns of other road users; pedestrians and cyclists. Higher speeds discourage those road users, particularly cyclists from also using the road. There's also the consideration of vulnerable pedestrians (young, elderly, those with restricted mobility, etc.) who may have to cross the road for example. Higher speeds impact both their safety and their willingness to spend time out and around. Those perspectives may not be immediately obvious to people who only experience the road from inside a motor vehicle. That's not a dig, it's just an observation that it's not alway obvious.

There are other roads where you would see more cyclists and pedestrians on and the limit is 100KM/H. The old N6 from Oranmore to Derrydonnell would be 1 example. There is also a bus stop at Derrydonnell but the limit was never reduced here and the Monivea/airport road is as wide as that road. I think there is ample room and visability on the Monivea/airport road for cyclists, vulnerable pedestrians (young, elderly, those with restricted mobility, etc.) even more so than most roads in the country.

The reason (given) for the speed vans is to save lives. I don't think being caught doing 65KM/H on this road is going to save any lives. Seeing speed vans on narrow rural roads where the limit is 80KM/H will deter motorists some what and this I would be more infavour of. I also think they should change the locations around on the same stretches of roads as people are getting to know where the vans are and motorists are speeding on most of the roads and then slow down where the vans might be.

• Advertisement

There are other roads where you would see more cyclists and pedestrians on and the limit is 100KM/H. The old N6 from Oranmore to Derrydonnell would be 1 example. There is also a bus stop at Derrydonnell but the limit was never reduced here and the Monivea/airport road is as wide as that road. I think there is ample room and visability on the Monivea/airport road for cyclists, vulnerable pedestrians (young, elderly, those with restricted mobility, etc.) even more so than most roads in the country.
    I think you've missed what I was saying. Your point is just from the motorists perspective when talking about ample room and visibility. What the point misses is that ample room when cars are passing you at 60km and 80km are very different things from the perceived safety perspective of a cyclist or pedestrian. Ample room often seems to mean that a motorist can get by without having to slow down and rarely means allowing a safe distance to for the other road user to safely deal with obstacles. I experience this, for example, as having to brake sharply so that I can navigate a pothole or badly placed storm drain cover safely because a motor vehicle is on top of me (behind or side) and not allowing me space to navigate around the hazard. I'm assuming this is a consequence of a lack of visibility of such road hazards on the part of the motorist. At higher motor vehicle speeds the danger to a cyclist when encountering such a hazard is increased. So, while the speed limit may same overly restrictive to a motorist it actually seems sensible from a cyclists perspective and you perceive the road as safe to cycle on by virtue of space and the speed of the other road users you share it with.

I think you've missed what I was saying. Your point is just from the motorists perspective when talking about ample room and visibility. What the point misses is that ample room when cars are passing you at 60km and 80km are very different things from the perceived safety perspective of a cyclist or pedestrian. Ample room often seems to mean that a motorist can get by without having to slow down and rarely means allowing a safe distance to for the other road user to safely deal with obstacles. I experience this, for example, as having to brake sharply so that I can navigate a pothole or badly placed storm drain cover safely because a motor vehicle is on top of me (behind or side) and not allowing me space to navigate around the hazard. I'm assuming this is a consequence of a lack of visibility of such road hazards on the part of the motorist. At higher motor vehicle speeds the danger to a cyclist when encountering such a hazard is increased. So, while the speed limit may same overly restrictive to a motorist it actually seems sensible from a cyclists perspective and you perceive the road as safe to cycle on by virtue of space and the speed of the other road users you share it with.

If you really feel that way do you think that that speed limit should apply to all roads that have houses/roads leading onto them which is basically every road in ireland? This road is no different to the Tuam Road, infact id argue that its safer for cyclists as the hard shoulder is the same standard as the main road where hit allowing cyclists to keep off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Sure go to court and try the freeman method! speed....pay the fine...simple. i'll meet you all at the roundabout.:)

I cant give you any source for this claim only what I know from around my own location. I can think of 3 minor road that have had deaths and serious injuries on them. These roads don't have hugh amounts of traffic on them and you wont see a speed van on them.

The speed limit on the Monivea Road is what it is. Anyone who drives faster than the posted limit risks getting a fine. If they're willing to pay that price for their speeding then good luck to them, they must have more money than sense.

It is not the prerogative of any individual motorist to decide for themselves what is "a safe speed on a safe road with a stupidly low speed limit". If a speed limit has been incorrectly set, then there is a process to have it changed. Somebody somewhere decided long ago that this stretch of the Monivea Road should be 60 kph. I have no idea what the basis for that decision was, but I can see no point in opposing it by simply driving at a speed greater than 60 kph. Maybe the local residents or businesses asked for 60 kph? What right does any motorist have to decide that they know better than whoever asked for or decided on 60 kph?

Anecdotal evidence from individual motorists about crashes in particular locations is not a solid enough basis for planning a speed surveillance programme. There has to be a database somewhere keeping a record of all collisions and crash sites. Since there are also survey vans out there, and an annual survey of free speeds, there must be a map of speeding hot-spots somewhere as well. I hope the RSA, GoSafe and AGS are taking a more rational and evidence-based approach to the siting of speed cameras. One advantage of frequent spot checks in random locations is that it raises the general level of awareness and encourages greater compliance with speed limits generally.

If you really feel that way do you think that that speed limit should apply to all roads that have houses/roads leading onto them which is basically every road in ireland? This road is no different to the Tuam Road, infact id argue that its safer for cyclists as the hard shoulder is the same standard as the main road where hit allowing cyclists to keep off the road.
    Any road where there isn't adequate lane width to allow a safe distance between cyclist and motorist, yes. Also, where the surface of the road is not at a standard for that speed.

Any road where there isn't adequate lane width to allow a safe distance between cyclist and motorist, yes. Also, where the surface of the road is not at a standard for that speed.

So based on this road meeting your criteria(wide, good visiability, good hard shoulder surface) do you agree that an 80kph speed limit is adequate for this road(between the airport and kiltulla turn off)

So based on this road meeting your criteria(wide, good visiability, good hard shoulder surface) do you agree that an 80kph speed limit is adequate for this road(between the airport and kiltulla turn off)
    For that specific section, sure I'd agree it's reasonable.

biko wrote: »
    Heard on the radio that Noel G wanted the speed limit upped to 80 where it's 60 now or something to that effect, was only half listening.

I didn't hear that radio interview, and there is nothing in the local press AFAIK. However, it has been suggested to me by a Galway Co Co roads engineer that the section with the 60 kph limit may shortly be increased to 80 kph. I can't confirm that, so we'll just have to wait and see. I had contacted the Council to ask about the criteria for making it 60 kph in the first place. No answer yet, but even if it's increased to 80 in the meantime I'd still like to know what the rationale and process is for any change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Two cases in the letters page of this weeks Galway Advertiser of being caught speeding on the Airport Road, one very sad case of the Father whose daughter was killed on that road.

Read Here: http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/launch.aspx?referral=other&refresh=2o1LyX504p0S&PBID=a2fc81f2-0ccf-4dbf-aca1-00bedf4bde35&skip=

One of those letters is about process/procedure (the speed limit sign was missing, allegedly) and the other about the painful vagaries of our justice system.

The driver involved in the incident mentioned by the letter writer pleaded guilty to a charge of Careless Driving and so the court's hands were tied in that regard. The fine was €1500 at the time. By the way, I think the references to alcohol in the Advertiser archive report are worth noting.

The Law Reform Commission has recommended the enactment of a new offence of Careless Driving Causing Death. I don't know whether that has happened yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Please don't turn this thread into a whole right v wrong debate over this fatal accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

One of those letters is about process/procedure (the speed limit sign was missing, allegedly) and the other about the painful vagaries of our justice system.

The driver involved in the incident mentioned by the letter writer pleaded guilty to a charge of Careless Driving and so the court's hands were tied in that regard. The fine was €1500 at the time. By the way, I think the references to alcohol in the Advertiser archive report are worth noting.

The Law Reform Commission has recommended the enactment of a new offence of Careless Driving Causing Death. I don't know whether that has happened yet.

Someone made the decision to charge the driver with careless driving, ainor offence, rather than dangerous driving, a far more serious offence. Alternatively, a guilty plea to careless may have been accepted rather than prosecuting dangerous. Whatever occured procedurally, it's tragic that a death only led to a minor and insignificant conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Two cases in the letters page of this weeks Galway Advertiser of being caught speeding on the Airport Road, one very sad case of the mother whose daughter was killed on that road.

Read Here: http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/launch.aspx?referral=other&refresh=2o1LyX504p0S&PBID=a2fc81f2-0ccf-4dbf-aca1-00bedf4bde35&skip=

It was the father who wrote the letter about his daughter.

churchview wrote: »
    Someone made the decision to charge the driver with careless driving, ainor offence, rather than dangerous driving, a far more serious offence. Alternatively, a guilty plea to careless may have been accepted rather than prosecuting dangerous. Whatever occured procedurally, it's tragic that a death only led to a minor and insignificant conviction.

Painful, as I said. As a parent of two young children I feel sick at the thought that such a thing could happen to either of them, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

was busey this morning putting up two signs ,:D one coming from grealish,s shop the other just at the little bend before the hurling pitch , also ive put a sign of a camera on top of the 80 km,s speed sign. its a joke that it comes to this when people complained about the signage rather the lack of them. can some one tell me if there is any sign,s coming from cussaun cross with 80km on it as far as hurling pitch? if there is i need glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Whats a joke is you facilitating people that want to speed and get away with it. People will always speed and the points and fines are the incentives for them not to do so, you obviously don't want people to get caught speeding which is frankly idiotic if you ask me.

Secondly it is easy to find out the stretches of road that these vans patrol on so anyone that does get caught must be too thick and lazy to find out.

Camera Locations available here http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

Whats a joke is you facilitating people that want to speed and get away with it. People will always speed and the points and fines are the incentives for them not to do so, you obviously don't want people to get caught speeding which is frankly idiotic if you ask me.

Secondly it is easy to find out the stretches of road that these vans patrol on so anyone that does get caught must be too thick and lazy to find out.

Camera Locations available here http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497

I do not see how he is facilitating, as you say. You said yourself that the camera locations are public domain. He is making that information a bit more accesible. If a "speed camera" sign along a "speed limit" sign would slow people down, then I say put up the sign.

The only way not to get caught is to slow down. The aim of the "safety/speed cameras" is to slow people down, not to make money of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The mother may well have been caught on the Tuam Road Tuesday night. Doing precisely 58km/hr in a 50 area with a line of traffic after her. Guards parked facing town on the Kenny's Garage side, at the top of the hill in the pitch dark with no lights on. Tis a goldmine I'd say!

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    The mother may well have been caught on the Tuam Road Tuesday night. Doing precisely 58km/hr in a 50 area with a line of traffic after her. Guards parked facing town on the Kenny's Garage side, at the top of the hill in the pitch dark with no lights on. Tis a goldmine I'd say!

Was that figure cited on the ticket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Was that figure cited on the ticket?
    No not no ticket yet but she's just worried as she was caught on the same stretch a few months ago. When I first saw the Guards and looked at the speed twas 58, I'm assuming we'll see the ticket in the post next week!

Advertisement