Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caught speeding on moniva road

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

cats.life wrote: »
    was busey this morning putting up two signs ,:D one coming from grealish,s shop the other just at the little bend before the hurling pitch , also ive put a sign of a camera on top of the 80 km,s speed sign. its a joke that it comes to this when people complained about the signage rather the lack of them. can some one tell me if there is any sign,s coming from cussaun cross with 80km on it as far as hurling pitch? if there is i need glasses.

I think there are 80KM/H at Cartymore cross. Not sure if there are any at Coshla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    No not no ticket yet but she's just worried as she was caught on the same stretch a few months ago. When I first saw the Guards and looked at the speed twas 58, I'm assuming we'll see the ticket in the post next week!

Just wondering. 58 sounds very precise. My car has the older MPH/kph speedometer and I would not be able to read my speed as accurately as that.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    No not no ticket yet but she's just worried as she was caught on the same stretch a few months ago. When I first saw the Guards and looked at the speed twas 58, I'm assuming we'll see the ticket in the post next week!

I'd be very suprised if she does get a ticket as the speedo has a margin for error on the high side. Your actual speed is probably on the 50KM/H limit. It would be very interesting, if she does get a ticket, to see what the actual speed recorded was. Then you would have a good idea what the margin for error is!

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Just wondering. 58 sounds very precise. My car has the older MPH/kph speedometer and I would not be able to read my speed as accurately as that.
    Digital speedo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Only noticed in the passed week that they now have a speed camera signed placed above the speed limit signs on the airport road.
    There's also an extra sign for the speed limit near where the speed van normally parks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

i got 2 points for doing 70 there on jan 25
    it said on the letter that it occured in kiltullagh, claregalway
    it should have been kiltullagh oranmore
    check your notices everyone
    i don't know when this was corrected but any incident in jan or early
    feb should be elligible as i know people who were got in jan and early feb

i emailed the appropriate email adress saying no such address
    existed and as a result ill be getting my points removed and
    monies refunded

pm me if you want more info or just the address to send it to or even
    just what to say
    ill be working in an hour but will respond when i get home at midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

the blue van on the road , skool to airport ... there now ... smile you got points

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The whole speeding thing on that road is a load of bo..ox when you look at the side roads, it is a money making exercise nothing else.

Marked van there again this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

extraice wrote: »
    the blue van on the road , skool to airport ... there now ... smile you got points

I thought they should look like this:
    http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Image%20of%20Van3.pdf

Definitely not blue.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The new Gatso van is a High Roof Transit . RED Coloured 10 KY registration. By the time you see the plate you're nicked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The new Gatso van is a High Roof Transit . RED Coloured 10 KY registration. By the time you see the plate you're nicked :D

If it's on a KY plate, its a 'safety' van, not a garda Gatso.

Safety vans have a camera symbol and hi vis paint and they are not high roofed. The KY is a gatso with no markings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That van is sorely needed on Bóthar na dTreabh/N6 from the Headford Road roundabout east to the Ballybane roundabout. The heavily advertised 50kph on that road is blatantly ignored.

snubbleste wrote: »
    That van is sorely needed on Bóthar na dTreabh/N6 from the Headford Road roundabout east to the Ballybane roundabout. The heavily advertised 50kph on that road is blatantly ignored.

Bye-laws were drafted in 2007 to raise the limit to 80kph. Somehow they never got debated by the city council. I was publicising them on boards.ie.

Personally, I think 50kph is too low. You will get trucks behind you tailgating.

They should put concrete on the median and raise the speed limit.

They cannot raise the speed limit because there is an entrance to Glenburren Park near the Tuam Road roundabout. So that would have to be changed. Also there are houses on the Headford Road portion, where pedestrians have been seriously injured and died crossing the road. Meantime it's a heavily advertised 50kph twenty-four hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Safety vans have a camera symbol and hi vis paint and they are not high roofed. The KY is a gatso with no markings.

Then it's a GoSafe recon van recording footage for analysis of traffic volume, average speeds, checkpoint location determination etc. There have been several of them in operation here since the end of last year. Enforcement in this Garda division did not commence until February.

These are GoSafe vans, not GATSO and are not operated by the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

go to jimmy norman facebook page and he has a foto of a gosafe van CLAMPED, so sweet to see it.

Then it's a GoSafe recon van
    That could well be the case. The marked vans are supposed to do the enforcement but there is a Recon/Survey element to the contract explained too.

The Red 10KY must be a Gosafe Survey van not a Garda gatso van,ahh. I heard of a 10 KY Red Renault Master van too. I assumed the van was a Gatso when I saw it. So there are 3 types of van out there doing traffic enforcement, but only 2 of them count. The white or silver 08 D High Roof tranny must still be with us.

http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=7071&Lang=1
    On a phased basis, GoSafe will provide 6,000 enforcement hours and 1,475 survey hours per month across the country. For the 6,000 enforcement hours, the cameras will operate from vans which will be marked with high visibility reflective material and will display a safety camera symbol. Images of the vans are available on the Garda website. The survey hours will be conducted from unmarked vans, in order to accurately observe and record the speeds at which vehicles are currently travelling, for survey purposes only.

The survey van cannot give you points or a fine, it is not on enforcement duty! If they try then sue the cnuts :)This yoke means you are nicked.

Check the maps too. http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497

Tribune reporting on the wrong address being used in speeding fines..months later.
    Loophole lets drivers off the hook on penalty points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

I just got 'caught' speeding there also at the end of July. I couldn't understand this as I always thought this was an 80kph zone and I stick by and large to the speedlimits.

So I took another trip out the Monivea road and I see that a good number of the signs in the area are covered by trees etc. See this example. This and the fact that it was night time makes it difficult to see them when I was snapped. I found guidance on signage on the Dept. Transport website here (see section 5.1.17 and table 5.1).

I am wondering is there any sort of appeals process other than court (I dont want a court appearance as well as the risk of a heavier penalty). Do I have justification for feeling that had the signs been more clearly visible I could have noted the limits and adjusted my speed accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

MaxFlower wrote: »
    I just got 'caught' speeding there also at the end of July. I couldn't understand this as I always thought this was an 80kph zone and I stick by and large to the speedlimits.

So I took another trip out the Monivea road and I see that a good number of the signs in the area are covered by trees etc. See this example. This and the fact that it was night time makes it difficult to see them when I was snapped. I found guidance on signage on the Dept. Transport website here (see section 5.1.17 and table 5.1).

I am wondering is there any sort of appeals process other than court (I dont want a court appearance as well as the risk of a heavier penalty). Do I have justification for feeling that had the signs been more clearly visible I could have noted the limits and adjusted my speed accordingly.

Has there been a fall-off in hedge trimming due to cutbacks (pun not intended)? Or is it a seasonal thing?

On the other hand, which side were you approaching from?

This is the situation just after Carnmore Cross, heading towards Galway City. Not much vegetation there.

Just now I can't find the signs on the City side.

op i know how you feel, do you go that road often? arnt there signs after you clear the other side of lights as you aproach the airport? i think thats the sign thats i bit coverd in trees, the other one is the other side of that. i dont go that road anymore ,i go the motor way is much better. i think you will have to pay the 80e and get two points . what address is on the letter you got? cos there is an issue with that , on the letter it should read oranmore not carnmore or somthing. i over heard some one chating about it, that they got of paying cos of wrong address where they were caught like you.

I was heading towards Galway and I wouldn't use the address thing as I am guilty of breaking the limit.

The problem I have is that these signs (on my side of the road - that’s where all the pics were taken) are obscured thus not allowing me the opportunity to see them, they may as well not have been there.

I will probably pay the fine but I will try to appeal. I plan on ringing the 1890 number on the notification at some stage tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

My sister went to court last year.
    She was coming from the airport towards Briarhill and was caught doing 57kph in the 50 kph zone.
    In court she showed a photo of the 50 kph sign on her side which was covered by overgrown bushes, and explained that there must have been a truch coming against her in the opposite direction, covering the sign on the other side.
    She lives in Dublin so the judge gave her the benefit of the doubt.

MaxFlower wrote: »
    I was heading towards Galway and I wouldn't use the address thing as I am guilty of breaking the limit.

The problem I have is that these signs (on my side of the road - that’s where all the pics were taken) are obscured thus not allowing me the opportunity to see them, they may as well not have been there.

I will probably pay the fine but I will try to appeal. I plan on ringing the 1890 number on the notification at some stage tomorrow.

If you pay the fine, you are admitting liability. Ring the number on the notice and explain the situation.

Fight it in the court, it is worth it. You have a statutory instrument and proof. You need to make a movie, in order to prove that the pictures taken of the hidden signs are really on that road. So get somebody with you in the car and make the movie asap or they will argue that the vegetation has grown in between.

DanielI wrote: »
    If you pay the fine, you are admitting liability. Ring the number on the notice and explain the situation.

Fight it in the court, it is worth it. You have a statutory instrument and proof. You need to make a movie, in order to prove that the pictures taken of the hidden signs are really on that road. So get somebody with you in the car and make the movie asap or they will argue that the vegetation has grown in between.
    there are 60kms signs as you leave the carnmore lights plenty of view on what speed you should be going.they are just after the lights, you may aswell pay the fine op and learn by the mistake, i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Just now I can't find the signs on the City side.

They're just after the bothrín at the bottom of the hill after Briarhill school (Ballintemple). Going toward town these are for 50 km/h, IIRC the outbound 50 km/h signs are just after the Briarhill rab.

I rang the tel. number on the notification and the only way to query this is to go to court with it. Too much of a risk in my mind as there are some signs visible as others here have said. Might as well take down the others though for all the use they are.

Its looking like I will pay this. I only have a week left.

• Advertisement
Advertisement