Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In Need of Mechanical Advice

• 20-02-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

I have a Suzuki sj 1.3 she has been going grand for ages now suddenly yesterday I got into it and the gearbox felt all tight and stiff. Now I tried to start her and she revs then stalls I tried upping the tick over but it did not work.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So there's 2 issues?
    Gearbox and it stalls?

Try cleaning the MAF and throttle body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭pachey100

Sorry not that mechanical MAF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭pie-man

best bet is to leave it into a garage mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You could say that about all the DIY Maintenance & Repair threads tbh. It wouldn't be much of a forum at that stage though.... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

The OP's admission of non mechanical does not go well with the notion of a DIY repair.

I suspect OP is looking for ideas of whats wrong and possible costs.

• Advertisement

i understand what you saying chris. but if he doesnt know what maf means then my best advice to him is to leave it into a garage. however if he demonstrated abit of knowledge i and other members could probably help alot more.

anywho heres helping abit more. what year is she. what do you mean when say you upped the tickover(was this an adjustment under the bonnet or did you just press the accelerator a bit more). this problem could be caused by a number of things. id connect a scan tool. check for fault codes. look at live data.

the gearbox feeling all tight and stiff could be a problem with the selectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Fair point.

@OP - if you're not intending to get out the spanners and give this a go, we'd be better off moving this to the main forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Nearly every thread in this forum isn't DIY related. Could we have a sticky like the feedback forum spammer thread where we can put links to the offending threads - that way you guys get a heads up without the reporting nonsense.

When I say not that mechanical I mean in terms of not getting the whole mechanical jargon. She is a 91 I increased the tick over at the carb but no joy then found out when I leave the choke open she runs well. I would amagine its something to do with a fuel block or the fuel pump.

Through any advice me way.

check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge shoud be between 0.25-0.35bar

also check ignition timing with a timing light shoud be approx 10 degrees btdc at approx 850 rpm(vaccum disconnected)

aswell ideally any fuel adjustments should be done connected to a emissions machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

When the engine is off, see is it easy to select the gears.

I got the stalling sorted just a bit of fiddling with the timing and the carb and all is well.

PLUG.
    the gears are easier to shift when the engine is off.

Advertisement