Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Dublin or Cork can you test a large range of studio/hifi headphones?

Options
  • 20-02-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I can only read so many conflicting reviews on Amazon before I'm withered.

I'm in the process of researching a good set of studio cans or could maybe settle for a set for a personal hifi - my budget for the studio ones are 150 to 250 max.

Where in Dublin or Cork (I can get to each as easily) would I find a place that would let me test headphones for as long as I liked, and stock a good selection of either Beyerdynamic, AKG, Sennheiser, Sony, Audio Technica or similar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

big bear sounds in dublin 8.

but you'll need to up your budget for a good set.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 RipItUp

big bear sounds in dublin 8.

but you'll need to up your budget for a good set.

Thanks for that. I know you should go up in price, but I just can't afford it. Some of the cans I've been looking at are going for cheap on that German musical website that I won't quote for fear of the admin. Hence, I can get a €350 set for maybe €275. I know I should buy within the country; I will if the offer is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

I disagree, the initial budget is about right. Beyerdynamic DT-150, AKG K 272 and Sennheiser HD25II are around that price, all are worthy especially the Senn's IMO.

but he initially said a good set of studio headphones. if he'd asked for a decent workable set then thats different but for "good" i'd be looking at 770s and upwards.

@OP
    there's no worries saying thomann around here ;) if they give you the best deal then go for it. shops over here are starting to catch up a little on prices but theres still some great deals to be had on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

a good set of studio headphones
    Yes, the three I listed are in this category. The HD25II are omnipresent.

• Advertisement

i'd call them decent. lets agree to disagree ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Just found this thread.

In the market for headphones.

Listened to Bowers and Wilkins P7 phones in Cloney Audio (Tower Records) today. Incredible.

But, Sennheiser HD-650 here for €322 looks like a no-brainer. http://www.thomann.de/ie/sennheiser_hd650_hifi_kopfhoerer.htm

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Just found this thread.

In the market for headphones.

Listened to Bowers and Wilkins P7 phones in Cloney Audio (Tower Records) today. Incredible.

But, Sennheiser HD-650 here for €322 looks like a no-brainer. http://www.thomann.de/ie/sennheiser_hd650_hifi_kopfhoerer.htm

D.

just got a pair of 650s, ive never been happier with a set of cans. at that price you should buy 2! :)

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am very tempted by the 650s.

But, their open design versus the semi-closed design of the P7s may swing it to B&W for me, since I would be using them at work and commuting mostly, not really at home.

Secondly, the build quality of the P7s is exquisite - all that leather and polished steel.

But, isn't it great to have choice at a price that isn't silly? :P

Decisions....decisions....

Thanks again.

D.

Ps.

The P7 cable comes iPhone ready with a remote control and microphone. Do the 650s? If not, is this something that can be added later?

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement

Dinarius wrote: »
    Ps.

The P7 cable comes iPhone ready with a remote control and microphone. Do the 650s? If not, is this something that can be added later?

Thanks.

D.

i dont think so but then the 650 is aimed at the pro recording market, whereas the p7 is clearly a consumer product.

take a look at the 2 of the specs.

freq range
    HD650: 10hz 39.6khz
    P7: 10hz to 20khz

THD (harmonic distortion)
    HD650: .05%
    P7: .3%

that clearly shows that the P7 would have little place in a studio situation (beyond cue mix cans) but will probably be a stunning listening experience, designed with minimum ear fatigue in mind.

on the other hand, the HD650 will give you huge clarity all the way thru the frequency range, beyond where the P7 could ever get you but because of this, long term listening can become a little uncomfortable.

if you look at the frequency response chart of both, it becomes more apparent that they are indeed intended for different markets.

this is the P7. you can clearly see a huge dip at 3/4k. this will immediately dip any harshness in a song. you can also see another dip around the 200hz mark, which is where a lot of mud clutters up a song.
    P7-frquency-response.jpg

if you look at the HD650 chart, it is a much smoother affair altogether, with the only significant dip up in the highs (which is what i would expect from a headphone anyway, they can never carry the air of a bigger driver.
    sennheiser_hd_650_frequency_response.png?4746

just as an interesting reference, this is the frequency response of my nearfield monitors. notice how flat and even it is compared to either set of headphone? unfortunately it takes a lot of work in your room to get that flat response to translate thru the air.
    mackie_hr824_dist.gif

i use my 650s as a double check when working on my nearfield monitors. im not sure i could stand them for more than an hour at a time.

so depending on your needs, one will be much more suitable than the other.

Thanks for that.

P7s look like the way to go for me.

But, one more question.........why would someone prefer open rather than closed headphones, or vice versa?

Thanks.

D.

open back let you judge space a lot more naturally due to crossfeed, they also exhibit 'air' closer to what nearfield monitors would put out. unfortunately, EVERYONE within 50 metres will be hearing your music, so they arent ideal for the bus!

closed back can also suffer from resonance problems that open back side-step, thru design.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

For all-around studio/live/everyday cans, these:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/sony_mdr7506_kopfhoerer.htm

are hard to beat! I've had the same pair since 1992 - that's 22 years of use and some pretty serious abuse too. They're not the most expensive or the most accurate cans, but you can get a lowdown on any mix pretty quickly with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭guitarrrszz

big bear sound is a godd spot!

big bear sound is a godd spot!

Their website could do with some serious updating.

Wouldn't draw me to them, I have to say.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Big Bear are great, extremely knowledgable pro-audio people

Advertisement